Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2009, 4:04 AM Reply   
Like many Americans i had Friday off of work. My buddies family launched their Malibu early in the morning and we all took turns wakeboarding. The water/weather were in perfect condition,and it was awesome being payed to play on the water. On my second run i had a bad fall on a scarecrow. I had landed several earlier in the run. But this one had a horrific ending.

I didn't have enough height to get my body totally over my wakeboard. I fell over the tail edge of the board. Without dragging it out any longer i broke both bones in my lower right leg. the larger of the two poked out my shin.

Within 2 hours i was in surgery getting a titanium rod thread down the middle of my bones with 4 screws holding it in place.

here i am 2 days later, finally got the files needed to tether my phone to my laptop. If it was just the compound fracture i'd be at my house right now. But because i had this open wound in the california delta (Vics) ive been placed on this rough routine of antibiotics. the CDC guy compares the water where i fell to sewage. The good news after 24 hours there is no sign of infection, but they are still very worried. and it looks like ill be taking antibiotics through my veins at home for the next three weeks.

This is my 3rd surgery due to wakeboarding.

raley - blown ACL, torn MCL, meniscus shred
backroll (first run following season) back there cleaning meniscus.
Scarecrow - compound fracture to the other leg.
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2009, 4:09 AM Reply   
Upload

My ambulance ride went from Union point to Pleasanton Valley care.

Thanks for stopping by guys.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-06-2009, 5:14 AM Reply   
Sorry for your accident, get well soon and a hope for a complete recovery.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-06-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
Sorry Dan. That really sucks man.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-06-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that Dan, I'm on the injured list with you with some torn ligaments in my ankle 2 months ago. On the bright side, the both of us might be able to salvage the late season in september/october.
Keep yourself as busy as you can! Boat driving is a great way to stay in wakeboarding while you're injured. And when you're feeling a bit better and you start to get that itch, I've been surfing on my butt haha.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-06-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
That definately sucks but it could have been worse. I will take that fracture over another ACL anyday.

Hope the recovery is quick. Goodluck.
Old     (littlelady)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-06-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
Hi Dan,

Hope you feel better soon! I'm heading to the Sports Dr. this afternoon. I have a "blown up" knee and will probably need an MRI. I have a feeling that its a torn MCL and meniscus. I've had ankle surgery as well 2 years ago due to multiple sprains wakeboarding and snowboarding.

Just don't give up!

RICE!

I was sitting on the boat yesterday. With my knee elevated and iced while watching everyone ride. We had 5 riders in the boat. All had knee surgery or had broken legs, or ankle surgery due to either wakeboarding or snowboarding.
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
i guess it just comes with the territory, seems like it'd be hard to find someone who's been riding advanced for several years without a serious injury. Why do we keep doing this to ourselves?

on a side note: i was teaching my buddy how to do a backroll, and as collateral i'd try a new invert. Landed on my board on my first attempt at a toeside backroll. heh, still cant wait to try it again.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-06-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear, hope you heal strong, injuries suck!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-06-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Dan, I feel your pain!

I had a compound Tib/Fib from a scarecrow in 2004. I had the strong antibiotics too...I remember one of the nurses saying "The doctor must be really worried about you" after swapping the IV bag.

I also got the titanium IM nail. I got to hobble around on crutches for 12 weeks but was back on the water in just under 5 months.

take care of yourself and get better soon!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-06-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
Gene - Tap the brakes Buddy! Have you ever snapped your tibia in half? A blown ACL is not even in the same pain category of a broken bone.

I feel for you Dan. I've had a tib/fib fracture and it sucks. Good luck to you and your recovery!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-06-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
I am not talking about pain. I am talking about recovery. and long term useability.
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
Sucks to hear about your injury, Hope you heal up fast and no infections.
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-07-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
looks like ill be going home today, just as soon as they put this pic line in my chest so i can do IV antibiotics in my room. Thanks for your support guys.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-07-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
The tib/fib thing sucks. I did the same thing in 03 playing hockey. Got the rod and three screws. On top of it got pneumonia and spent the week in the ICU. Take care of it, not a fun injury, takes a while to heal. Still feel mine when I run.