Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-09-2003, 4:34 AM Reply   
I was wondering what the newest issue of wakeboarding mag is? The last one i recieved was the Dec. issue that is the Photo Issue with a yellow backgroud and gator on the front.
I just want to make sure my subscription hasnt ran out, i cant remember when it does.
thanks
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-09-2003, 8:13 AM Reply   
I havent received any other issue since that one, I think they are waiting for the off-seasons months to end so they can come out with something hot
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-09-2003, 8:25 AM Reply   
The next one should be the gear guide. You should get it soon
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-09-2003, 3:14 PM Reply   
When you said "new mag" I thought you meant a new mag all together. Does anyone remember when a few guys were supposed to make a new wake mag called "ride" or something like that? I think the guy from wakeboard canada and kevin michaels were supposed to do it. What happend?

Oh yeah, the photo issue is the last one that I received, too. Last week I received the new alliance....
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-09-2003, 11:20 PM Reply   
What was on the cover of the new Alliance mag? And who won the Spy SAN? That was half the reason I subscribed!! Was to enter to win that damn boat and I haven't gotten an issue in like.. what feels like forever and I thought they were supposed to do the drawing in September?
Old    ontrider            12-09-2003, 11:28 PM Reply   
My friend Scott told me that wakeboarder.com was coming out with a quarterly mag or some sort of print item.

I think that Wakeboarding Magazine is better than Alliance, but it would be nice to see less ads in both of them. Some new startups would make things a little more interesting as well instead of reading the same writers and seeing the same photographers names all the time.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-10-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
those advs are the ones wich makes the magazine printed in first place, wakeboarding mags are nice, but let's face it, they are made only to sell us stuff, you never see a good product review there, hardly never any criticism, and instructionals.. for gods sake..."cut towards the wake on your heelside, keep a progressive edge, hit the wake--magical moment-- and voala!! you landed your first mobius!...
anyway, I like them...ejejej
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-10-2003, 11:14 AM Reply   
Jonathan,

WBM and Alliance both accept submissions for writing and photography. If you or someone you know feels they can either do better or make the magazine better in some way, tell them to submit.

Sure, you're seeing the same writers and photographers' names all the time...that's because there aren't many of us photographers and writers out there to cover the sport. There are a few budding talents on the horizon, though.

Electricsnow: the new magazine, "Ride Magazine", never fully materialized because of lack of support from the industry. During the planning phase, a lot of companies promised money to the magazine for funding and advertising, then when it came time to actually pay, none did.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-10-2003, 12:56 PM Reply   
Mike, thanks for the info! I was actually pretty excited to see something new as far as mags were concerned, but I guess the industry isn't ready for it yet.

I fully agree with you when it comes to seeing the same photogs and writers. It's hard for people that ride to see how small wakeboarding is and there aren't that many people that are into it (in comparison to snowboarding or skating, etc).

Bess, a guy from Oregon named chulkie choung won the nautique. The latest issue had rider of the year AARON REED! There's plenty of footage of him killing it on his new pro model, and if you look at the center fold, you'll notice that he's utilizing the magical capabilities of "the winch." As for the cover, the lighting is dull (and the shot is in black and white) and it is a somewhat distant shot of tino santori doing what appears to be some sort of "ole" spin.

OLE!! OLE!!

(Message edited by electricsnow on December 10, 2003)
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-10-2003, 2:23 PM Reply   
mike- what exactly are the requirements for photos to go into a mag. would you send a cd of pictures to the mag? how big of a file do they like for digital?
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-10-2003, 3:39 PM Reply   
Derrick,

Contact me off the board and I'll be happy to discuss submission requirements and procedures with you.
Old    ontrider            12-10-2003, 4:40 PM Reply   
Mike, that's true - but we're all not shooting the pointless crew everyday and other pro riders.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-10-2003, 5:31 PM Reply   
jonathan, trust me - there are plenty of great riders out there that could use the photography coverage. if you know of any in your area, snap a few off and send them in for the local section. or write (or get someone to write), an article on a local ripper and you can shoot the photos for it.

now is definitely the time (the nascent phase of wakeboarding), to make your mark if you want to. :-)
Old    ontrider            12-10-2003, 5:51 PM Reply   
I know, but who are they more likely to print pictures of? P-diddy throwin' a huge indy tantrum or 'John Smith'?
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-10-2003, 6:42 PM Reply   
If the photo is good enough, it'll get run...doesn't always matter who it is. The important thing is to have a killer shot.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            12-12-2003, 6:45 AM Reply   
Not so naked chef - I remember the guy that said he was starting a magazine. I remember some HILARIOUS person telling him that the first thing he should do as editor in chief of his new magazine is to FIRE HIMSELF due to all of the typo's and grammatical erros in his thread here on wakeworld. haha

Glad to hear that I am not the only one that has not received a WBM in a while. I heard they only publish something like 9 issues a year - must be the down time.