Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-13-2006, 10:50 PM Reply   
I've got a F-350 diesel for towing & work, and a 1500 Chevy for my daily driver. They both do their jobs very well. You wouldn't catch me in a Dodge though.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-14-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
I used to have an old Explorer for towing but then we got a Jeep Commander as my wife's daily driver so I tow with that now. The terrain isn't especially hilly or winding so the Commander is more than adequate.

And Kraig, if you haven't found any info about transmissions heating up on the Titan forums then you're not looking especially hard. When my wife and I were looking at replacing our Cherokee, the Titan was on the radar. While the transmission heating issue didn't make a difference in our final decision, we did notice folks talking about it.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-14-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
Just sold my tow rig (03 diesel excursion) due to it did make sense for a vehicle just to sit and only use during boating season. I have a company vehicle so the excursion just hardly ever got used. I am buying a Yukon XL for my wife in the spring to replace her car which is going to my daughter who just started driving so then the Yukon would now become the tow vehicle.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-14-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
The Titan has had issues. I have had several friend get one because of stuff like nav and how much power they have. However, I know of two that were taken back under lemon law and I don't know many people. I don't have any trouble towing in overdrive GM has a tow/haul mode for the trans and it works good. Locking rear works great on a slippery dock...no other manufacturer has one.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       12-14-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
Kraig, we still need to hook up out at Tuttle sometime.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-14-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
Nick, the F350 sounds good, but I think the Chevy might be a time bomb!
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-15-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
Sparky, you know all I do is build time bombs.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-15-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
Supra for me- Shhh...I own stock in Nissan...

Jim/Dante- Tranny overheating is NOT a known problem for the Titan. You will always find someone who has gotten their tranny hotter than it's usual running temp. But it's not a problem that the Titan is known for. I tow about 6,000lbs on a regular basis in the summer and haven't ever seen my tranny temp guage move. There are quite a few people on TitanTalk who tow 9,000lbs (more than I would on a regular basis with a 1/2 ton truck) in Arizona and Nevada and they don't have any problems. Will you find someone who has heated their tranny up? Of course. Is it a problem than needs to be addressed on the Titan? No. The Titan has very few problems compared to the Big 3. Yes, there are Titan's that have had problems. But think of this, this is Nissan's first full sized truck. The Big 3 have been doing it for over 50 years and they have way more problems than what the Titan has. And as for going to a diesel and towing better, you bet it will! I agree with you on that one. If I had my choice I'd choose a diesel as well. But comparing 1/2 ton trucks to 1/2 ton trucks the Titan stands atop the list. I like the new Chevy's and I like the Dodges. In fact, right now if I didn't have my Titan I'd probably own a Dodge. All the new trucks are damn nice and I would say the F-150 is one of the best looking of them all. I just wanted to clear up that the Titan does not have problems with it's tranny overheating. I checked the Titan forums and there is very little posted about tranny's heating up. It does happen on occassion I'm sure, but there is nothing posted about a tranny failing due to heat as well. The Titan is one hell of a first gen truck from a company that has never built full sized vehicles before and they did it in a new plant with new workers. Nissan has done a great job with it and they will only get better.

And to stay on the topic of this thread, sounds like diesel is the way to go. Personally, for me it's overkill. But to each is own.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       12-15-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
I have heard the Titan's had many issues in 04 when they first came out. Tranny's was one of them but far fewer problems with them than the differential or the rotors. The differentials on some of the original 04's and even some 05's would burnup because they came with low fluid from the factory. That is the main reason I bought a Landcruiser instead. Reliability. The Landcruiser lacks power bigtime but whips all those other trucks mentioned in every other catagory IMO.

What is everyone's value vote for older beater truck that has stood the test of time? No doubt all votes would be a diesel. Just curious.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-16-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
I love my Dodge Ram 2500 HD 4x4, quad cab, cummins desiel. It tows my boat like its not even there. I would go with Dodge or Ford. Defently not Chevy. I had a friend that got a chevy and the 4x4 sucked. The Chevy 4x4's have an electronic traction control that changes the ride and when your off roading it will switch between the two and mess up the traction. Just my input but once again i would stay with Ford or Dodge.
Upload
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-18-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
Kraig,

I'm glad your glass is half full. As it turned out my glass was half empty. The problems still exist its whether you choose to recognize it or not.
Old    mendo247            12-18-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   

quote:

I would go with Dodge or Ford. Defently not Chevy.

