Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2008, 11:18 PM Reply   
We will be flying from Alabama to CA for the INT USC on United. They have a size limit on baggage of 115 linear inches (l+w+h). Most wakeboards with bindings in a bag will be within this limit. However, United groups wakeboards with luge boards and surf boards and say they are not accepted on certain planes (Boeing 737 for one). Just curious how people are flying with their equipment. I know each airline is different. UPS or Fed Ex ground would be 4 or 5 days for us and unless you don't intend on practicing a week before going is not much of an option. Overnight or 2 or 3 day is just outrageous. Will the airline actually look in the bag or just take measurements to ensure its within the size restrictions? It doesn't seem fair to be within the size restriction but disallow it for being a wakeboard.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-16-2008, 3:32 AM Reply   
There have been several threads on this in recent months. The airlines are constantly changing baggage fees and rules. Some people have tried labeling as a golf bag. My son has been on 5 trips this summer, only had trouble returning from Miami on Delta. Ended up paying $80. Other times the agent hasn't even asked a question.

Another common strategy it to tell them it is a water ski or snow board. I've never seen them look in the bag.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-16-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
I'd FedEx it; you don't have to worry about it getting lost, damaged, whatever. Its also probably cheaper than whatever the airline will charge you. You also won't have to lug it through the airport, and your hotel will surely accept the shipment and have it waiting for you.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-16-2008, 6:04 AM Reply   
Pack the bindings in your suitcase, box up the board and check it. Did it last year when we went out to Mead with no problems, although the airlines were not in the fuel/money pinch with all the new fees and restrictions as they are now. Good luck.
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-16-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
I am going on a trip in a few months and was wondering the same thing. Do you guys think it could be cheaper to just Ship it to my destination?
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
call it snowboard free on united without the limits as long as it is under 50 lbs,
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
If you look on united's website now, anything over 65 linear inches is considered oversized and is $125. I would assume that would be round trip. I have thought of putting my bindings, ropes, handles, helmet in a suitcase as checked baggage ($15) and FedEx the board. Again, it is 4 to 5 days ground for around $50 one way, so that's $100 and you don't practice for a week before the comp on that board. 2 day is around $200 one way.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-16-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
Allen, that is prob ea. way
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-16-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
take it on as a "snowboard"
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
Looks like almost all airlines are charging now. We got nailed for $100 out of vegas on thursday. 5 other flights in the prior 2 weeks we paid nothing. Ticket agent said they are laying off 500 of us and I am not going to be one of them so I have to charge you.
Of course necessity being the mother of invention you now have this option.

Sports Express takes the lug out of luggage
Now you can travel without luggage. With Sports Express, there’s no need to haul your luggage or sports equipment to the airport and then on to your final destination.

In these days of increased airport security and baggage restrictions, savvy travelers have their luggage or sports gear waiting for them. Sports Express will pick up your luggage at your home, office or other location and have it delivered to and from your travel destination. On Time. Insured. Guaranteed.
Try Sports Express today and get $10 off
US Airways customers receive a $10 discount on every order. Type the words "US Delivers" in the Promotion Code box that appears at the end of the order process and $10 will be automatically deducted from your order. If you prefer, call 800-357-4174 and a Sports Express Travel Concierge will assist you. Please mention the "US Delivers" promotion code to your Travel Concierge to enjoy the $10 savings.

Visit SportsExpress.com to get your $10 off.

Sports Express is an independent delivery company.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
and it is a rip off just looked up fresno to OK city for worlds and it is 175 bucks one way.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-16-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
I do it like this
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by ridininmd on August 16, 2008)
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
And the price of fuel for that little 172 from cali to orlando? No thanks
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-16-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
I never claimed it was cost effective