Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (glanzer77)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-30-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
Sold my 2006 Mobius LSV at the end of last season. Looking for something new.

Leaning towards: (Older)

2007ish Wakesetter
2006 or 07ish X Star
2010 or 11 Axis A22

Any suggestions, hull changes, fabric problems, engine issues to be aware of on older models?

Like to keep it at the low end of 40,000 to 47,000 but if the right boat is out there....I'm willing.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-30-2014, 8:55 AM Reply   
My 07 X15. Its an amazing wake, very similar to the XStar. Loaded with the LY6.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-30-2014, 8:56 AM Reply   
My 2011 Axis a22
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-30-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
If I were you I'd take weighted sets behind each boat and buy the boat with the wake I liked best. Saying that I've only ridden the Xstar weighted and that was a petty nice wake. The lip can get a little abrupt for some if it's got to much tail weight.
I think there will always be good resale value on the old gen xstars if that matters to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       01-30-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
I'd go for the star myself. You know there's going to be problems with the older axis boats, but depends how picky you are. Are you more worried about the wake or wave ?
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       01-30-2014, 9:18 AM Reply   
Why would a axis have problems?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-30-2014, 9:18 AM Reply   
This one I don't think you will find more boat for the money http://www.nwboatsports.com/#!invent...c2=2008_falcon
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-30-2014, 9:30 AM Reply   
What about a Nautique? When we were looking for a boat I found a few 226 crossovers around 40k. Or an older LSV?
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       01-30-2014, 9:34 AM Reply   
Personally I would go for the X star (newest you can afford). I went from a 2012 X25 to a 2009 X-Star and never looked back. The Star is everything I wanted and nothing more. I cannot compare to the other brands simply becuase I have not ridden in any of them. But for the star, you want to make sure the tower has the cross braces installed. There was a year where where people complained about the upholstry (cant remember what year). MC changed to the 'lightnig bolt' zeroflex tower in 2007, the 2006 has the older style tower. My X-Star is extreamly solid - not rattles, no slapping of the bow, no need for wkae plate, never porpises like my Moomba LSV always did requireing wakeplate adjustment to trim it off. Its just plain old solid and very nimbal compared to all other boat I have had. I have the LY6 6L and it halls with 4000lbs. Good luck with your endevor.

Last edited by bjames; 01-30-2014 at 9:36 AM.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-30-2014, 9:37 AM Reply   
the 226 is a crossover = does everything OK but nothing great, I have neighbor that just picked up the last 2012 CC 226 that was at the factory, so you have to know that CC has been trying to blow it out to any of their dealers for a while, not much market for it I would assume since it just happened and the colors were good, black n white, he got a good deal and just wants to cruise
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       01-30-2014, 9:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce2320 View Post
I'd go for the star myself. You know there's going to be problems with the older axis boats, but depends how picky you are. Are you more worried about the wake or wave ?
Because they have plastic cup holders.... Jk, I meant to say problems with the vinyl
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-30-2014, 11:03 AM Reply   
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=40549

I have been told this one is great shape.
Old     (78Triple6)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-30-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
I'm in the same boat, same price range considering the same boats. Yeserday I was totally sold on the Axis, thinking I could get pretty close to new or new for the price range, but it looks like it will be more than I thought. However I didn't come accross a pricing structure other than just looking here and there. So xstar is best case in this range. I liked the warranty and new boat v. older used boat. I've been out of boats (researching) for a while, haven't looked after selling 5 years ago so obviously a lot has changed. I'm not really into the bells and whistles stuff which is what attracted me to Axis. That being said I like a nice vinyl, so if that's a concern on the older models that would give me pause. Also, like the surf gate, but I'm sure that would definitely go over budget.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-30-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
I havent had a single issue with my Axis aside from bad falls from a massive wake. Friggin love that boat.
Old     (glanzer77)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-30-2014, 12:13 PM Reply   
I do like the Super Air N's as well....my other problem is that I am on a lake in the middle of South Dakota and besides a few boats in Minnesota there isn't much around here. I litteraly have (had) the only legit v-drive wakeboard boat on our lake...the rest are Crownline's with towers.

As far as what I want in a wake is concerned I am your average rider....great heelside jumps, grabs, 180, 360, a back roll now and then...toeside pretty much just big wake to wake, 180s with grabs, and I have been surfing a lot.

All of my kids wakeboard and the older 2 boys (11 and 7 year) will surf as well.

