Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-04-2007, 11:12 PM Reply   
I am strongly considering purchasing a used 2003 X-Star in great condition with very low hours. I am hearing some mixed reviews on the X-Star, and I wanted to get some peoples opinions on it. I am only looking for people who have either owned the boat or are VERY familiar with it. No bashing just because you own a malibu of something... lol.

I am looking for some info on the bow dipping, acceleration, and handeling, plus any other opinions you might have about the boat.

ALSO ALSO ALSO!!!!!... I am wondering what a boat like this might be worth. The boat I am considering has a diesel engine with around 50 hours and a 5 year/2000 hour warrenty. It is yellow, with trailer, bimini, cover, ballast, perfect pass, and tower speakers.

I need some thoughts AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!

Thank you in advance
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-04-2007, 11:19 PM Reply   
Mixed reviews on x-stars???

I don't see too many bad reviews on xstars.

Diesel??? Where at and how much?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-04-2007, 11:22 PM Reply   
Diesel engine? In an x-star? I don't know if I'd buy that boat.

With a regular EFI engine, the 2003 x-star is an excellent boat with a pro-level wake.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-05-2007, 12:10 AM Reply   
Yeah it has a diesel and I really like the idea of it.... better fuel economy, less harmful emmisions, and apperently this baot ran head up with a regular XSTAR and out performed it in almost all catagories!!

Also, I know the wake is insane!! I love it. No questions about it.

My concerns are more about how often the bow dipps under, and how the boat handles compared to my 22 Moomba Kamberra which handles like a dream!
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-05-2007, 4:15 AM Reply   
Chris - we have been running the new X-Star since 03 - we just put our new 07 into the water a couple of weeks ago. The wake is sick - the fit and finish etc is top notch IMO.

With regards to your specific questions, dipping bow, handling etc -

You need to be a little more careful with taking big rollers over the bow (especially when running slammed) - normally just being aware and giving a little gas when going over them makes sure there are no issues- We hardly ever have issues with this.

I don’t know how the boat handles vs. the Kamberra, however, we have no issues with the handling whatsoever - its fine considering the amount of weight we run. One thing to consider would be upgrading the rudder to the newer, bigger version that allot of the MC's received in 06/07.

Hope this helps a little - hit me back if you need further details.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-05-2007, 4:55 AM Reply   
The boat handles great, I would imagine much better than the boat you currently have. It rides a little rough, but the regular drivetrain is summer smooth. I would imagine you will have more issues with fuel and ballast pumps than anything, although I don't think I would go after a diesel. Excuse the rambling I just woke up.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-05-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
diesel motors are heavier than gas motors... More ballast lol.

i dont think the emissions will be much better tho. what diesel motor is it. Nice thing is it will run forever
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-05-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
Chris,
I am not aware that a diesel engine was an option from Mastercraft on that boat. Was this a custom job? If so, is there any warranty and if so, who provides the warranty?
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-05-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
We just got a new 07 x-star and herd all the rumors about how bad the nose dipped and it handles like a pig and so on but we haven't dipped the nose once yet. We already have 25 hrs on it in two weeks and loaded it down with about 4000lbs no nose dip but it we did have to be a little more careful. We dipped our old boats (205v) nose way more so I don't consider this an issue.

As for the handling, turns on a dime when idling around rather surprising but she handles great for a bigger boat. I wouldn't say it handles much different then the rest of the boats it's size. Handles best with about 1000lbs of ballast.
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-07-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
i read awhile back that VolksWagen and MasterCraft were going to begin putting their diesel engine in the boat. I saw a video of a pro star 190 cruising around the test lake with the engine in it. Ill try to find the website or if any of you know what I'm talking about...
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-07-2007, 4:37 PM Reply   
found it-

http://www.planetwaterski.com/report/dmc.htm