Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2006, 4:48 AM Reply   
Now that I have your attention...

I have an I/O and it goes hard into gear. As I am pushing the throttle forward (or backward) out of neutral I am greeted by a very heavy "thunk" sound as the outdrive goes into gear. It doesn't grind, it just goes into gear very hard.

This is not a new issue...I bought the boat one year ago and it has always done this. I've tried adjusting the idle speed but no matter how low I go, it doesn't seem to help (I've set my idle as low as 600 rpm and it still goes into gear hard). I changed the outdrive oil last August and saw no signs of metal shavings that would indicate my gears are being ripped up.

I usually get one of two responses from people riding in my boat...1) "Is it supposed to do that?" 2) "That means you have a good outdrive"

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to smooth the transition into gear? Should I be concerned about it?

FYI I have a 1998 Mercruiser 5.7L engine and outdrive.

Thanks
Old    walt            05-05-2006, 4:53 AM Reply   
No worries every I/O Merc I've been in did that (Clunk).
Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2006, 5:02 AM Reply   
I've ridden in I/O's since I was a kid and have come to expect to hear a "clunk"...but with my boat it seems to be excessive and is going into gear way too hard.....makes me think something is out of adjustment.
Old    walt            05-05-2006, 5:05 AM Reply   
You better take it in then.
Old    walt            05-05-2006, 5:09 AM Reply   
There's a shift interrupt switch that might need to be adjusted. It kills the engine for a fraction of a second to reduce RPM's for the shift.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-05-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
Walt is right take it in. the shift interupter needs to be set or repaired.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-05-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
If you have a stainless steel prop it will "clunk" much harder than a aluminum prop because of the swing weight mass. the ss is much much heavier and I have tried both on the same boat and went back to the Al because I thought it would be less wear and tear in the long run. When was the last time you add lower unit oil/lube it could need a top off and you should check and add about twice a season
Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
Lower unit oil was changed last August and was fine.

I'll look into the possibility of the shift interrupter switch. Thanks for the suggestion!!

I'm a DIY'er and will do everything I can to keep my boat from seeing the inside of a mechanic's shop.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-05-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
One other thing I did not see posted is, are you slowly sliding it into gear or putting it into gear at a pretty fast rate? The latter is the proper way. Putting an outboard or I/O into gear slowly will cause them to grind the gears.
Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
Walt/Brad - I believe the shift interrupter switch only operates when the boat goes from forward/reverse into neutral (kills the engine temporarly to take the load of the gears). My issue is when I shift from neutral into gear.

Peter - fast or slow results in the same dramatic "clunk"
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-05-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
I would recommend buying or getting your hands on the factory ervice manual and there should be a section in it on cause and effects with know cures. A chart of sorts. I believe those are a cone shift mechanism and would also ask how many hours on the outdrive? Unfortunately I have only rebuilt an OMC unit, never a Mercruiser, so I am not going to be much help other than throwing an occasional idea/thought out.

You would also be wise to find a more dedicated Mercruiser or outdrive type website and post your questions there.
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-05-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
http://www.mercstuff.com/images/shiftcable.jpg

As I recall:

A merc alpha one outdrive doesn't have a cone, it is a "dog clutch". It definately does "clunk", and as Peter suggesting, shifting faster is better.

The merc bravo drive has a cone, smoother shifting.

Adjusting the shift cable will help if it is an alpha

http://www.mercstuff.com/images/shiftcable.jpg