Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
Howdy.

Looking into picking up a new board here in the next couple of days. My old board is getting a tad beat up, and I just got a new set of bindings to boot (06' Murray), so I am looking at a couple of boards. Can you guys give me some feedback, at least those who ride them?

Here are the contendors:

Hyperlite Murray 142
CWB Absolute (not plat)
Liquid Force Watson

My current board is a Temet, but I am looking for something more aggressive, but still with soft landings. My top two right now are the new murray, and the watson, as both are supposed to have great pop and soft landings, but i was also reccomended the absolute.

I could really use some intermediate level rider responses, as sometimes its hard to get valuable reviews. Board demo is not an option where I live (none of the dealers have programs).

Thanks!

[EDIT] I guess I'll put down my rider level also, just so you all can get an idea, and maybe help me decide. I am currently hitting most grabs, all 180's grabbed and no, and HS 3/TS 3.

(Message edited by garret_s on July 06, 2006)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2006, 6:19 AM Reply   
BUMP

Ok, someone has to have input...
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-07-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
WATSON WATSON WATSON WATSON WATSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-07-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
i demoed the murray and really didnt like it. i thought it was extremely slow and very heavy. the pop wasnt worth what u give up in speed. and maneuvarability(sp)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   
Nathan: Why? Could you tell me more than just that?

Tingey: Thanks for the input. I really worry about the weight on that board, but then again, I am 190, so I need something solid. How fast were you riding when you demoed it? How much to you weigh?
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-07-2006, 6:55 AM Reply   
Garret - After talking with you last night I'm sure Nathan has some good background info on you and your riding that would make him suggest the Watson like he has. You know what I think, take those fins off the new murray and rock it.

Enjoyed talking with you last night, and look forward to helping you and the rest of the MU Wake team out as much a I can.
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
That Watson is all you talk about Nate!!! You've even got me looking at getting 1!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-07-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
The Absolute is a proven board that everyone loves. It has good speed for a bigger rocker board and lands really soft because of the large spine and no stepped rail. It also has excellent edge hold but breaks free when you need it too.

You might also consider the Flame or Pure. They are the previous Absolute molds but offer the same features mentioned above.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-07-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
To me it rides really fast and aggressive, Not as much as the fish but thats why I didn't like the fish...it was just way too much.

The tracking on this board is REALLY tight. I definitely recommend taking out the center fin no matter what level the rider is. It is by far the grippiest LF wakeboard I have ever been on. Of course I rode the Omega before this, and the Fusion before that and they have really tiny molded in fins. With the center fin out you will still be able to break it out somewhat easily. I think with the fin in it is rather difficult to break out.

The pop is sthuper silly on the watson!!! Straight up and straight down. Although it has the really crazy pop, it doesn't have the unbearable forward buck that other boards such as the byerly or parks have. I found it comparable to a CWB Absolute on steroids when it comes to pop.

The landings are the reason I wanted a new board in the first place. It was really the only thing i didn't like about the Omega. So as you can figure the landings are REALLY REALLY REALLY.....oh yeah did i mention REALLY soft. For instance I found myself not landing my backrolls on the Omega because I would land and the impact almost felt like i was bouncing. I threw one a little big the other weekend and when i landed i really didn't feel anything. It was almost as if i never jumped at all and just crossed the wake.

Also worth noting, the watson is REALLY LIGHTWEIGHT! Combined with the Watson bindings I think would be one of the lightest setups offered this year. Liquid Force has a reputation of being lightweight anyways. but the watson board is definitely the lightest board I have had my hands on this year.

Whether people agree or disagree with some or all of what I said, I am sure they will tell you that this board definitely rocks.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

-N8

(Message edited by iamnathanhudson on July 07, 2006)
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-07-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
Malibu_Monkey, you gonna be at the GnP tourney next weekend on Lake Gaston? If so, just look for the big white Sunglasses....thats me.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-07-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Hard to beat the Absolute IMO out of the three boards mentioned. The only way you can really find out what YOU like is to demo, so its sucks you cant demo before you buy.
Best of luck to ya.
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
Yea, I'll be there Nate. I'm coming on my bu or either my buddys Moomba. Not sure which yet. I'll keep an eye out for ya. I need to get up w/Adam. I haven't seen him in a while.
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
BTW, I bought the Earley boys' boat, if you didn't know.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-07-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
Ken Earley?
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
yea, Ken and Kevin's boat
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
Any more reviews anyone wants to share? Not to cut the friendly banter or anything, just trying to get some advice...
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-07-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
Garret
I demo'd lots of boards this summer
I too am an intermediate rider, looking to throw my first invert
recently...the transcend felt huge...and was unstable in any kind of chop
the premier is a nice board, but felt to aggresive for me
the ps3 is what I bought
although its a 141, it feels smaller
I was more comfortable than I've ever been on a board
my w2w's are higher
and surface trick are a breeze
don't know if face plants are even possible on the thing
might feel a little slower than you want,but I love it...figure if Soven can throw the tricks that he throws on it...then it's plenty of board for me

Upload
Old     (bonz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-14-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
i know its not on your list but LOVE my byerly it is super responsive and has really good speed for a 3 stage also it pops HUGE so might want to look at getting one of them if you look on ebay you might find some deals to i got my byerly at the end of 05 for 190
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-14-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
so what did you end up getting garrett?
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
have not decided yet. Went in to get a murray, came out with nothing, as the one that I was gonna buy was a blem. Currently looking back at a couple of other boards, but mainly the 06 Absolute Foam, and the Murray. Look at the "06 Absolute" post for some more info stuff....
Old     (7islands)      Join Date: May 2006       07-14-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
sucks that the OBrien Natural isnt in your list