Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-24-2004, 11:53 AM Reply   
I was in wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakeboarding and somebody added this statement to the wakeboarding wiki page.

Orlando, Florida is wakeboarding's birthplace

Where did this come from? Does anybody have any references to support this claim?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
looks gay to me

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
they probably meant to say that "wakeboarding is large in orlando, florida"

does anyone know the true place of origin?
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-24-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
"looks gay to me "

That was my first thought too, leo
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-24-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
I think Jimmy Redmon was in Austin when he added straps to short boards. i believe Tony Finn was somewhere in SoCal (San Diego perhaps) when he did the same, he started Skurfer the plastic board & Redmond started Redline which shaped boards like a surf shaper.
Old    martini            03-24-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
mission bay ca. tony finn and redmond founding fathers...
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-24-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
Yeah I was thinking more like San Clemente, CA. and a lot of the R&D was done riding in Mission Bay, CA.
Old    tombugg            03-24-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
The last three are correcto..
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-24-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
My uncle recalls them bringing prototype boards down to the Mission Bay when we used to water ski. Most of the reactions were "WTF is that thing? That's stupid"!!!

At the time I was doing surface moves on a kneeboard. Oh yeah.....fun stuff!
Old    wakeboard_iraq            03-24-2004, 4:03 PM Reply   
Thats funny blabel
Old    norcal_99            03-24-2004, 4:23 PM Reply   
I was the surpreme being who invented wakeboarding, skateboarding, snowboarding, etc.

No not really, I suck.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-24-2004, 5:02 PM Reply   
Through the inifinite wisdom of wakeworld discussion forums I have removed the erroneous reference from the wikipedia.

another questionable remark is
"A more advanced variation is wake skating."

I think "more advance" is subject to debate as well
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       03-25-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
I thought it was in the Carlsbad Lagoon too.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
I always thought it was you Sean that invented it.

(Message edited by kristian on March 25, 2004)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
Oh wait, sorry, I got confused, you didn't invent it, only made cool right?

(Message edited by kristian on March 25, 2004)
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       03-25-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
Finally, about time someone recognized! Don't forget to give me credit for the whole internet and exclamation point things too!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-25-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
Are you guys talking about the birth place of commercialized wakeboarding? Does freeboarding count? Here are a couple of old mutiny ads, with the hawaii shot dating from c.1935 and the cypress gardens ad dating at c.1964. Obviously, the hawaii shot has been fudged and I'm not about to get into the middle of this political battle, but I still wanted to show it because the rest of the pic is legit.

Also, I was looking on ebay awhile back and there was this phil owens board. He was thought to be the guy that shaped the boards for the gidget movies. Anyway, the boards were meant to be ridden behind boats and they were actually called "wakeboards. I would like to add that the owens tag was taken from that auction listing from months ago, and it is not really my picture.

I think the only origins that could even be remotely pinpointed are those of commercialized skurfing, or wakeboarding, with tony finn and jimmy.

Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
Snow you are the best! Girl you never seace to amaze me. I had no clue about owens, damn your good.
ITCH
GB

(Message edited by fullonsalesgrp on March 25, 2004)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-25-2004, 10:11 PM Reply   
I got lucky with that one...but it was a totally interesting find....something that old being called a wakeboard. Uhhh...what was I going to say...oh yeah, DOPE!