Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-13-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~soldier/towboat.htm
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-13-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
WOW - Thats a must see!
Old    tommyadrian5            07-13-2004, 2:14 PM Reply   
that is awesome
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-13-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
i've seen similar ones where the tugboat sinks
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-13-2004, 5:37 PM Reply   
Coolness!
Old    supraboarder            07-14-2004, 12:21 AM Reply   
someone please tell me he did that on purpose and I will have to give him mad props for that.
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-14-2004, 7:39 AM Reply   
Sorry, no, it wasn't on purpose...you can read the story of what happened on the site
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2004, 7:43 AM Reply   
ouch!
Old    shiftywakeskate            07-14-2004, 7:10 PM Reply   
that was awsome!!!
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-14-2004, 9:58 PM Reply   
I dont know how to respond

Option 1 - Nice backroll
Option 2 - I hate it when that happens
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-15-2004, 6:12 PM Reply   
this is a thread that reappears every year or so. I did some research into it a couple of years ago. A few little details are misconstured, but the whole thing is still pretty amazing.

The web site inferrs that the bridge didn't open in time. The reality is that the bridge wasn't supposed to open. The tug was supposed to push the barges under the bridge and let them go. Another tug was waiting on the other side to pick up the tow and continue down the river.

The first tug screwed up and failed to get one of the lines disconnected from the barge. If he had lines on both sides he probably could have backed down and prevented the accident, but when one side was released and the other side remained attached it pulled him sideways and under the bridge.

What is really lucky is that he fit sideways, and none of the tug got hung up on the bridge! Many of the sea going tugs are bottom heavy to the point that they would right themselves after a capsize, so the fact that it came back up is not that surprising.