Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-15-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
I am looking for anyone who has ridden either the B52 or Wakesetter for wake surfing. Which one has the best wake? I am don't really want to add sacks. Can anyone help?
John
Old     (512boarder)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-15-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
i know the malibu doesnt have a huge wake at low speed like i would assume were used for surfing. even with the MLS and wedge, but i have read that the B52 Team Edition has like 2100 pounds of ballast so one would assume that the B52 might have a bit better wake. also the B52's ballast tanks are under the floorboards and everything so storage is unhindered by them. go to MBsports.net to get all the info on the B52's
Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       08-15-2004, 2:05 PM Reply   
dude a b-52v3 team is a lot better not to many people have them tons of people on my lake have wakesetters it gets old after a while get th b-52
-alex-
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-15-2004, 2:58 PM Reply   
i'd go with the malibu
Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       08-15-2004, 3:59 PM Reply   
for got to post the b-52 v3team is bettter for surfing. i know a person with one the surf wake is awesome
-alex-
Old    painterdrew            08-15-2004, 9:17 PM Reply   
I dont know how any of you can say that the VLX is not good for surfing. I had an 03 wakesetter VLX and is was great for surfing. I would throw a huge wave with a clean very rideable face. I have an 05 VLX now and it is also great for surfing. Im sure the b-52 is a great boat i have never been out in one so I will not be offering up any negatives or implied negatives about thing I dont know.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-15-2004, 9:53 PM Reply   
How does the 05 VLX wake compare to the 03?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-16-2004, 12:22 AM Reply   
On the new '05 VLX, the tanks are also under the floorboard.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-16-2004, 10:11 AM Reply   
I have been in contact with both Malibu and MB and they both claim a waist high wave. Malibu said you need to add a sack with a couple of guys and you get a waist high wave were MB says if you add half a sack you can get waist high. I am use to surfing in the ocean so I am hoping to get a steep face that is somewhat ridable. Anyone have any pics they can post?
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-18-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
One sac, MLS in corner, and wedge.

Old    davelina            08-18-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
I have a 04 B-52...huge surf wake and tons of room left...I don't run a sack, only the side ballast tankwhere one is surfing and the front tank...awesome...plus no sacks to mess with or move, just hit the switches! tons of storage, I can fit 4-5 boards in each side of boat and all the life jackets, etc...huge advantage
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-18-2004, 12:41 PM Reply   
And did the B52 have a big wake for wakeboarding ?? more big than the SANTE or X-Star or not ?
Old    davelina            08-18-2004, 12:58 PM Reply   
The b52 has a greaat wake....factory ballast only...can't say whether it's better or worse then any other boat....lots of factors...people,weight added, how much storage do you want or need.....
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-27-2004, 6:07 PM Reply   
This our surfwake with factory balast.
Old     (jumpman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-28-2004, 8:17 AM Reply   
I have ridden in most different manufactures boats and by far i would go with a B-52. just sitting in it you can tell the difference in quality compared to any other boat. I had 9 people and 1600lbs of ballast and with the Split 28 Two speed transmission i couldn't tell that i had 9 people in the boat.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-28-2004, 12:41 PM Reply   
ive ridden and surfed behind both. the quality is much better on the malibu inside and out. im not a fan of the whole flame crap. the rear storage doors on either side of the engine are heavy as sht on the b-52 and dont even sit flush against the opening (ie there is a gap). this is probably intentional, but nonetheless i dont like it at all. the glove box lid just feels cheap, and i dont think it sat flush either (no, this isnt a huge deal, there are a lot of little things that i dont like). malibu on the other hand has one of the best fit and finishes on the market. the wake has a MUCH better shape in my opinion, and i was much more comfortable surfing behind it.
nonetheless the "best wake" is purely subjective and you should really demo BOTH boats instead of listening to a bunch of people that A) own a b-52 or malibu that have never been behind any other boats or B) people that havent been behind either. im not saying you should listen to me since i have, but rather that you really should decide for yourself what is better.

i DO have to say that there is a reason why malibu is one of the most popular boats out there...
Old    davelina            08-28-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
It's number game....malibu is popular because they mass produced like Natique, MC, etc...MB builds one boat at a time and make less than 350 a year.... check the warranty...there is a reason they give the best warranty hands down... all anodized parts and gel coat...no decals!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-28-2004, 2:12 PM Reply   
davelina- having the best warranty means that they stand behind their product, not that their product is any better than anyone else's. look at hyperlite- they have a great warranty, but their products also break more often than anyone else's. also using anodized parts and no stickers wouldnt even begin to steer me towards a b-52.

looking back i dont think i worded my post right. didnt really take into account the fact that mb, sanger, etc make their products one at a time. that doesnt make them any better than the rest, though, just different. as a matter of fact, i believe it was CC that has won the JD power and associate's award for initial quality (and they mass produce).

what awards has mb recieved for their product? how much did your b-52 v3 cost? i believe a nicely equuipped 05 vlx runs in the upper 40s out the door.
Old    bigj            08-28-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
dave&lina,
Hyundai has the best warranty in the automotive industry, But i wouldnt be caught dead in one of those either.

