Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-20-2014, 12:34 PM Reply   
I am not a fan of my teak platform and i saw a commercial for this stuff and thought it would look/feel good.

I did have a varnish/poly on my platform and it chipped easy and was too slick so i sanded the top of it and left the sides

I was thinking of doing the rustoleum in white on the top of the platform and doing a black stain on the sides/bottom.

Thoughts?
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-20-2014, 1:27 PM Reply   
I'm looking at using that stuff my piers and I have heard the Rustoleum Restore is rough on the feet and gets hot. Behr has a similar product called Deckover that isn't as rough. Not sure how either will last though. They haven't been out long enough for any real reviews.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-20-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
Friend of mine has the Restore on his lake house decks. The brown gets very hot in the sun and it has an rough texture on the feet. It dries with little airy cellular pockets under the surface. Seems to hold good on the flat deck but chips and peels easily on stair edge’s that get more wear and bumps from ice chests, etc. It is a good product to get a few more years out of a deck but I wouldn’t recommend using it on a swim step.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-20-2014, 9:08 PM Reply   
If you sold your teak platform for $50 you would more than cover the cost of plywood to cover with that stuff. Someone would get some nice teak for really cheap as a bonus.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-21-2014, 5:51 AM Reply   
i put that stuff on my decks last summer in TX. brown on some and off-white on another. the brown gets very hot. the white not quite so much.

you can roll and then smooth it out with a brush for less grip. no idea how it will do in a very wet environment. i don't think teak and paint work too well together anyway.

a few weeks ago i'd have given it 5 stars but most of the way through winter i'm noticing lots of cracks starting to show. it should create a shell to prevent water from penetrating and then freezing. they said it should last 10 years but i don't know if that will happen.

disclaimer- my decks were in really bad shape.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-21-2014, 7:55 PM Reply   
Nuthin beats teak like teak.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-21-2014, 7:57 PM Reply   
Teak looks great when it's wet. That's when it matters.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-21-2014, 8:19 PM Reply   
What is it you don't like about your teak deck that you think this Rustoleum product might fix? I'm not sure what question we are really answering.

General rule - sand teak with 80 or wt best 120 grit. Apply teak oil. Repeat 1-2 times per year. IMO the important part to remember is that this is a wakeboard boat. The goal isn't a gorgeous piece of furniture. The goal is a functional deck. That means you don't need to sand very well or with fine grit (you aren't serving a fancy dinner off your deck a you're just boarding up and sliding in). You just need to knock the super rough stuff off and re-seal. Most people I hear that are bitching about the pain in the butt factor with teak are severely overdoing their maintenance. Not only is over doing it more work, it can make it slicker and less functional.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-21-2014, 8:31 PM Reply   
I dont mind the wooden look but i dont want to have teak oil trailing my boat all the time or getting on boards, i personally have never used it but i have heard it can be a pain in the but. I was just looking for a less maintenance solution. This doesnt seem to be it.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-22-2014, 10:53 AM Reply   
Mine is from 1990 and still looks fine but I never sand it, I clean with wire brush and only oil once every couple years. It stays covered from the sun.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-22-2014, 11:07 AM Reply   
I was looking for lower maintenance, less slippery and padding for parents and grandparents who frequently swim off my boat so I just bought some gator grip and applied it over the top of my teak platform. Meets all of my needs and doesnt look bad in my opinion plus I can always peel it off if I want to.