Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (tmb4)      Join Date: May 2006       04-20-2007, 5:10 AM Reply   
I'm new to wakeboarding and still working on my comfort with the basics, before I start the 180's and flips. I'm using a cheap ski rope that I picked up for about $20. I know there are really nice ropes out there designed for wakeboarding with "No Stretch". When will I need a special rope? Should I make sure I have one before I try any specific tricks?
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-20-2007, 5:16 AM Reply   
A non stretch rope will definetely[sp?] help.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-20-2007, 6:25 AM Reply   
Spectra or Dyneema are the two brands of fibers that good ropes contain. The major functional difference between ropes is the ease of handling and resistance to tangling. They do not like to twist - it causes them to tangle.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-20-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
You need one ASAP. Dont even mess around with a cheap rope.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-20-2007, 6:56 AM Reply   
I have a Bullet Line and am very happy with it. Ken comes on here all the time and offers his lines for a great price. I think I picked one up for $50.

http://www.bulletlines.com/home.htm
Old    ausbill32            04-20-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
I second the bullet lines. I have the Armor Line Spectra with an EVA handle and love it. The rope never gets tangled up nor does it lose it's lasso form when I roll it up.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-20-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
My question is coated or uncoated, what do you guys use.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-20-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
Dump the ski rope pronto. Invest in good gear, because it does matter. I would suggest a coated line, because they don't sink, and are easy to spot.
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-20-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
I think the coated are nicer, but either works fine, As far as getting a Non-streach rope, you should do it before you start jumping, because one key to jumps on a wakeboard is building line tension to catapult you, with a streachy rope, you will not be able to do this well. I think that is why we all use nonstreach ropes
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
I third the bullet line suggestion. However, I haven't used it yet since I just bought it.... They provide some great customer service and quick responses to ?'s.
Old     (slamminp)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-20-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
Tim, first of all, see if your rope even stretches, cos mine is a piece of s*** but if doesn't stretch which makes it good enough. It won't get tangled if you don't make it get tangled. Just question whether its worth forking over $100 for something that's not gonna do anything to progress your riding.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
Thanks for the great feedback...

We don't have any coated ropes on special right now, but starting Monday our New Leather Grip Handles with Cheater and a 75' Dyneema Core mainline (3 x 5' takeoffs) are $84.99 including shipping. Nothing else comes close in value; super comfortable handle and 75' core mainline. Below are some pics... We have limited quantities at this price, so Email me if anybody wants one.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
kland@bulletlines.com
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-21-2007, 6:18 AM Reply   
Do you have any glow in the dark lines
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-21-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
Only glow lines we have are our winch ropes.

Thanks,

Ken Land
www.bulletlines.com
www.wakeboarding-winch.com
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-21-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
Tim, you might want to start with spectra which has just a bit of stretch for comfort and forgiveness. then once your'e shredding step up to no stretch for that extra pop
Old    sealyon.net            04-27-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
I would go non stretch from the get go. I'm a pretty new rider and can tell you it does make a difference.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-27-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
i got a straightline thermal, they're 110$ but they look fantastic and perform equally well!

i had a stretch ski rope that i used for a season too...it was annoying, and this has been worth every cent in my opinion

if you don't find what you need, check out wakeside.com and read some reviews