Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-02-2014, 5:08 AM Reply   
Ok, so I started a thread with my new mxz22 most of u have prob seen. I pull my new boat with a silverado 1500 5.3 and it sux. Absolutely inhales gas and always working so damn hard. I tow an hour each way to lake when I go and feel the need to upgrade my truck. Has anyone used the f150 ecoboost to pull this boat and if so how does it do? Also can somebody explain to me pros and cons of different rear end gearing as I don't have any knowledge of this currently.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-02-2014, 5:13 AM Reply   
I pull my a22 with a ford f150 5.0. The a22 is ~400lbs lighter. I'd be comfortable pulling a mxz with the ecoboost.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-02-2014, 5:18 AM Reply   
The '14 5.3L will tow a lot better; GM made big improvements to this motor. The 6.2L will do so even better.

In general, higher gear ratio number will tow better but suck more gas when not towing (again, a general rule of thumb and not always the case depending on the vehicle).
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-02-2014, 5:43 AM Reply   
I pull my A22 with a chevy silverado 5.3L. I feel like it does fine. I only pull mine 15 miles each way so I dont notice the bad gas mileage as much.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-02-2014, 7:11 AM Reply   
I pull a MC X30 which is I think more weight than that Z22, it pulls absolutely fine. The engine has plenty of power (more torque than almost any V8 gasser, especially at low RPM, it pulls like a diesel). You WILL want max tow package and HD payload because otherwise if you have a full load you may exceed tongue weight capacity FAR before you exceed total tow capacity. Max tow will give you 3.73 gears which is perfect for towing that kind of load. You would want 4.11's if you are going to put big aftermarket tires on, but otherwise it's great. 3.73's will cost probably 1-2 mpg on highway vs. the 3.11 but it will tow much better and if you're spending that kind of coin on a boat, you're spending a bunch on gas anyway.

Two downsides: 1st - at least in my experience you won't save much money on gas (compared with a large V8), the emphasis is on the BOOST part of ecoboost, not the eco part. 2nd - it's still a 1/2 ton truck. Despite the monster engine it will never be as sold as a larger truck (f250/350) when towing, but I've been very pleased with my towing experience with mine. it will be night and day compared with your 5.3. I pull up fairly steep hills and the thing will shift up gears going 2000rpm, it's amazing.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-02-2014, 7:11 AM Reply   
I pull my X30 with an Eco boost (dry weight of boat is 4700) and it pulls the boat great. So much better than my older 5.4. The MXZ will be no problem.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-02-2014, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pprior View Post
I pull a MC X30 which is I think more weight than that Z22, it pulls absolutely fine. The engine has plenty of power (more torque than almost any V8 gasser, especially at low RPM, it pulls like a diesel). You WILL want max tow package and HD payload because otherwise if you have a full load you may exceed tongue weight capacity FAR before you exceed total tow capacity. Max tow will give you 3.73 gears which is perfect for towing that kind of load. You would want 4.11's if you are going to put big aftermarket tires on, but otherwise it's great. 3.73's will cost probably 1-2 mpg on highway vs. the 3.11 but it will tow much better and if you're spending that kind of coin on a boat, you're spending a bunch on gas anyway.

Two downsides: 1st - at least in my experience you won't save much money on gas (compared with a large V8), the emphasis is on the BOOST part of ecoboost, not the eco part. 2nd - it's still a 1/2 ton truck. Despite the monster engine it will never be as sold as a larger truck (f250/350) when towing, but I've been very pleased with my towing experience with mine. it will be night and day compared with your 5.3. I pull up fairly steep hills and the thing will shift up gears going 2000rpm, it's amazing.

