Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-25-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Do you have an idea of how many hours it took? It's very impressive.
Old    mobiletinting1            03-25-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
I have about 1200 hours in right now but there is more to come
Old    nettlesbe            03-25-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
Chris, my math isn't the best, but 1200 hours? At 6 hours a day, even 7 days a week, that is nearly 30 weeks - not the 3 months you mentioned earlier.

Does the 1200 hours count other stuff on the boat or previous versions of the system, or is that just a WAG???
Old    mobiletinting1            03-25-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
Well there were days wair I put all day in 10/12 hours.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-25-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
So do you work at all or just spend money? Becuase I could always use a little extra help, lol.
Old    mobiletinting1            03-25-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Yes, I work. I own a window tinting shop in Palmdale Ca.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-25-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
Skip, people like you annoy the hell out of me.

Why don't you give the guy a compliment for creativity and doing something no one else has done, instead of waisting everyone's time on your silly little math equation, trying to find some sort of negativity in bringing this guys stoke down.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-25-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
Chris. first I want to say NIIIIIIIIIICE. Second do you have any pics of the install in progress. Be very interested in seeing those. I'm w/ Denny where do you hide the beer?
Old    mobiletinting1            03-25-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
We have 3 built in ice chests on the boat. Perfect for beer hiding. How good is the spring ride you guys were talking about?
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-25-2006, 5:59 PM Reply   
check out the link below

www.boatbeats.com
Old    nettlesbe            03-25-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
Shawn, sorry if my tone sounded negative to you. It's a long post, so you probably didn't notice I complimented him once and stuck up for him twice already on the post. I was just curious about how accurate his estimate was.

(Message edited by nettlesbe on March 25, 2006)
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-25-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
Skip, no worries... I re-read the post and i apologize for singling you out! People just always seem to find a way to point out something negative about something so out of the ordinary.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-25-2006, 9:17 PM Reply   
Chirs, in response to you question about the spring ride, check out the two links. I have never been but after reading the two posts below, I am there for sure this year!

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3320/267781.html?1143261633

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3320/269252.html?1143330303
Old    mobiletinting1            03-25-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
Anyone have photo from last year's spring ride
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-25-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
Chris, after this post, you might want to seriously consider installing a new security system in your house... or hiring full-time security staff.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-25-2006, 10:58 PM Reply   
OMG I love the back of your boat...YA HEARD ME ha ha ha
Old    mobiletinting1            03-26-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
I have a great security system on my house.I am also installing a security system with remote start on the boat.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-26-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
That is amazing, the in floor amp rack is sweet.

Old    mobiletinting1            03-26-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
Thanks. I have a lot of time and thought in the hole set up
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-26-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
Chris,
I'll chime in as I think the install is awesome as well. It definetly takes some balls to be putting high current electronics under the floor of a wake boat.
Old    mobiletinting1            03-26-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
Thanks Duane,keep in mined all the amps are sitting on the fuel tank.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-26-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
Ive heard some loud systems in the past couple of summers, but Im looking (listening?) forward to running across yours at Castaic or the river. Very nice
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-27-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
Chris,
What do you think of the tower systsem and can you compare them to nvs at all?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-27-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
Wkerat,

I had a chance to compare the pro 485's against one of my 1010's this weekend. On land using the same amp (approx 100 watts RMS) with about a 20-25 mph wind, in between warehouses ( one of those large warehouse building parks) probably 25-30 yard alleyway (2 story high warehouses). The reason I say this is b/c you could tell there was a little bit of an echo b/c of the acoustics. I stood at distances of probably 65 feet to close to 80-90 possibly even 100 feet as well as about 10-12 feet (sitting down, mimicking sitting at the back of the boat).Listening to music ranging from Paul wall to pink Floyd And to be honest the differences were marginal. I almost preferred the sound out of the 485 a little better. Everything seemed to flow (for lack of a better description) a little more, not as “bright” as the 1010. (mine is an earlier model and I think Duane has done some more attenuation to the horn on the 1010) volume wise there both really loud, I would say the 1010 edged out the 485. But neither unit had full power going to it. The 485 is noticeable lighter than the 1010. One noticeable difference was the dispersion pattern of the sound. As you walked from one side of the alleyway to the other you could tell a slight difference in sound with the 1010 where as the 485 stayed pretty well constant. I also thought I’d be able to tell more of a difference in the mid to mid bass range with the 1010’s. I couldn’t hear much of a difference, nothing drastically different. From a technical standpoint, and in theory it should produce more, but like I said I couldn’t tell that large of a difference. I also thoguht the speakers (pro 485's) looked alot better in person, especially the pro 80's. Either way you can’t go wrong. Both are incredible pieces of equipment.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on March 27, 2006)
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-27-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
Adam- Sweet ! finally a comparison. How did the Wetsounds sound around the boat ? Are they harsh or do they sound "car audio" like ?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-27-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
I guess I’ve gotten used to the 1010’s behind my boat. I wouldn’t use the word “harsh” for either. The “test” we did was sit the speakers on top of a truck bed cover (f-250 4x4) and sit about 10 or so feet away from them. Like I said in the previous post the 1010’s have a little brighter sound than the 485’s and even with 100 watts they both scream. The louder both units got the more prevalent the horn became. It’s been a while since I’ve sat in a boat with a really good “car audio” tower setup so it’s hard for me to say. I was in a new x2 with the stock JL tower speakers it sounds great , but no where near the volume. I like my music loud , they both accomplished that. Sitting that close to a speaker with that type of output will make yoru ears hurt, not b/c of the sound but the volume. Put either set up on your tower with a solid sub and a decently powered interior setup and you’ve got a very good “beach system”. From reading another post I believe grant has a pair at his shop. He’s probably been around a few more high powered “car audio” tower systems.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-27-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
Incredible. To be honest, I was a little skeptical at first before the pix, but then wow!!! Congrats, super impressive and creative, I love seeing new ideas and things in crazy places. And I'm sure none of us would mind seeing some more pix... (hint hint) haha :-)
Old    mobiletinting1            03-27-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
I used to run 6 kenwood excelon 7x10's on my tower, and it was very loud and clean. I messed around with the Infiniti towers and then I saw the Wetsounds booth at the LA Boat Show. I heard the pro 485's and was very pleased, I ordered a pair. I have no complaints with the pro 485's. Accoustically, I think the 485's sound all around better. We listen to a huge range of music styles, hard rock to rap to eighties, and they all sound great. I'm not plugging Wetsounds, it's just my opinion, that they sound the best out of the one's I've tried and heard. I'm running 300 watts rms to each enclosure and I'm ecstatic with their performance.Upload
Upload
Upload

Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-27-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
That is sooooo sweet! I guess you are a tinter and a plumber!
Old    mobiletinting1            03-27-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
yeah something like that.I really appreciate your post's.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-28-2006, 6:17 AM Reply   
Chris, great job, it looks great! Is there just one pump that circulates the water thru them amps? I'm assuming all the pumps can still be run w/o engine power? How do you separate your stereo batteries from your starting? How much play time can you get w/o the motor off before it's time to pack things up and go home? How big an alt. do you have? What kind of charging routine do you have. Sorry for all the questions, thanks.
Old     (tjdunn)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-28-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
The water cooled seems like a brilliant idea. Why don't you just put a 1000 watt honda generator on Board so while your just chillin on the water you do not have to worry about your batteries. They are extremely small and quiet. Would'nt that keep them talkin!
Old    mobiletinting1            03-28-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
I have 1 pump that pumps the water thru the amps.My boat is stock as my c--.I get about 15 hours of play on a charge.The generator will take up to much room,room for more power @ a later date.Plus with every low freq,the system puts out, I am drowing about 412 Amps of curent.The golf kart batts are the way to go.My system is in no way tied into the boat electrical system.So I never get stuck.Thanks again everyone for all the great feedback.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
I am not an audio genious but I think when comparing two pieces of equipment you might want to run the correct amount of wattage. Those 1010's require quite a bit more power than 100watts rms as far as I understand. It also seems logical that a small speaker would be much more efficient underpowered than a bigger speaker resulting in "better sound" coming from the smaller set.

That said has anyone compared a 1010 to the pro 485 with a decent amount of power?

Just my .02
Old    mobiletinting1            03-28-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
I have never heard the 1010's so I have no input but with 300 watts rms running to the 485 they sound bitchin.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-28-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
Matt, I see your point, that's why I felt it necc. to post all the conditions of the "test". And yes I normally have my 1010's with approx 500-550 RMS. But even with 100 RMS my 1010's were still very loud. Your logic makes sense and is probably right, but I would think the speakers would have to be identical (in terms of what they are made of) I know the NVS cone is paper (coated) while the wetsounds is something else (not paper) so I would assume a tad heavier?? I'd also like to hear each set with their repective power requirments.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-28-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
This thread is unreal!! The boat is unreal, and the haters are unreal!

Chris is obviously a guy with cash and talent! All the haters are losing in their attempts to criticize, and be sarcastic......the boat is bad, and he did it all himself.

The only thing that the haters could ask for now, is that he post a pic of himself and he looks like Larry The Cable Guy! Right now he's a double threat guy.....hope he's not a triple!
He's also been totally cool on his replies, explanations, and his overall approach with owning such a system. Put down the calculators, and the Thesaurus, stop wondering how good he rides and worrying about the poor bass fishermen! Face a true PLAYER!

Nice job Chris.....hope you wouldn't mind me asking you a few questions on my upcoming install.

DC
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
I totally agree curtis; a full on bench comparison would be pretty intensive and time consuming, not to mention expensive! Definately appreciate your input on this since I have not heard of many people comparing the "big guns" for tower speakers.

Aside from that I am really looking forward to hearing the new tyrants and I am a little curious what the deal is with the full horn tower speakers. Has anyone heard these (the all horn version) or have any comments on the idea behind them?
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-28-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
Matt,

I heard the XTP version of the dual horn drivers at surf expo last year. Actually, im sure most everyone who when to surf expo heard them as they were demo'ing them in front of the convention center. These suckers are LOUD and CLEAN. They were only running one set on the tower, but I could hear them clearly at easily 400 yards.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-28-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
Todd, I have not heard the XTP's but await their official release. But I've seen their price.....@ close to $2k ($1995.95) it's a little high w/ all the newcomers in the market, just my opinion. On the reasearch I've done on HLCD's I dont; understand how you'd be able to get a full range of sound out of this type of driver alone. By design, as far as I know,there made to reproduce the shorter wavelength frequecies (higher), by moving extremly fast. Anyone else know anything differernt on how they achieve a full range sound out of just a horn?
Old    mobiletinting1            04-05-2006, 10:23 PM Reply   
coming soon more pics
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-05-2006, 10:37 PM Reply   
I chose to ignore this thread for a while, but, you really do have some serious shiat going on.
Old    mobiletinting1            04-05-2006, 10:44 PM Reply   
Thanks j rod