Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 07, 2006

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-25-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
I'm going to be sitting down with Paul O'Brien this week to talk about his future in our industry. What kind of questions would you be interested in hearing him answer? Thanks for your help!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-25-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
which big name riders will you be bringing over to radar boards (besides me )?

who will be designing the boards?

will they be made in the usa, or overseas?

(Message edited by dakid on January 25, 2006)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-25-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
when can we see these new radar boards.

Can I go Ride at Radar Lake?

who is his favorite Rider and Why?

Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       01-25-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
1. Does he plan to continue business in the wakeboarding industry?

2. can he confirm the rumors about Radar wakeboards and if so what is the relationship, if any, to High Output Sports.

3. What really happened with Hyperlite. why did you and Herb decide to resign.

4. If you plan to continue in wakeboards will the "dream team" follow or just the employees.

5. How do you plan to gain momentum, support, and finance a new project?/
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-25-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
Go back to simple shapes that work and sell, or continue with 'gimmic' style boards?Are the big names even necessary? Some believe that it make sense to have an army of 200 riders worldwide that are good at selling equipment and riding, rather than 8 that make a podium? Continue with Major adveristing or go low key like Krown? How 'bout 5 great shapes instead of 15+ covering every rider possible? Just off the top of my head.....
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-25-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
Ya,

Is he ever going to landscape his yard? Also, could he park the helicopter in the back yard. It's an eye sore to those of us that ride by there all the time.
Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-25-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
Is it important to have fully independent owned and operated manufacturers for the health and competition?

or

Is it beneficial to have the industry led by one conglomerate with a board of directors familiar with our industry?

What ever happened to the phasers?

What group most drives the industry? Board/Ski manufacturers? Boat manufacturers or sponsored riders? Retailers?

What group most drives the sport?

Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-25-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
If he speaks to the new venture, will Brian Gardner be involved?

Can you shed some light on the importance of Brian in the history of HO/Hype?
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-25-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
what do you think of h.o.'s new president?
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-25-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
What was your favorite memory of HO?

I know the passion is the same as it was, but what about your vision / outlook on the sport?

How many shapes / molds / orignal designs are created every year, how many make it to production?

Lastly, best of luck to Herb & Paul, where ever life may lead em...

-= peace =-
Lzy
Old     (delphi)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-25-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
why the obriens decided to part ways with HL?

how does it feel to leave something they have pretty much built from the start?

in his opinion, what are the weaknesses of the industry right now? and what they expect to do about it.

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-25-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
"Why do you hate me so much Paul?"

or

"What did Steven Hahn do that pissed you off?"

Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-25-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
Will Mike Ferraro be a part of your future plans?

When will production start?

(Message edited by wakestar8878 on January 25, 2006)

(Message edited by wakestar8878 on January 25, 2006)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-25-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
Does this look infected?

how stoked are you to have the freedom to do exactly what you want?
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-25-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
What is being done by the industry (design wise or other) to make this a safer sport?

Boats are sold as a family investment (or a chick magnet). Boards are being sold as a “grunge” or “outlaw” or “attitude” motif. See stupid hats and baggy pants. Is that conflict holding both industries back esp wrt competing with I/Os for the “family guy”?

What can be done to get some boat/board synergies? For example wake (boat or weight) specific designed boards, color coordinated boards, boards with boat trademarks, boards sold with boats, etc.

Why isn’t there a board for crappy I/O wakes vs. big killer V drives (maybe the designs are the same – has anyone checked)?

Why can’t a rider get, at a reasonable price, his own graphics design and/or color options on a board?

SD2

I take Paypal
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-26-2006, 1:16 AM Reply   
It's been a while Dave!!! I don't normally comment but I do read may of the topics. This one is of real interest so I thought I'd add my 2 cents. Before I get to the questions, I'd like to say that Herb, Paul, and Brian are the premier team in the wakeboarding industry. From Eric Perez to Daniel Harf, almost every pro wakeboarder has been throught the Hyperlite Dynasty. I remember standing in the garage on Kauai with Eric Perez and watching him cut the tails off of the Hyperlite Perez and joining them together to create a prototype B.A.F.F. This backyard technology has taken the O'brien family from O'brien waterski's to H.O. Sports / Hyperlite Wakeboards. Those who have been the opportunity to see this dynamic team in production know that what they lay there hands on will eventually turn to "GOLD". With that said, I look forward to an energized beginning and wish them all the BEST. Let the questions begin:

1. Why aren't you married yet?
2. Kids? Time is ticking?
3. Hawaii R & D???
4. Board Names (Call Me I'll give them to you)?
5. Team? Need a manager???

See you in Hawaii!

Reid
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-26-2006, 4:23 AM Reply   
Paul,

1. What's your opinion on how the industry and wakeboarding itself is portrayed by the media, i.e. magazines, TV, video's, internet, etc?

2. Do you think it's a positive image or do you think it needs some changes?
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-28-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Why don't we have more women riders sponsored? Since the #1 board sold last year was the hyperlite eden/divine and most likely the most profitable you would think we would see some more female riders.... Hats off to liquid force and the Maven team.... They are seeing the light.....

It seems that the women take a backseat to the guys in this sport? Atleast have the same number of tournaments on the pro tour for them. We see alot of young upcoming female riders that are competing locally and nationally and training just as hard... It would be nice to see some more support for them.... just my 2 cents....
Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-28-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
What are you doing to capture the level ten gymnast market??? JK.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-30-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
Have your contributions to the industry gone as planned? or have they been greater/less than you originally thought?

Do you have greater aspirations than what the Hyperlight legacy reached?

Is there a way for the regular guy to provide input to the design and manufacturing process? Besides sales numbers?

I recently watched Laird Hamilton tow-in on what seemed to be a wakeboard attached to an 'air chair' foil. Will you be addressing this market?

Do you have plans to expand into the boat accessories market?
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-30-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
Did you guys pull the fire alarm as you walked out of headquarters on your last day?

(Message edited by gehennaengine on January 30, 2006)
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-03-2006, 5:54 AM Reply   
wow...