Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skers85)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-11-2014, 10:59 AM Reply   
I was just wondering how good of a deal you can get at a boat show, anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-11-2014, 11:26 AM Reply   
All "deals" are relative, but generally speaking yes you can get a better deal at a boat show or in the dead of winter than you can once spring rolls around. My advice having purchased a 3 new boats around this time of year: Think through all of the options you want, it is very important to negotiate with ALL the options and upcharges in the figure you are dealing with. Make sure you have the financial side taken care of you start negotiating, whether you are financing through your bank or paying cash have that stuff straight...I would not recommend financing through the dealership, because they will play with the numbers and be more about the monthly payment and not the total cost.

Finally once you (and your significant) other has fallen in love with a boat, ask for their best offer, if you are ready to sign on the dotted line and you thing it is fair (after you've checked around and done your homework), offer 30% less than their offer on the spot. They will say no, or take another 10%...say thank you very much but you'll have to do better, leave them your information & walk away. Let them simmer for a week or so...trust me they will call you back. Miraculously the boat show deals will still be available a week or two later. Let them go back and forth and leave them hanging. You'll end up buying a boat for 20-30% under what they were asking for it.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-11-2014, 2:31 PM Reply   
If I'm understanding this right, your dealer tried to get another 25% out of you on top of what he was really willing to sell it to you for ( he's not selling it at cost or…) and you still bought it ?
Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-11-2014, 2:45 PM Reply   
No, that's not what I was trying to say. What I did was offer 30% less than what they offered to sell it for. They won't accept it, but at least you will smoke them out closer to their real bottom line price. The worst offer a person can make is the one that the dealer doesn't even have to think about and instantly says yes as he is reaching across the desk to shake your hand.
Old     (SecretSquirrel)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-11-2014, 3:04 PM Reply   
Really? Offer 30% less than what they're showing at the boat show; where the competition is across the isle? Unfortunately If you think that any dealer comes to a show with MSRP you're very much mistaken.

That kind of offer would get a polite, "Thanks for stopping by our booth Joe, I really appreciate taking the time, but you and I both know I can't seriously consider that sort of offer. We come here to the show iwth our best foot forward. We're well aware our competition is across the way here. It just wouldn't be good business to list our prices that much above invoice. You can appreciate that can't you Joe? Let's go look at boat "B" again that seems to be more in your budget."
Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-11-2014, 3:25 PM Reply   
All luxury items have a huge mark up, we all know this. I've have made three such deals in the last 2 years...two boats and a car. The owner of the marina I bought my Bennington pontoon from actually called me after the negotiating was over to tell me personally that I negotiated the best deal he has signed off on that he can remember. I'm not saying hey will accept it, I'm suggesting where to start...maybe cause I have a history of following through I get a better deal and am taken seriously. I'm just trying to help the guy out because I've actually done what the original poster's question was asking...if you want advice on how to get in shape do you ask the fat guy eating a meatball sandwich or the guy that runs triathlons?
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       01-11-2014, 4:08 PM Reply   
So based on your math, you're telling me that you think you can get a fully loaded out $150,000 G23 for $105,000 (70% of retail)? Good luck with that and have fun being laughed out of the booth at the show....By that same math a moderately equipped brand new Axis A22 should sell for $42,000?
Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-11-2014, 4:46 PM Reply   
Not quite 30% but yes, I guarantee it can be done...but I negotiate deals for a living so maybe it is easier for me. You just have to be willing o walk away...or sign on the bottom line on the spot.
Old     (SecretSquirrel)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-11-2014, 4:54 PM Reply   
"Thanks for stopping by. It was really nice talking to you. Enjoy the show, there's a lot of great looking boats here."

There isn't a dealer in the country who's coming off their boat show price by even 20%. You'd be doing very well to get 10-15%% off show floor price if you're shopping in store from the floored inventory at list price. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done. Anything is possible. I'm saying it wouldn't happen with a dealer who wasn't looking to get inventory off his books. End of the year. Or incremental sales type stuff.
Old     (SecretSquirrel)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-11-2014, 4:58 PM Reply   
The boat show is a great time to buy. Although, you still have time to do your due diligence. Don't get in a rush. The deal will be there after the show if you're not quite ready to pull the trigger. Take advantage manufacturer discounts and work a deal that's acceptable to both parties.

It's a great time to see what's available for non-currents/demos with all the dealers in one spot as well. Depending on if you're looking for the best deal or the best value. You might have to settle on a few options/colors or whatever, but the savings may out weigh those things.