One last item for discussion....how do the above discussed boats (X-Star, Super Air Natique, Axis, Wakesetter) handle a little choppy water? Any a deeper V than the other, cause that would change my mind. My wife and I were with my slalom skiing cousin when he sunk his year old Malibu Response on a night when the wind kicked up pretty hard. Went from BUTTER to 4' to 5' rollers in less than a minute. (Granted that is a low slung ski boat) Wanna see a grown man cry???? Sink his ski boat.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-30-2014, 12:27 PM Reply   
That Falcon H2oking posted is legit! I've ridden the wakeboard and surf wake on this baby, and it is awesome! It has the best stereo I've ever heard, and the boat is imacculate!!! H took such good care of this ride!! It's nicer then some new boats !!!! Who ever buys this, is gonna get a great turn key boat!! It needs nothing! ( but a owner!)
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-30-2014, 12:42 PM Reply   
u should buy a nice used axis at that price point for sure
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-30-2014, 1:34 PM Reply   
id take a serious look at that 08 210.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       01-30-2014, 2:18 PM Reply   
For choppy water performance, I would first say, that will depend on how you drive. My X25 was considered by many to handle very well in rough water due to the deep vee and also that the hull was taken from an intercoastal model (CSX-220) - which it handled very well. Now lets look at the X-Star, many say that it takes on water over the bow very easily. For some yes, but for myself its only happened one when my wife drove into her own roller when turning arounf to pick up a downed wake surfer. This was 100% avoidable had she driven they way she normally does, just a mistake. Personally I find the X-Star no different than the X25 as to how it handles in rough water as it all depends how you drive it and how you negotiate rollers. I would suspect this applies not only to MC but other boats with similar hull shape. Flat bottom boats, like my previous Moomba LSV would quite rough in chop due to the bow 'slapping' feeling like the bottom was going to fall out - was my only complaint about that boat. The X-Star has a different shape that seems to cushion the landing and absorbe the impact much better under similar conditiions.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       01-30-2014, 2:26 PM Reply   
4' to 5' rollers may just sink any of these boats - but I dont know. Success may depend on how you approach the waves - say by quartering them by approaching them at a 45 degree angle and managing your throttle as to go up and down the wake.

One thing to note withan X-Star is that its not the best for surfing, but it can still throw a respectful surf wake which is great for recreation, but you will have to get ballast bags. I can get a pretty dange good surf wake with mine when loaded correctly (IMO on par with my X25 with P&P ballast full), same size, just a different shape wake. The wakeboarding wake is first class and good enough for the top pros.
Old     (g-mantrix)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-30-2014, 6:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjames View Post
4' to 5' rollers may just sink any of these boats - but I dont know. Success may depend on how you approach the waves - say by quartering them by approaching them at a 45 degree angle and managing your throttle as to go up and down the wake.

One thing to note withan X-Star is that its not the best for surfing, but it can still throw a respectful surf wake which is great for recreation, but you will have to get ballast bags. I can get a pretty dange good surf wake with mine when loaded correctly (IMO on par with my X25 with P&P ballast full), same size, just a different shape wake. The wakeboarding wake is first class and good enough for the top pros.

How does the wake on the X star compare to the pre 06 X2 in shape and size, (the reason I am interested in this comparison is that I am familiar with the pre 06 X2 wake) both loaded for boarding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-30-2014, 6:53 PM Reply   
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/sh...-210-low-hours

I would go after this one
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-30-2014, 7:51 PM Reply   
I forgot about that one. I agree that one is great. Low hours.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       01-31-2014, 7:58 AM Reply   
I gotta throw epic into the mix. I've ridden on a bunch of boats, x-stars, 230's, 210's, sangers, pretty much everything but Malibu for some reason. All weighted out as best as possible. No wake was even close to stock ballast in an epic, one ride and I was sold. Your biggest hang up is the very early years had crappy vinyl and through they have been working on it, surfing is not epic's strong suit.

such low hours...
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=37011

A little bit older, but under your price point.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41092
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       01-31-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
How about a new NXT
Old     (jbach)      Join Date: Sep 2012       01-31-2014, 8:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by glanzer77 View Post
Went from BUTTER to 4' to 5' rollers in less than a minute. (Granted that is a low slung ski boat) Wanna see a grown man cry???? Sink his ski boat.
Where do you ride in SD? The Missouri?
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-31-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
I was thinking the same Bryce P but it is yet to be seen what it actually comes with, tandem trailer, stereo, ballast, etc.? At the high end of his price, he could get a 2013 MB Sports F21 with the 4 point tower, deep V rides chop and SURFS better than most, 1800 lbs of pure vert ballast hidden under the floor, Wet Sounds set up, tandem Boatmate trl and even the trim tab….just sayin….

Last edited by surffresh; 01-31-2014 at 8:20 AM. Reason: added on
Old     (glanzer77)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-31-2014, 1:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbach View Post
Where do you ride in SD? The Missouri?
We live on Lake Byron....never really pull anywhere since we live on the lake. Use to go to Missouri and Lake Madison when we lived in Sioux Falls.

Pretty much come home and ride whenever we can.