OK. Well i definetly would go with a Ford or Chevy. The Dodges are uncomfortable and under powered.
Old     (wakefish)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-18-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
And fords are notorious for bad transmissions. Mine went out at 40,000 and friends have had the same prob with theirs. Other than that ford is cool.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-18-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
gmc has a 5yr 100,000 warranty on their driveline now
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-18-2006, 5:09 PM Reply   
Cause they have the least appealing vehicle in performance aspects, but the nicest interior... Dodge has the most power all around for engine size, but the worst interiors and bodies(shatty metal) and Ford has shatty transmissions, but awesome engines and second to chevy in interior.
Old    mendo247            12-18-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   

quote:

Dodge has the most power all around for engine size

Really? might want to double check those numbers tyler.

but im just playin.. it always cracks me up when someone comes on and says buy a ford or buy a chevy etc.. this truck has this problem dont buy it.. there all pretty awesome trucks these days imo you really cant go wrong with any of them..
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-18-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
'06 Chevy Duramax 360HP 650TQ
'06 Dodge Cummins 325HP 610TQ
'06 Ford Powerstroke 325HP 570TQ

All of them have plenty of power to tow any wakeboard boat.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-18-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
That 5year/100,000 warranty sounds good until you consider most people are not going to be anywhere near 100k five years in, especially if the truck isn't a work/daily driven truck. And I think Tyler may be correct considering the Ford and GM engines on Nicks' list are eight cylinder, and the Dodge/Cummins is a six! Tyler did say most power FOR THE SIZE! lol
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-18-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
Cummins= 1280 lbs
Duramax = 840 lbs
Depends on you definition of size.UploadUpload
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-18-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
most drive 12-15k yr X 5 = 60K-75k miles
i drive about 15k myself

(Message edited by supra24ssv on December 18, 2006)
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-18-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
No one said you had to bring a six to the fight. BTW - 07 duramax 365hp and 660ft/lb torque
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-18-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
...that would be Tylers' "definition", not mine. MY "interpetation" of "engine size" would be cubic inches/litres. How about yours?
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-18-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
I know what you mean Sparky. I've driven all three diesel truck quite a bit, and I can definitely say I would be happy to own any one of them.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-18-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
Let it be known the Ford we tow our boat with is almost 800ft/lbs of torque and almost 500hp with all of the performance upgrades done... So I couldn't really care less what any of you drive or like considering my diesel can most likely smoke yours, the only reason I even wrote that last post was to see how big of a pissing contest we could get going in this thread... Im just waiting for it to turn to an MC vs Malibu thread. Honostly Ive been a member on here for some time, and only within the last year and a half or so have literally 90 percent of the threads started in any category turned into pissing contests. I mean Don't any of you realize how childish you are to bitch back and forth at one another all day long, especially since there are those that seem to frequent a lot of these particular threads quite often.
Old    mendo247            12-19-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
Tyler its the "off" season get used to it
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-19-2006, 7:45 AM Reply   
I think it's all in fun Tyler. Most of us are good friends in "real life." It seems to me like your posts are just as "childish" as the rest, maybe more since your talking about your daddy's truck.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-19-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
Nick- Daddy's Truck... Mommy's Hummer... My Eclipse I still really don't care. But look around WW on most of these threads, and tell me that everyone bitching is friends with one another. I doubt it, maybe a few on this thread are, but its really getting rediculous
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-19-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
Tyler- I think thats just the nature of dicussion boards.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-19-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
Perhaps... but when everyone on WW complains about wakeboarder.com, and how its a little kid bickering site, with morons arguing stupid points... sure seems like it's taking over this site.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-19-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
tyler, is it really your mom and dads cars and trucks you are bragging about, that is so funny i don't care who you are
p.s. that H2 is nice