I will do a small lift for sure and a trail grappler 295-60-20 tire which equates to 34.5" roughly. I can never leave anything alone. anyway, I want to maximize daily local gas mileage (which is about 40 miles a day city driving) and tow mileage so would it be better to stick with 3.73 in that case? of course I will drive around town and daily way more than towing but every weekend Im towing an hour each way to lake at least on Saturday and sometimes sunday as well during the season. not positive on this truck yet but I am liking it. f250 is in play to but from what im figuring the more expensive diesel fuel, more expensive maintenance, combined with more expensive upfront cost and the fact im only towing weekends for a 7 month season im kind of figuring eco f150 may be my smartest option. but I am open to opinions from u guys
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-02-2014, 8:23 AM Reply   
So i was in the same situation last year. My boat is about 5100#'s dry. I had a 5.3 that was an absolute pig, my denali duramaxz71 stayed in the shop, so i sold them and bought my 2013 ecoboost Fx4 with tow package . It pulls 10x's better than my 5.3 and does it very well. I have not had one complaint when towing. I too tow about 45 minutes to 2 hours each way to good water. I dont think you would have any complaints on the new ecoboost. My son just bought a new 5.3 texas edition silverado and ill say that the 5.3 is still a pig. Im not brand loyal/specific. It just sucks at towing IMHO. Ive left mine stock and seriosly thinking a level kit but im not sure yet.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-02-2014, 8:35 AM Reply   
What year is your 5.3?

I have a 2011 5.3 with the 6 speed auto. I pulled the boat, extra gas cans, camping gear, wake gear, 4 people, coolers of food and beer, and all kind of other **** up through the mountains, and mine did fine.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-02-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
The 5.3L motor in the Tahoe, Yukon, Silverado, Sierra will tow it as you see, but it is a bit of a dog when it comes to hills and gas consumption. The Ecoboost will handle it with ease and get you better mileage as well.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-02-2014, 10:21 AM Reply   
if u guys got time, look at my new boat thread and leave your thoughts on a gray or black fx4 to pull it
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-02-2014, 12:35 PM Reply   
I drive a 2012 F150 4x4 with the 5.0 and tow package. Boats about 4200lbs dry. If we're heading east on I-90 we cross the Cascade mountain range and have a 9 mile climb out of the Columbia river gorge on the way back. A buddy of mine has a similar set up with a 22' Supra and the Eco boost. As pprior said the emphasis is on the boost. The 5.0 wins out in mileage only when towing and shifts a lot less in the hills but the Eco is definitely more powerful. It will tow your MXZ no problem. My one complaint is that after adding a leveling kit the truck looks sagged out in the back when towing. I knew this going in as the wheel tire combo I went with (22x12 Fuel with 305/45/22) wouldn't work without the extra height in the front. My last 2 trucks were lifted Superduty’s and the ˝ ton suspension is much softer so I'm considering adding air bags to correct this. I mention this because a lift kit will do the same if the truck is "level" when empty with the lift. Many lift kit manufactures go off of the front end change for the lift height. As an example a 6” Fab Tech lift for my Ford is actually 6" in the front and 4” in the back so in my opinion not a true 6” lift since it includes 2" to level the truck.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-02-2014, 1:07 PM Reply   
just get diesel and forget about it. I bought a 2005 diesel new, and i figured it would be my tow rig. its seen several boats, fifth wheel, numerous other things and the one question I have never had to worry about, will it tow that? People forget that boat, trailer, camping gear, people, whatever it may be add up quick. just because the boat weighs X, people never think about x+gear.

I would love to get a 2014 tow rig, but I really don't need it. The rest of the truck will fall apart before my motor will, but luckily I take care of my stuff, so she's still great
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-02-2014, 1:38 PM Reply   
wakebrdr94 - just get diesel and forget about it.

love my half ton ride but miss the towing capacity. Considering going to an older diesel and a car for to-from work etc but I have always been a truck guy.
Attached Images

Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-02-2014, 4:02 PM Reply   
I've always been a truck guy too. Until I met my wife, I was buying a new car/truck every two years. After 4 trucks back then, figured I'd just go big and always have that as a tow veichal. I've had other cars, but that truck has been bullet proof. I would advise getting an older desiel and work car.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-02-2014, 7:08 PM Reply   
I have a malibu lsv and my Eco boost tows way better than my previous Yukon with the 6.2. The powerband is very boat friendly. I will second the comments above with the max tow package and 4x4 I'm lucky to get 15 mpg on the freeway. When loaded with the boat I avg about 11mpg. They are very sensitive to speed and hills in regards to mpg expect a decent drop with wheels/tires and a lift. I've heard of a few guys getting a decent pump with a tune.
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-02-2014, 7:20 PM Reply   
I tow a Malibu 247 with a 2012 Eco. Max tow, 6" lift and 35's. Best towing 1/2 ton I have ever had, been in or driven. They all need some sort of extra load handling ability for the rear with the heavier tongue loads. Either airbags, Timbrens or RAS to help with the extra tongue weight. I have the Roadmaster RAS and they work well and you never even have to think about them.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-02-2014, 10:05 PM Reply   
Sick boat Cabledog! Love the classy lines of the 226
Old     (timwalters)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-03-2014, 6:04 PM Reply   
My A24 has an 80 gallon fuel tank and 1,000 lbs of lead in it and my FX4 EcoBoost tows it beautifully!

My old truck was the Triton 5.4L with 3.73 rear axle and 270,000 miles and could tow the boat, but when I upgraded to the EcoBoost back in September it was shocking. I went with the 3.55 rear axle just because the EB had 100 more HP and 100+ more ft/lbs of torque plus I was going from a 4 speed tranny to a 6 speed. Long steep grades like the Grapevine in CA are of no concern for my rig.

Duramax and Super Duty trucks are nice, but if you spend $60k+ on one and another $15k+ on a commuter car, then you have spent $30k more than an FX4 before taxes, insurance and maintenance of two vehicles versus one. Plus the FX4 fits in your garage and into parking spots.

My F-150 is my daily driver and work is 70 miles one-way. You can absolutely get the EPA posted economy if you keep your foot out of the accelerator. Driving with a heavy foot is fun too, just less economical.
Attached Images

Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-03-2014, 8:30 PM Reply   
Thanks Tim, sick setup u have there. And thanks to everyone for their Info, especially the pics added. I am prob gonna test drive one tomorrow. Hoping to get some opinions on black or charcoal f150 to tow my new Mxz. Somebody go to my other thread and tell me who thinks what color will look best pulling my new toy.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-03-2014, 10:57 PM Reply   
Black duramax, with green rims. Boom
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-04-2014, 6:53 AM Reply   
Or something like this

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-04-2014, 7:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEnNC View Post
Thanks Tim, sick setup u have there. And thanks to everyone for their Info, especially the pics added. I am prob gonna test drive one tomorrow. Hoping to get some opinions on black or charcoal f150 to tow my new Mxz. Somebody go to my other thread and tell me who thinks what color will look best pulling my new toy.
You could get the Black FX with the Charcoal stripe, black wheels and blacked out grille.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-04-2014, 7:28 AM Reply   
Ummmmm……
Attached Images

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       01-04-2014, 8:17 AM Reply   
Why would you spend money on an Eco boost when that same among of money could net you a nice 3/4 ton diesel?
Like others have said, at the end if the day the Eco is still a half ton, and a half ton is going to tow like a half ton regardless. IMO

Regarding the 5.3, I also tow my v215 with a 5.3. It is a bit of a dog but after going from 3.73 to 4.88, I have no troubles at all. Mind you I'm on 35s as well.

I am biased towards diesel though. My last 2 trucks have been diesel and after selling my F350 (I couldn't refuse the guy have me about 9k more than I paid) and I picked up a 30k mile silverado for a great price. Last time I'll ever have a 1/2 ton gasser. A little over 2 years in this truck I can't stand it anymore, I am in the market for a diesel as we speak.

Moral of my rant, a half ton is always going to be a half ton.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       01-04-2014, 8:32 AM Reply   
Excuse my typos on my ipotato 5
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       01-04-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
I've noticed that the people who say to stick with a half-ton towing, have never towed with a 3/4 ton or a diesel. While my 1500 tows the boat exceptionally well, i still know that the boat is back there. Come up to a large hill and the truck down shifts twice, it sucks the gas, and the braking is doable. For close trips or the occasional long distance trip, the half-ton is perfectly fine. Mind you, I tow a 21ft tige which is light compared to the MXZ22. Now with a diesel, there just isn't a comparison. People who say the ecoboost tows just as good as a diesel are in denial. REALLY!!!. If I tow the same 21ft with the families F-350, it's like the boat isn't even back there. Fuel mileage doesn't drop as much as a half-ton while towing and the torque just pulls the boat up long grades like it's nothing. Sometimes I forget the boat is back there until i look in my rear view. There really is no comparison between the two.

