Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-15-2014, 8:49 AM Reply   
Disclaimer; I know many of you might already posess this Awesome tool and know all about how Wonderfull they are. I have never owned one, many of my DIY projects only require girley man tools like small screw drivers and small ratchets ect. Being a slave to the many Car repair shows I couldn't help notice how many shops use the electric impact. I had discounted the power or amount of Tourque they can apply. I always felt like. I only take my wheels on and off 1 or 2 times a year and I'm not trusting my Life to some electric hand held tool. Who knows how tight they can apply your lug nuts. So Christmas cam and my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas and I said a electric impact wrench would be nice. It was like under $80 @ Home Depot.

I got it for Christmas and I had to try it out.
This thing is Legit and is my New Fav tool. It zips lug nuts right off. I even tryed it on some rusty old stuck lug nuts on the neighbors van. I tryed it on the boat trailer and it zipped them right off and then I put them back on and used a Tourque wrench to see how tight the electric impact put them back on and lets just say it put them on way tighter then they needed to be or more torque then I would have put when re installing them by hand and a breaker bar. Bottom line I was impressed at how well it works and can't believe I haven't used them in the past.

It would even be a great tool to just leave in your car or truck along with a lug wrench for your road trips. Being able to zip your lugs on and off in seconds is worth the price by not having to deal with funky lug wrenches on the side of the road alone. You should always check with a traditional lug wrench how tight your electric impact tightend your lugs when your finished.

I use the light weight lithium-ion battery's for my tools. I tryed using the light weight battery's for the electric impact and it didn't work at all. So my advice is to use the largest recommended battery for that tool. The light weight battery's just don't have the power to make that tool work the way it was intended.
Attached Images

Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-15-2014, 12:42 PM Reply   
I've used and abused my makita impacts. First had a ni-cad and about 9 years ago got a lithium. This tool is my most used tool.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-15-2014, 2:28 PM Reply   
I'd have to be sold on the electric before picking one up, especially the battery powered kind. I'll just stick to my air-powered impact instead.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-15-2014, 3:37 PM Reply   
I have air powered impacts, etc and a battery powered Makita. The electrics are not a replacment for the HD air tools on big jobs but for 90% of my needs the Makita works great. No compressor noise, waiting for tanks to fill, or dragging out hoses. Just quick, portable, and easy.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-15-2014, 3:46 PM Reply   
My main reason for sharing was thought it would make a great addition to your road trip bag if anything. My Impact says it go's to 200 Ft Lbs for 99% of the things I do 200 Lbs if fine.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-15-2014, 4:02 PM Reply   
Not a bad idea. I always take my 1/2" Torque wrench and sockets with me when heading to our summer house. If I'm on the side of the road I want the right tools to change out a tire quickly.

I actually just bought a compressor and air tool kit yesterday for swapping out my winter/summer wheels. In the past I have just used my torque wrench and cordless drill to change them out. Now I can stand in my garage and do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9DvZH_Wgg
Old     (endlessbreak)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-15-2014, 5:14 PM Reply   
Would these over-tighten or under-tighten the lug nuts?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-15-2014, 6:25 PM Reply   
Snap on Tools makes a 1/2" drive Lithium Ion Impact that has 625 Lb Ft of torque. It's a bit pricey at 795.00 . But it's as powerful or more powerful than most of your top of the line Air Powered impacts. I doubt many on here will have the need for one. But if you need a powerful impact you can use all day long it's the ticket. The batteries will take off and reinstall 40 wheels with 5 lugs each in one charge. They only take 40 minutes to recharge and have a 2 year warranty.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-15-2014, 7:08 PM Reply   
I would never trust an impact to torque to recommended specs. I always use a torque wrench to get to final tightness.

Also, use anti-sieze on your lug nuts and you wont have to deal with them rusting on.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-15-2014, 8:06 PM Reply   
I've used a Makita electric impact since 1990 and it still works. The new ones are a much nicer design for most people. (strange what 20 years will do) I have not had that much success with Ryobi batteries on other electric tools but they have pretty good prices.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-16-2014, 3:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegermaster View Post
I would never trust an impact to torque to recommended specs. I always use a torque wrench to get to final tightness.

Also, use anti-sieze on your lug nuts and you wont have to deal with them rusting on.
You can buy a torque extension for your impact. They make them in 65,80,100,110,120 and 145 Lb ft of torque.You simply put them on the end of your impact and attach your socket to them. They limit the amount of torque your impact can apply to the socket. Much faster than a torque wrench.
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       01-16-2014, 8:05 AM Reply   
i'm still not convinced the torque sticks are all that accurate. my front rotors warped pretty badly on my car using a 75lb torque extension. factory manual calls for 76ft/lbs. now i use the 65ft/lb stick and then torque to spec with a traditional torque wrench.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-17-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
An uneducated question as I am going to get one these, why not an impact driver with adapters then tighten with lug wrench? Won't a driver be more versatile and still have enough torque to get lugs on and off IFC you use a torque wrench or lug wrench to achieve final tightness?