Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    cheesesteak            02-01-2014, 6:00 PM Reply   
So - my stereo upgrade saga continues - now I have some wiring questions:

My head unit is Sony CDX GT-300. Already in the boat - so I wasn't going to replace it. I've got 4 Polk in-boat speakers.

I'm adding 2 KMT-60s to the tower, and 10" kicker sub.

I picked up 2 amps. A kicker ZXM450.2 to power the tower speakers. And a Kicker ZXM700.5 for the in boat speakers and sub.

1st question is about running the audio inputs to the amps from the head unit. The GT-300 has RCA outputs - but only front / rear (L&R) - no sub output. The manual for the GT-300 says to split the rear output. Can I just run the fronts to the tower amp and split the rear (RCA splitter) for the in-boat and sub?

Here's the rear of the head unit.
Attached Images

Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-01-2014, 6:11 PM Reply   
Front RCA to tower amp then Rear RCA to 700.5... That's all you need, Amp1 input can run all the amplifiers channels..

Last edited by Truekaotik; 02-01-2014 at 6:13 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-01-2014, 6:19 PM Reply   
Cheese,

The ZXM700.5 has the ability to pass through the audio signal from the "amp-1" inputs to the "amp-2" chnls and the sub chnl. No need to split any RCA's. With the amp's "Fade" button in the right position, chnls 3 & 4 will get the audio from chnls 1 and 2. By the sub wire terminals, theres a switch that will tel the amp to get the audo for the sub from the 1/2 input.
Old    cheesesteak            02-01-2014, 6:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truekaotik View Post
Front RCA to tower amp then Rear RCA to 700.5... That's all you need, Amp1 input can run all the amplifiers channels..
Thanks for the quick reply. The Kicker ZXM700.5 wiring diagram indicates that the subwoofer input needs to be wired to the actual sub input (bottom Signal In line) or the Amp2 input. There's a button selector to use the sub input or the Amp2 input for the sub. The Amp1 input would run the 4 speakers.

Are you saying the sub will work fine without a separate sub input?

Here's the wiring diagram for the 700.5
Attached Images

Old    cheesesteak            02-01-2014, 6:26 PM Reply   
TigeMike - thanks. I'll just run the rear RCA line from the head unit to the amp1 input and go from there. The only selector button for the sub is to use amp2 or the sub input (no amp1 option). But - sound like I need to adjust the fader dial on the from of the amp???

Just found it in the manual:

Fader Switch: Depress the fader switch if you are running two sets of inputs (front and rear for example) to the amplifier. Leave the fader switch OFF if you want to drive all channels from a single stereo input.

So I just leave the fader switch off and leave the sub input switch on amp2.

Thanks.

Last edited by cheesesteak; 02-01-2014 at 6:31 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-01-2014, 6:46 PM Reply   
How ever the sub input is labeled on your amp, if the switch is in the opposite position of "Sub" it will grab the signal from the "Amp-1" RCA inputs. Fade OFF and "Amp-2", which is chnls 3/4, will also get its signal from amp-1.

http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/...0.5%20RevD.pdf