(Message edited by supra24ssv on December 19, 2006)

(Message edited by supra24ssv on December 19, 2006)
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-19-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
Tyler, it seems to me that you are one of the 'Kids' on here that likes to stir the pot. You said it yourself in your previous post and then you call everyone else on here 'childish.' Look in the mirror my young Tyler. And please don't get into any discussion about something you don't even own! It's Mommy and Daddy's. I'll give you respect when YOU own something and can talk from personal experience. If you came on here with a bit more respect then I would give you respect. Respect gets respect. You're 21 and it shows! Talking about how you don't care what everyone else drives because what you have (Daddy has) will smoke everyone. Careful with your statements. If there is something you will learn and that is no matter how strong you are, no matter how powerful your engine is, no matter how fast you are, no matter how good you are in wakeboarding there will always be someone else who is better, faster and stronger. So sit back, enjoy the read on this forum and speak only when spoken to!!

(Message edited by kraig on December 19, 2006)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-19-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
Supra- YEs the H2 is my moms and the F350 is my dads I'll get some pics of my Eclipse GT in a bit... Ohhh and Kraig its paid for so I guess that means I gain your respect now? Thanks but no thanks. If I have to own something to get your respect, and general knowledge isn't enough I can do without yours.
Kraig- This is the internet not the real world, and a lot of people on here talk a lot of big BS. I don't care if they do or don't, nor do I care weather you like what I have to say on here or not. As far as I'm concerned in my 21 short years of life, I've done quite a bit. I don't pretend to own my dads truck or my moms H2, and just because you don't agree with my opinion on full size pickups, or boats, or whatever it may be, you actually think that has an emotional impact on me? Gaining your respect isn't on my shopping list, a lot of people do like respect and enjoy my company, there are also many others who don't I'm sure, but either way I have no control of that, and I'm not trying to take the reigns so I can. Take it how you will call me a child(doesn't bother me) simply because you don't know who I am what I look like or what I'm about so go ahead and make an opinion or assumption however you do what you do.

(Message edited by tyboarder03 on December 19, 2006)

(Message edited by tyboarder03 on December 19, 2006)
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-19-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
I haven't made any assumptions about you or anyone on here. I responded to what you had to say. And because your Eclipse is paid for I should give you respect?!? Kid, we weren't talkig about your Eclipse. We were talking about trucks. See the difference? You say you don't care if people talk BS on here or not but yet you came on here and called them all childish and said that WW is really bad for childish people. I thought you didn't care? And if you don't care what I have to say on here then why did you respond to my post? It's great you've done alot in your life. I'm happy for you. Turn the ego down just a tad and you'll get along with everyone on here a little better. Just because it's the internet doesn't mean you have to try and trash a thread by posting something with the intention to start a pissing match.
Old    mendo247            12-19-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   

quote:

Perhaps... but when everyone on WW complains about wakeboarder.com, and how its a little kid bickering site, with morons arguing stupid points... sure seems like it's taking over this site.

congrats! you've offically stuck your foot in your mouth.. jus kidding tyler! looks like you've been around here long enough to know that boat, board and truck loyalties are always gonna stike a cord with the ww'ers..
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-19-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
Rich- Thats for sure
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-19-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
Kraig- BS IMO is something not true... I have no problem with people who have to get their jollies by lying, it wont get them any further... so who does care? What does bother me is how many people on here simply bitch and nag at one another about MC vs BU or Ford vs Chevy etc... Maybe you havn't caught it yet but this is a quote from a few threads ago... "the only reason I even wrote that last post was to see how big of a pissing contest we could get going in this thread... Im just waiting for it to turn to an MC vs Malibu thread." Do you see what I'm getting at? PEOPLE(nobody inparticular) need to realize how they are coming off by saying some of the things they doin these purely whiny back and forth threads(I know you can find atleast one), and learn not to say them. Go ahead and say I'm one of them, doesn't bug me especially since this is the first time I've ever come on here to write a post like the above just to help illustrate how much this overtakes WW. At this point it's simply you and I back and forth like most of the threads in any category. Are you seeing it yet?