Malibu hands down.
Old    painterdrew            08-28-2004, 10:46 PM Reply   
Lets keep in mind that there is no "bad" choise here. They are both quality products. Im sure that i would enjoy using either one. Its not like we are compairing either one to a low end IO with a 4cyl or a yamaha over sized jet ski boat.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       08-29-2004, 1:23 AM Reply   
Hey, easy on the Hyundai!! It's the best $400 I ever spent...it keeps me on the water here in Korea

Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-29-2004, 3:27 AM Reply   
What kind of wake does the Hyundai produce Greg?? Is that a Team Edition?
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-29-2004, 7:58 PM Reply   
scott a - Are you having a bad day or what.

John clearly asked about the surfwake. You turn that into a opportunity to bad mouth the other boat. Your pet peaves don't help him at all except to make it obivious how you dilike MB boats.
The Malibu VLX boats have tribal/flames on both sides their boats ! (MC also) Stickers or not. Fit and finish is in the eye of the buyer.
Your "awards" comment is comical. Do you only buy or use produts that have won awards ?
Hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-30-2004, 12:32 AM Reply   
Scott did seem a little crankier than usual but his opinion is just as valuable as somebody else who has spent time in both boats. Always the key to making these decisions is to test drive and make your own conclusions, but getting other peoples opinions is good too because it highlights areas to pay special attention too when doing the test drive.

Word on the street is the Tige's have the best surf wakes available.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2004, 5:14 AM Reply   
Tige...best wake.... phhhhssst (hands in the air)
Great boat if you like using the warranty.

Dave, Bu is by far not "mass-produced". Everyboat is custom,hand layed and water tested prior to leaving. There are over 350+ color combos to pick from to make it your own.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-30-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
Thanks for all you help plus the pictures. I chose the B-52 V3 team edition with the two speed. Personal preference I guess. I pick it up this friday 8/3/04 I'll post a picture of it when I get it.
John
Old    chavezychavez            08-30-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
Clete, Scott mentioned what he thought of the surf wake.

Also, I would not take his opinion for granted, he is quite the boat-whore and has been in and behind just about everything out there....
Old     (pfleiger)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-30-2004, 9:43 AM Reply   
Buy this B52.....so sick http://missionrvandmarine.com/moredetails.html?74353511&sitecode=missionrvandmar ine
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-30-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
Chavez -
I saw he "mentioned" the surfwake. That's all good. His experience with the boats here is certainly a good thing. I got that.
Didn't get why his negative comments were so pointed.
Thanks for the info.

John - Congrats and enjoy yourself.

Old    chavezychavez            08-30-2004, 11:15 AM Reply   

quote:

Didn't get why his negative comments were so pointed.

Hehe, because he is Scott a.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-30-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
No its because he is a butts like Scott a.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-30-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
Oh and congradulations John, I'm sure you are going to be stoked.
Old    deltahoosier            08-30-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
I've owned MB and Malibu. Malibu all the way. I would have to see MB's new boats and ride them. I was not impressed in my dealings with the dealer so that really changes my perspective. Malibu, for instance, is all fiberglass. I thought MB was until I started looking to the side panels and things and under the dash. Maybe the new boats are different, but, mine was an '98 BOSS 210 (the same boat as the B52 from that year). I even prefered my friends Sanger well over my MB from that year.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-30-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
clete- i am sorry that it upsets you that i do not like the boat you own. ive been on a whole lot of different boats and there are things that i dont like about each one. it just so happens that there are a lot of things i didnt like with the b-52s.

ralph: the surf wake on Bill J's tige 22i actually looks really nice.

again i'll ask: how much do the b-53 v3's go for? what about with the 2 speed?
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-30-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
scott a - I respect informed objective points of view on here. Your pet peavs didn't upset me. Can't help with today's boat prices but when I made a decision at he begining of the year these were my choices after negotiating with what I feel were good dealers.

More than willing to let you whore behind our fity-two (surf or board). We are in the Delta most every weekend and some weekdays.

- Feb.-Mar.04 - B52 V3 $46k - Malibu VLX $50k similar equipment - the best I could do.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-16-2004, 9:25 PM Reply   
Well I bought an 05 B52 Team edition. This picture sucks but I just wanted to post one. I'll get a better one!
Old    zboomer            09-17-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
Looks sweet to me man, congrats on the new boat!