Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-25-2012, 4:00 AM Reply   
Just something that poppped into my mind from a thread I read a while ago.
Nick Taylor wrote about his move to Remote (hope the move works for him) and his decision on where to go next.
He descibed his options as follows:

Owned by Bob - No.
Waterski company - No.
Owned by Bob - No.
Waterski company - No.
Owned by Bob - No.
Haven't heard good things from team riders - No.
I don't think they are still around - No.
WaterMonsters - Hmmmmm...
Remote - Hmmmmm...

I realise this could easily turn into a flame thread, please don't start hating.
But who did he mean?
What things that spring to mind would be
I don't think they are still around - Gator
Waterski company - CWB / Hyperlite or maybe Ronix

Any ideas?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-25-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
I grew up in a time where water-skiers and wakeboarders were at odds, but I really like to think those times are over.

The "angry old man water-skier" is all but gone. In fact, most of the young (under 40) professional water-skiers seem to look at wake boarding in a positive light. In recent years, the progressive skiers have been working hard to make the sport more appealing to young skiers and to the masses. In fact, waterskiing is making a comeback.

I don't see why a company that manufactures waterskis is not an option. They are non-competing markets and share a great deal of technology. I am more frustrated with the companies that make tubes...

P.S: I am not, nor have I ever been, a water-skier.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-25-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Just something that poppped into my mind from a thread I read a while ago.
Nick Taylor wrote about his move to Remote (hope the move works for him) and his decision on where to go next.
He descibed his options as follows:

Owned by Bob - No.
Waterski company - No.
Owned by Bob - No.
Waterski company - No.
Owned by Bob - No.
Haven't heard good things from team riders - No.
I don't think they are still around - No.
WaterMonsters - Hmmmmm...
Remote - Hmmmmm...

I realise this could easily turn into a flame thread, please don't start hating.
But who did he mean?
What things that spring to mind would be
I don't think they are still around - Gator
Waterski company - CWB / Hyperlite or maybe Ronix

Any ideas?
Doesn't Bob own CWB and Hype?
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-25-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post

The "angry old man water-skier" is all but gone.
Oh goodness that's not the case on my lake.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-25-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
I think it comes down to independence and wakeskating being recognized on its own merits, which is what wakeskaters always wanted. It's not a sideshow of wakeboarding. And It's been a long time coming, but there are more and more wakeskate only companies, and a lot of riders want to see that aspect of the market thrive. And there are some people who are working really hard to have wakeskating be recognized as its own thing, right down to a successful tour that seems better than anything that came out of wakeboarding (sorry to say, but it shows that competitions can be progressive and entertaining). And now a wakeskate only magazine is being given a second go around via the wakeskate mag. I'd also like to add that more than machines won video of the year at the wake awards, and that hasn't happened since cassette wakeskates released sfumato. And if you haven't seen more than machines, find it on vimeo because it's free and one of the best representations of wakeskating.

And this isn't to say that the waterski companies are bad...grubb is seriously one of the best ambassadors ever, and Aaron and danny are reaching different areas of the market with the distribution of obscura. But some people want to see things go in a wakeskate specific, rider driven and rider operated direction.

And in no way am I speaking for nick here, but this is how I interpret his comments. He's seriously one of the best champions for wakeskating and remote or watermonsters would have been an equally radical choice in my mind.

Last edited by electricsnow; 07-25-2012 at 4:08 PM.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-25-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
After re-reading that, I realized that I'm kind of blending the idea of wakeboard companies making wakeskates and waterski companies making wakeskates. I think to some riders, that distinction doesn't matter because it still comes down to the idea of separation and rider control. it's similar to what wakeboarding went through with its skiboarding phase. I don't know if anyone remembers Thomas horrell's profile in the standard, but he mentioned how tony Finn asked him if he thought wakeskating would be larger than wakeboarding. Thomas said, isn't that what the waterski companies asked you about wakeboarding?