Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       11-25-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
Let me say first that I really don't know anything about audio installation. Well, we have an 03 mastercraft and have the Clarion system that all the boats come with in that year (400w and 200w amps, 4 interior speakers, 1 sub, 2 tower speakers w/ lights, and 2 tower speakers w/o lights) Well the first year we owned the boat, we blew out the 2 tower speakers w/ lights and both amps. We replaced both speakers in the tower, the 200w amp with another Clarion, and the 400w amp with a 200w JL. Fast forward to this year. After the season we blew out the other 2 tower speakers and the 200w Clarion amp that we replaced last year. As you can imagine, I'm really unhappy with what happened because I truly try to take care of our things. I don't blast the music, crank up the bass, or anything along those lines that could ruin the system. With regards to the amps, sometimes kids throw their wet towels under the seat where the amps are stored. Can the condensation off these towels cause the amps to fry? Anyways, I'm thinking of completely starting over with the tower. What do you guys recommend? I was thinking a pair of NVS speakers, but have no idea how much power to run to them. What amps should I buy? Do I need a second battery? Do I need anything else that I might not be thinking of? How much would all of this stuff cost? How hard would an install like this be? I know that this is a lot of questions, but I really don't know much about this stuff. I appreciate any advise that you guys could give me. Thanx in advance.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-25-2007, 11:25 PM Reply   
Tower speaker are easy

-----> Wetsounds <-----

Possible short in wires going into or up tower or in connector??? Your problems don't seem like a coincidence.

I'll post more tomorrow.
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       11-26-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
There isn't a short in the wires. I know this because I used a voltameter to check the volts going in and out of the amps. They were definetly getting juice but there wasn't any return. Naturally I thought it was a fuse issue, but once I changed the fuse, there still wasn't any power exiting the amps. Thanx for the advise though.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-26-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
"There isn't a short in the wires. I know this because I used a voltameter to check the volts going in and out of the amps. They were definetly getting juice but there wasn't any return. Naturally I thought it was a fuse issue, but once I changed the fuse, there still wasn't any power exiting the amps. Thanx for the advise though."

Where exactly did you probe and what were you looking for? What do you mean by "wasn't any return"

A "short" on the speaker side of an amp can cause the amp to work harder, run hotter, and eventually fail. Water and compensation will take it's toll over time too.

If you are going to go through all the time, effort and $$$ to replace/upgrade all your components, then I would recommend that you rewire everything so you know it's all good and clean with no corrosion or shorts/opens and it's all the proper gauge to handle the new components.

If you want the Best of the Best, and are willing to spend the coin, Wet Sounds and NVS's all the way. Other then that, shop your budget. Lot of good speakers out there.

My .02, decide on speakers first, then choose an amp with an output (depending on how you wire them) that will match the speaker's RMS