Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-25-2011, 2:35 PM Reply   
Anyone pick up the new GoPro HD Hero2? I was thinking about finally buying one, glad I waited!
Old     (lakeskater)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-29-2011, 11:28 AM Reply   
After reading about all the new and improved features , I am glad I sold my old one and look forward to using the new and improved Hero2. I particularly like the choice of 90, 127, or 170 degree FOV, 11 MP sensor, and the higher quality glass lens. Other upgrades include 120 FPS in WVGA mode, external mic input, wifi remote and streaming, larger easier to read LCD display, and much more. Amazon is currently sold out already, I might wait until the spring before purchasing and the price should be a bit lower by then.
Attached Images

Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-07-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
I got one about a week ago...have used it on my motorcycle, very cool footage from my helmet. I am looking forward to next summer for the boat...already have it winterized this year.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-07-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
how hard/easy is it to edit on a PC?
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       11-07-2011, 4:49 PM Reply   
I have to say the footage from the go pro with a class 10 sd card is pretty awesome!
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-08-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
I have the original GoPro with all the mounts, but im about to head up to the mountains for a while and wanted to get the new one. Just picked up the Hero 2 with LCD bacpac and a 32g class 10 SD card. Ready to test this baby out! I can't wait to see what the sequence pics look like with the new 11 mega pixel camera.
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-08-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
Anybody know how many hours you get of recording on one battery charge?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-09-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
I think it depends if you are using the LCD bacpac with it.
Old     (lakeskater)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-09-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
I just ordered the motorsports edition from Amazon. It comes with two curved surface mounts, which are best for most helmets, and a variety of other mounts including a suction cup mount. The outdoor edition comes with a head strap mount and a helmet strap mount instead of the suction cup. I tried these two strap mounts with my Hero1 last year and didn't like them, the curved surface mounts provided the best rock solid connection to the helmet. The surf edition is the only package that comes with a floatie but the mounts are designed strictly for surf boards. So the motorsports edition is probably the best choice for wakeboarding and on the road use.

Looking forward to seeing some Hero2 videos and pictures on this thread.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-12-2011, 8:49 PM Reply   
I so want this.... time to start saving breadsticks!
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-14-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
Just bought another Hero 2. These things are a lot better than the old ones.
BIG difference! Can't wait for the wi-fi remote to come out!
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-16-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
Do most of you use the Surf Expansion to mount it to your wakeboard? OR do you just use a regular mount? I will have the floaty backdoor, but i want to use it on my helmet and on my board. Just curious what most of you do?
Old     (lakeskater)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-16-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
I use the curved surface mount on the helmet and the flat surface mount on the wakeboard. If applied properly, these surface mounts will take a beating and stay securely attached.
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-16-2011, 6:43 PM Reply   
Okay I won't buy the surf expansion if the regular mounts will hold, wasn't going to use the suction cup mount.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       11-19-2011, 6:42 AM Reply   
How do the stills look that are taken from the video? Im not a big video guy (just like video for memories) but im into photography and have been thinking about some of the cool angles I could get with one. So that what got me curious about how photos would turn out.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-19-2011, 3:09 PM Reply   
Chris:

You can set it to take a pic every X number of seconds, and the pics come out fine, and in better resolution than they do as screen grabs.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-16-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
The backdoor float WILL NOT float the GoPro with the suction cup mount attached. For wakeboarding I have found the best ways to film are:

1.helmet mount facing the boat or back towards you
2.pull a tube and mount the GoPro on a pole (1.5-3ft in length)
3.GoPro rope mount http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789200
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-01-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
I got to use it this past week for the first time at the cable in the 960-48 frames, footage is awesome looking, now if only I was a better wakeboarder
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-06-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
I want!!
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-08-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried attaching the camera to their board? I was thinking the Surf pkg was the way to go but brett33 kinda put the kaboosh on that theory. Just trying to figure out what pkg will work best. Thx!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-08-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
attaching it to your board will just give you a view of your feet and waist unless you are a dwarf (not that there's anything wrong with dwarves!). There needs to be more distance between the lens and you to get more of "you" in the frame. I've mounted to my alpine snowboard and that "just" works, but we're talking about a 180cm board with some setback, not a neutral stance 140cm wakeboard.

Also, the surf mount (3M vhb tape) or the motorsports suction cup *will* let go in a crash. The floaty *might* float the camera and surf mount, but no way will it float the suction cup (that beotch is heavy).

the suction cup to the boat's transom is killer for surf video.

the rope handle mount (you gotta make your own and be sure to share what you did in the other thread linked above) is also a good angle, but results in boring video for me because I'm not very good.

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-08-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
Here is a board-mounted video from my first time with the gopro last summer and my 3rd time out ever wakeboarding. I have a mount that uses the screws of one of the front fins, so its bolted on vs double sided tape.

http://vimeo.com/m/16554115
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-08-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
I attached it to my board last week(Roam 144) towards the very tip of the board with just a regular flat mount, and a floaty backdoor and it was able to pick my entire body up(I'm 6'1"). The only problem I had with this mount was on one occasion when I landed heavy on my front foot off the kicker my gopro came off the mount, but the floaty backdoor kept it afloat! The footage was pretty good, i'll try and throw up a clip of it on the front of my board.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-08-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
yeah that 3m vhb tape (which you can pick up at WalMart, btw) seems like it's stuck on there hella good... till it comes off. Once it gives it completely gives, with no warning at all.
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-08-2011, 3:07 PM Reply   
Mounting to a board has been a terrible experience for me. We had the suction cup mount set up on the nose of a kneeboard(don't hate, we had already tried the wakeboard, and the video wasn't good) real steady, and a backup cable in case the suction cup came undone. All set to go, took some light sets to test it out. Everything seemed fine, started doing rolls and spins until our rider came down on a big 360. He did one of those tail heavy landings, and as the front of the board came down hard the housing exploded. I saw the door fly open, the camera bounced off the board and sailed up about ten feet high. Bye bye GoPro. Then when I took it to GoPro, they wouldn't replace it because they "Don't see this happen unless there was an extreme impact"
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-08-2011, 4:02 PM Reply   
Heres the bracket i use to mount to my board as seen in the above video. Uses the existing holes of the fin screws.

Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-08-2011, 4:21 PM Reply   
Is that mount sold by GoPro, never seen that one before
Old     (lakeskater)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-08-2011, 4:35 PM Reply   
[IMG][/IMG]I'd like to get one of those fin hole mounts, can't find one online anywhere. Here's a video using the sticky flat mount.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-08-2011, 5:25 PM Reply   
Shawndoggy, you should head up to Boca next year...would love to check out both that go pro handle mount and the MB
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-08-2011, 8:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhanley View Post
Shawndoggy, you should head up to Boca next year...would love to check out both that go pro handle mount and the MB
LOL, YOU should come down to the desert (or maybe we can hook up at Bullards?). Boca's for racing bicycles not getting wet!

I know you're a working stiff... you guys do weekdays at all up there?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-08-2011, 5:34 PM Reply   
Thats because it wa originally sold for kiteboarding. It looks like they have updated the design for this year.

www.kitehero.com

Kite Hero Fin Mount

Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-13-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
I'm all for hitting up the desert (sans quaggas) and especially Bullards. Gonna try to get to Bullards a few more times next year. We usually do weekdays, but last year was a bust with the late winter and riding buddies getting broke off. I think I only got out there once after work. It can actually be pretty good out there if you pick the right night. July to Mid-August is very suspect.