Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-06-2004, 2:26 PM Reply   
All the finalists videos are on-line and waiting for your vote!

http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/vas_video_voting.jsp
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-06-2004, 8:08 PM Reply   
Wow, I think either someone is stacking the deck or people are voting for the first one without meaning too. I mean 900 votes out of 1300 for the first video in the list? It's good, but not significantly better (or worse) than any of the others.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-06-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
That's BULL! Something isn't right there. If i had to choose one to be the worst it would probably be the first one.

I voted for David Cervenka. But it was just about a toss up between his and Mike Van patten. Both were top notch.

I don't know what's going on there but someone needs to take a look at that.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-06-2004, 8:47 PM Reply   
Yeah, that is weird. To be 100% honest, I thought that the Chris Callahan vid was 5th place at best.
Old     (petertjr)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-06-2004, 9:01 PM Reply   
stop whinning, haha jk (arnold - Kindergarten Cop)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-06-2004, 9:01 PM Reply   
Some one is fu@#ing around. No way is Chris Callahan's video that much better. I wouldn't even put it in the top three.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-06-2004, 9:03 PM Reply   
I thought Mike's video was awesome. Lot's of creativity and fresh ideas. It had less riding though.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-06-2004, 9:43 PM Reply   
there's no way in hell chris' vid is anywhere near as good as dpc's, or some of the others for that matter.

someone's gotta put a stop to the vote raping.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-06-2004, 9:48 PM Reply   
I'm a fan of Ronnie Romero, a nice variety of riders, but not showcasing the pro's too much over the locals.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-06-2004, 10:04 PM Reply   
hey wakeboarding mag! someone is raping your poll!
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-06-2004, 10:07 PM Reply   
Creativity-wise, the Van Patten video had it hands-down!

The voting is definitely skewed.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-07-2004, 6:34 AM Reply   
Werd! Mike Van Patten's video was sick!
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-07-2004, 6:48 AM Reply   
It is so easy to rig that one. All you have to do is vote and then delete the Wake Board Mag cookie and it allows you to vote again! I agree, the first is the worst! It sucks that someone would have to cheat to win!
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-07-2004, 7:08 AM Reply   
David Cervenka all the way. One of my favorite videos this year.
Old     (petertjr)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-07-2004, 7:30 AM Reply   
I think chris did a good job with that video, it kept me entertained more than the others, and the music-boarding was sequenced really cool. some of the others were not as creative such as daves, it was an awsome video, had lots of good boarding but nothing unique to other wakeboarding videos.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-07-2004, 7:44 AM Reply   
If you can vote over and over from the same IP, shouldn't they be able to see where the votes came from?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-07-2004, 8:15 AM Reply   

quote:

If you can vote over and over from the same IP, shouldn't they be able to see where the votes came from?

Yes.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-07-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
If they take the time to do so. They also could have been a little more creative with the cookie name so that it isn't so easy to find. You shouldn't have to do all this in a perfect world, but some people get greedy when prizes are involved!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-07-2004, 10:06 AM Reply   
you don't have to "find" the cookie. it's as simple as; on ie, tools --> internet options --> delete cookies.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-07-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
quote:

Yes.

Well, you need to take into account proxy servers. Many large corporations use proxy servers, and it will appear as though everyone in the company (or school/college, for that matter) is at the same IP. If only one vote were to be allowed per IP, you might be shutting out all votes from a university or a company, which isn't fair.

Mike}
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-07-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
Pierce Bronkite (pierce_bronkite) - Thanks!

From a technical stand point, they shouldn't even be using cookies! They need to write each vote directly into a database along with the IP, hostname, etc... 3-5 lines of codes and you can prevent this from happening and it would be a LOT harder to cheat than deleting cookies....!

and YES some households will be held to one vote, but then we wouldn't have this issue. so it's a trade off.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-07-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
check it out now!

Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-07-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
For those that can't read what is in red in Joe's post, there is now a disclaimer for the results:

This is just a preliminary count to show the results of the live voting process and may not reflect the actual numbers. The final count will be determined by analyzing the server logs. Only one vote per IP address will be considered in the final count.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-07-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
I won! Sweet! Please send free distribution contract to.......
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-07-2004, 11:11 AM Reply   
In reality, I think the votes may have somewhat minimal impact on the results of the contest. The fine print says:

Contest winners will be determined by VAS Entertainment, Wake Boarding Magazine, and through the general public via online voting. VAS Entertainment and Wake Boarding Magazine reserve the right to determine the final winners.