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 01-11-2014 at 5:01 PM.
Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-11-2014, 5:05 PM Reply   
Ok, it's cool you don't believe me...like I said originally "all deals are relative"...I'm just sharing with you guys what is possible. At the end of the day, my bet advice is being willing to walk away...they will keep coming back if they know you are serious. Not everybody is cut out for dealing...
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-12-2014, 3:29 PM Reply   
I'm not sure what brand boats you are talking but in the 2 brands I know hard numbers on at 30% the dealer would be paying you to take them, or pretty darn close. At a minimum they will be closed up when you come back to get some warranty work.
Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-12-2014, 3:44 PM Reply   
They last two I've purchased were Bennington 2550 RCL and '14 Mastercraft XStar. Once again what I'm saying is start buy offering approximately 30% off, every boat show and dealer offer is different discounts that's why I said everything is relative...they will not take your initial offer, if they do you screwed up and paid too much. That's really all I am trying to say. If you lowball and wait it out, let them stew on it, they will come back at you. People are not knocking down the doors at these dealerships, if you are patient you'll get a great deal...also, not having them finance it is key. I'm just trying to help, I understand the dealers have an absolute bottom line, but you don't know where the line is until you cross it...any boat deal that gets done the same day ou walked in or on the spot at the boat show is not he best deal you could have negotiated.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-12-2014, 5:34 PM Reply   
I've done my share of negotiating and a dealer can smell a rookie a mile away. A 30% off boat show special price would quickly let the dealer know you didn't have a clue what the boat cost him. It's better to offer him 500.00 over cost and let him know you know his cost. Then you could negotiate what a fair profit is. Most dealers would like to make 10% but may take less depending on how badly they want to sell their boat.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-12-2014, 6:17 PM Reply   
Maybe about 20-25% off msrp would be good, but not that percent off of a boat show price. Boat show price for a G21 was 102k. Doubt you could get it for 70k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-12-2014, 7:07 PM Reply   
Boat show prices can range a lot. Everyone thinkis they are a good negotiator but not everyone is. WLF makes some great points especially about walking away. 25 below msrp is definitely possible.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       01-13-2014, 11:18 PM Reply   
Dealers have to pay for their space at the show, which is very very expensive. Not to mentions the cost of transportation to get the boats to the show, the cost of the employees, the cost to stay at the local hotels, the spiffs to the sale men and commission of coarse. It cost the dealer a ton of money up front and the chase is on to make the $$ back from the start. For the record they usually take a major loss when it is all said and done. So in order for the dealerships to make up for the cost they have to raise the prices of the boats MSRP and then show a discount to make it seem like it is a real deal. Sorry to tell you guys, you are always better off buying a boat from the dealership before the boat show or at the end of the season. ………… Your only best bet to get the very best deal at the show is to buy the boat at the very last day, at the last hour. Low ball and hope for the best.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-14-2014, 3:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullspeed View Post
Dealers have to pay for their space at the show, which is very very expensive. Not to mentions the cost of transportation to get the boats to the show, the cost of the employees, the cost to stay at the local hotels, the spiffs to the sale men and commission of coarse. It cost the dealer a ton of money up front and the chase is on to make the $$ back from the start. For the record they usually take a major loss when it is all said and done. So in order for the dealerships to make up for the cost they have to raise the prices of the boats MSRP and then show a discount to make it seem like it is a real deal. Sorry to tell you guys, you are always better off buying a boat from the dealership before the boat show or at the end of the season. ………… Your only best bet to get the very best deal at the show is to buy the boat at the very last day, at the last hour. Low ball and hope for the best.
I don't agree . I bought a boat in October and saved 22% . I bought my next boat in February [ordered at the boat show] and saved 28%. The dealer didn't lose money because the Manufacturer gave them 7000 dollars of options for free. So if the manufacturer is participating in the show you can save big.Believe me when i tell you i've checked and rechecked my deal with other buyers,See Dealer Cost and other boating sites. The numbers have consistently come out as accurate.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-14-2014, 5:10 AM Reply   
How exactly does the dealer change the manufacturers MSRP anytime they wish?
Old     (jimmyd)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-14-2014, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastR3DN3K View Post
So based on your math, you're telling me that you think you can get a fully loaded out $150,000 G23 for $105,000 (70% of retail)? Good luck with that and have fun being laughed out of the booth at the show....By that same math a moderately equipped brand new Axis A22 should sell for $42,000?
I think you could buy a $150K G23 for pretty close to that... Its like buying a car, find the manufacturing date, and offer on the oldest one. Of course boat dealer financing has longer terms than your local auto dealer, but I guarantee they will entertain an offer close to cost when those interest charges are right around the corner
Old     (jimmyd)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-14-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
Fastredneck,

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=38685

Offer this guy $105,000. I don't think you'll be laughed out of the dealership...I think you'll buy yourself a new G23
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       01-14-2014, 8:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
Fastredneck,

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=38685

Offer this guy $105,000. I don't think you'll be laughed out of the dealership...I think you'll buy yourself a new G23
And you may be right, but notice I also said "fully loaded" (meaning every single option upgraded to the max). While that's a pretty nice badass boat with most/a majority of the options upgraded, it's not FULLY loaded G23. That one would probably normally retail around $130-135K, meaning that $105K would only be about 20% off retail, which I think is a much more legitimate price.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-14-2014, 8:35 AM Reply   
No LSA in that one...