Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    cheesesteak            01-15-2014, 2:57 PM Reply   
I've got a 2006 Sanger V230 - kids wakeboard & surf - the wife and I surf. Right now - we've got the original head unit installed with 4 in-boat speakers.

We're looking to do a minor upgrade. I'll probably replace the head unit with something bluetooth compatible, and we want to get some tower speakers - that will primarily be used when surfing. I don't think I'm concerned with or interested in being able to throw great sound to someone wakeboarding. Right now - I don't have FAE but will likely install this winter. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on the stereo system.

I'm thinking of Kicker KMT-60s on the tower. Any recommendations - on a head unit, what type of amp I need, how to wire, or anything else?

Thanks -
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2014, 4:40 PM Reply   
For the amp, I would suggest the Kicker KMX400.2 or IX500.2. Wiring is simple, each pod will be wired to its own chnl.

For a head-unit, Clarion and Kenwood offer marine units with built in BT. Fusion and Rockford and Fusion offer a BT receiver for their head-units. For those not needing a traditional head-unit, Kicker has a BT unit with USB and AUX and RCA output for amps. Wet Sounds offers a BT receiver/volume control. Pairs great with their WS-420SQ EQ for a head-unitless system.
Old     (SecretSquirrel)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-16-2014, 5:03 PM Reply   
Tower speakers - 1 pair Wet Sounds Icon 8's. I'm not super familiar with the Kickers you're thinking about, I'm conifdent in saying if you can fit another $200 in your budget you'd be much happier with the Icons.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-16-2014, 5:43 PM Reply   
It's not fair to even make suggestions unless we know your total budget.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-16-2014, 6:57 PM Reply   
cheesesteak, where are you located?
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       01-16-2014, 8:10 PM Reply   
I know I will get razzed but I think the Dbot5's are a good surf option. I think there are a few on ebay right now...
Old    cheesesteak            01-17-2014, 9:50 AM Reply   
Total budget - great question.

I'd love to get this done for under $1,000.

I can get the KMT60s for under $400. Don't the WS Icon 8s go for around $700 each? Not sure I want to spend that kind of money on tower speakers . . .

I'll probably spend a bit more - but I'm really just looking to get decent sound behind (close to) the boat.

Any help is appreciated . . .

Thx
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-17-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
Samson/ Exile S7's in the classifieds for 500.00 now.
Old    cheesesteak            01-23-2014, 2:22 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions - here and via PM - and thanks to Phil from Kicker for his advice and insight.

I pulled the trigger on the KMT60s. I also picked up a Kicker 10" Sub. I'll leave my existing head unit in the boat - and I've got 4 in-boat speakers.

So - now - I need to get a couple of amplifiers to power everything. I understand I need a 5 channel for the in-boat speakers and sub - and a 2-channel for the tower speakers. Do I need to go with a Class D amp?

I'd appreciate suggestions on decent amps that will work for my configuration that are also a good value.

And John - I'm in Northern California

Thanks -
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-23-2014, 3:10 PM Reply   
Cheese,

we regularly recommend and use Class-D amps for their small footprint (as compared to a comparable class-A/B) and efficiency. So not needed but worth it.

What model is the sub and what is its coil configuration? A a 5 chnl amp is a great way to power a sub and 2-3 pairs of in-boats.
Old    cheesesteak            01-23-2014, 3:21 PM Reply   
TigeMike -

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind. The Sub is a Kicker SKM 10.

Any suggestions on amps?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-23-2014, 3:28 PM Reply   
Kxm800.5
Old    cheesesteak            01-23-2014, 3:40 PM Reply   
how about the ZXM700.5? Discontinued model - I can still get one new for around $325. KXM800.5 will run me around $550.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-23-2014, 4:10 PM Reply   
Thats a solid amp, run them for years with great results.