Now for the OP, the mxx is a pretty heavy boat and is in the upper limits of a half-ton. Sure, it will do it, but you really won't see any MPG difference from your current truck. Everyone I've talked to says the ecoboost is great as a commuter and driving unloaded, but hook a heavy trailer up to it, it still sucks the gas like every other half-ton. If you really want to see towing difference, the diesels are the way to go.

The dodge cummins, with its straight 6 is a low revving torque machine. If I could afford it, that would be my choice. The Powerstroke and the Duramax are a more high revving engine. They're more of a hot rod type engine for driving around unloaded. They both pull great, but if I had to pull HEAVY I would choose the cummins for sure.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-04-2014, 12:23 PM Reply   
Completely agree with KX250frider617 as far as the 1/2 ton trucks overall towing ability goes. Never knew the boat was there with my superduty trucks. I tow about 10% of my driving so the compromise for better ride, handling, parking, economy, etc was worth the trade off to benefit the other 90% of my driving. Avoid the Ford 6.0l diesel.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-05-2014, 10:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pprior View Post
Ummmmm……
Lucky the Leprechaun even pulls with a 3/4 ton
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-05-2014, 12:30 PM Reply   
I agree with Cabledog and Kx250…. as far as 1/2 ton trucks OVERALL towing ability, however, I recently towed with Tim's EB F150 pulling his A24 and I was super impressed. I pull my A22 with 800 lbs of lead with my 05 2500 Cummins Diesel and love it. When I hopped in Tims truck pulling the A24 (heavier boat and more fuel than my A22, but with the lead it is probably very close in weight) I was blown away how well it towed. I had just towed a stock 06 VLX with a new Chevy tahoe and it was terrible, i would never tow my heavier boat with that rig, but the F150 is not even in the same ballpark as that tahoe or other 1/2 tons. The low end torque was incredible, it was instant like in my Cummins, smooth, and most impressive, super quiet. I could hear the slight whine of the turbo spooling up. I towed it up some decent hills and it held speed great, didn't downshift or search for gears. I towed down hills and braking was great. I didn't "feel" the boat behind me any more than with my diesel, and I would not hesitate to use this truck to tow my boat or any other wakeboat long distances, up steep grades or high altitudes.

I do not know what the towing MPG would be, but my diesel at 65mph is 15…. I doubt the EB could match that, but then again, pump gas in California is consistently 30 cents cheaper than Diesel.

I love my truck and I am not in the market for a new one anytime soon, but if I was, a new EB F150 would be on the top of my list, along with the 04-06 Dodge 2500 cummins. The 1/2 ton to diesel 3/4 ton gap has been narrowed considerably with this EB F150.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-05-2014, 4:11 PM Reply   
I have pulled my 22MXZ with an ecoboost it does a good job. I have to say though, not as good as my new setup.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-06-2014, 5:50 AM Reply   
Just got a fully load 07.5 duramax with leather run roof and navigation for mid 20's. I looked at the eco-boost but even the used ones where at least 10,000 more. But I don't buy anything brand new so maybe you just want a new smelling truck, mine did come with that air freshener though
Attached Images

Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-12-2014, 11:02 PM Reply   
How about the redesigned '15 EcoBoost eh? Major highlights: 2.7L EcoBoost V6 joins 3.5, 6.2 V-8 dropped, 5.0 still available. Aluminum body panels, hi-strength steel frame.
Old     (kdawg)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-13-2014, 7:59 AM Reply   
The Eco-boost is sweet... My brother pulls his MC X-80 with an Eco-Boost at elevation here in Denver. The motor temp gets a little hot but it still does the job.