Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-21-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
Was wondering how i could get the teak platform on my boat to look a little better. I tried using a pressure washer to get the black stains off but it didn't work. Could I sand it and then put teal oil on it? Would you use fine sanding paper with a machine, or by hand? Thanks
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
Use a light sand paper by hand and use a fairly gritty to start, maybe a 400 and then move to a 600 or a 1000 grit and then add about 3 coats of teak oil or some Olympic Natural Deck stain. The deck stain will protect it and you won't have to teak oil it anymore. Here's how mine looks after a whole season.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-21-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
If you head to West Marine, there is this stuff called "setol" or something close to that pronunciation. Regardless, it applies like varnish, however, will last much longer and a quick coat will maintain appearance. The best part - it looks better than teak oil.
Growing up on salt water equals a lot of time sanding grubbing decks.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
sikkens cetol marine...........
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
click here to read everything I wrote plus pictures.........
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/79854.html
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-21-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the help. Does the wood still feel the same as if you used teak oil?
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2004, 5:31 PM Reply   
Hey Ryan. Yeah, a couple guys I ride with used Cetol on their platforms and it looks great and is pretty much maintenance free all season. Looks great, although can look a tad "plasticky." Way way way less work than regular teak oil. However, it does make the platform a great deal slicker than regular oil. If a few rollers come by as you're gearing up on a Cetol-covered platform you might find yourself on your arse.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-21-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
So if I don't end up liking this stuff is it reversible or am I stuck with it from now on? I remeber having an inboard outboard when i was really young and its platform had some kind of varnish or wood stuff on there that seems to be what you are talking about. When it got older it started peeling off. Does this sound like the same stuff? By the way, sorry for all these stupid questions, just making sure
I don't put it on there and end up not liking it.
Thanks
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-22-2004, 7:51 AM Reply   
I haven't touched mine since I finished it. Still looks the same today!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-22-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
Mine doesn't peel, but it will tend to wear on the edge of the platform after a whole season, which is why every winter before I put it away I lightly sand it again and put another coat of finish on it. Yes its slightly slicker than teak oil, but the trade off is the platform looks new all year long and you don't have to teak oil it every time after its in the water.

If you don't like the finish of a stain you can sand it off and reapply teak oil.