So while our popular votes may have some bearing on the outcome, the two companies make the final call.

BTW I voted for my local guy Mike VanPatten after watching all of the clips. They were all great; I think MVP's portrays the experience of wakeboarding the best and it made me the most psyched to go ride...if only it wasn't December...
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       12-07-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
Cervenka, you got my vote........ Kung Fu..eeee
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-07-2004, 8:05 PM Reply   
I second that Arun.
Old     (cwbrider14)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-07-2004, 8:38 PM Reply   
I decided to go with the last vid. Dug the old Beetles tune. Nice work with the video and the song.
Old    parks143dna03            12-09-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
Personally, I'm pissed. I didnt think this was a contest for people that were already filming pros. The way I see it; If your filming pros, you already made it. I thought this was about the produceing and editing skils. No offence to any of the others, but the only video that i though had better editing skills then mine was Mike Van Patten's. So he gets my vote.
And if the person that put this contest togather reads this. Do another contest (for no prize, i dont care) with average people. NOT PROS!!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-09-2004, 1:07 PM Reply   
wow...someone isnt bitter...

and the whole "using pros in your video" topic has been beaten to death...
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-09-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
Patrick, while I understand your sentiment, what is the point of awarding a distribution deal to somebody who has yet to establish access to the best riders out there?
Old    parks143dna03            12-09-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
The point is finding talent out there that doesnt have to the access to pros, and giving them a chance to film them. Sure you can find people to film pros, but do they have the talent to make a good video? Look at Untouchable Sound for example. That video looked like it was put togather over night. But they had pro riding in it. Then look at Underestimated; Amazing produced video. Yes there a lot of pros in that video too, but some of the less named pople like Steve McKinley and Rusty Malinoski blew up after that video came out.

We all know pros are good. But this WAS a video contest fo find the best video maker, not a compition to see who has the best footage of pros doing amazing tricks we all know they can do.

Once again, Mike Van Patten, my hat goes off to you. I hope you win.
Old    longlakemafia            12-09-2004, 3:51 PM Reply   
YES, for shizzle, mikes is the greatest one on there by far, an AMAZING job, why to be hommie keep it up man!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-09-2004, 3:58 PM Reply   
did you throw tantrums as a kid when things didn't go you way?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-09-2004, 4:20 PM Reply   
winning this contest gives you money to produce a movie, not parks and watson's cell phone numbers. the point is to find someone new who can produce a film that ordinarily wouldnt have the chance. VAS will probably be looking for someone that already has access to good riding becaue they only really care about who can produce a video that will sell the best, hence the internet voting. by seeing whose video is most popular, they will get an idea of whose video might sell the best. remember that they are a distribution company they are only interested in making money off others. they arent gonna find who has the best editing and give them a list of phone numbers. sorry.

my best advice to you is to keep on doing what youre doing. seriously, i dont wish anything but the best for you. you really seem to know your way around after effects, and if you keep on making videos for the sake of enjoyment people will start to notice you and you will find yourself shooting better riders. im not sure how everyone else has gotten their chance to film pros, but just pay your dues for a little while and take whats given to you. remember that this industry is still relatively small and pro riders are a really cool bunch of guys, so you never know what will happen in the future.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-09-2004, 9:42 PM Reply   

Ok check this, the pro issue is not big to me really, because when isent mine in i had pros in it as well. The thing that pisses me off is, well what bothers me is that did anyone notice Helicopter shots? Do you no the $$$ on that. If your "amature" that means you have no title/company, or if you edit for a living. Or either someone has a big pocket book. I dont want to hate, im just saying my opition. Also if Chris is winning then thats messed up to the people who did a good job, sorry its the turth but im surprised that guy made it this far. Also mikes is good, but there are others with better editing skills, an underwater shot half the time wit some fades and CU's ..... i dont see it. Its put together well, sont get me wrong, but there are some that looks like it took more time.

Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-09-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
would you like some cheese with that whine?

some people work for a living (i know its a difficult concept for some) and it looks like someone had some extra money laying around to pay a guy to fly a helicopter for him.

this guy that you are crying about actually posts as "wakeboardnebraska" on the other site. if i remember correctly his friend is the one who flew the helicopter for him. i see this as no different than having access to pros. he's got connections that you dont. its just life. deal with it. stay in school, get a good job, and someday you too might have enough money to spend on luxuries such as helicopters for a video.

untill then everyone needs to quit complaining about things being unfair. NOWHERE does it say that you cant use pros, and NOWHERE does it say that you cant use helicopters. time to move on.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-09-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
Listen dude i no more about the film industry then you will ever know. Im in School for.......drum roll.....oh look film and editing, I know what it takes to produce a film. Im not crying about anything. Im not trippen about pros, i think it should be based on how it was shot and put together by someone who wasnt had there shot in the industry in any way.

Ok lets say this for example would it be "fair if i went out and shot on 16, had a Helicam, pros, and jibs (no not the type u slide on) just becasue i had access to it. Which i do, that would be real fair right?

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-09-2004, 10:24 PM Reply   
are you a pro? do you get paid for it? oh wait, you're a student. so yeah, it'd be fair.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-09-2004, 10:28 PM Reply   
oh really? where do you go to school? im a film major at UC Berkeley. yeah. i study film theory everyday. if you wanna talk film, im game.

and i know exactly what youre talking about regarding "fair if i went out..." i dont see any rules that say that you cant do any of that, so whatever. obviously your video didnt make it, so uhh yeah.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-09-2004, 10:29 PM Reply   
ouch!
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-09-2004, 10:44 PM Reply   
second that ouch
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-09-2004, 10:49 PM Reply   

LOL HAHAHAHH film theory, that doesnt count. Have you even touched a camera? While you "learn film" im Working with film. I dont wana talk film, becasue learning and actual doing the job is two different things. I to Brooks Int. of Photo. its not no USC but i own the righs to my film. .........so get off the internet and go study "film"

Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-09-2004, 10:55 PM Reply   
so...uhh...is your "working with film" really paying off? it apparently didn't with VAS, so i'm wondering if you actually got anything goin on...

feel free to post links to any wakeboarding related videos youve done, including whatever you turned into VAS.

and i own an xl-1.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-09-2004, 10:58 PM Reply   
booya!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-09-2004, 11:07 PM Reply   
there were two brooks students at the irvine pwt on saturday that shot a bit from the towboat. was one of them you travis?
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-09-2004, 11:13 PM Reply   

Riiight, an XL-1 ......thats nice, ..... is that what u wanted to hear. Because if thats suppose to impress me then you well, ..... you didnt. and for posrting, i will as soon as my wakepics problem is fixed. you should post ur work as well since you have an XL-1 and all.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-09-2004, 11:17 PM Reply   
i noticed in your profile, your occupation is film maker. and your vid was still wasn't picked at an amatuer contest! that's gotta get you thinkin', "am i in the right field?"

jk man!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-09-2004, 11:29 PM Reply   
so were you at the irvine pwt or what?

its a year old, but its my latest work.
2003 malibu open vid: http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2004/malibuopen1.asp

im not looking for compliments. the only reason that i told you what camera i own is because you asked if ive touched a camera before. i thought that might answer your question.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-09-2004, 11:30 PM Reply   

See that wasnt cool thats below the belt, but If i would have spent some cash on it and some more time, then i should be thinking that. But i didnt, its was footage i had on hand at the time. I was too busy filming my short film for school, which is going to festivals as well. Im not trippen to the fact that i wasnt picked because im busy wit school anyway. Im jus a lil bitter Because i thought i was going to see some really good videos in the finals. dont get me wrong there are some really good videos on there already but some shoud have been better. thats it and thats all
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-09-2004, 11:32 PM Reply   
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-09-2004, 11:33 PM Reply   
i was kidding. sorry.

don't be bitter. just improve on what you know and be happy for your fellow film makers. and yes, there are some really good videos in the finals. they're not there for nothin.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-09-2004, 11:42 PM Reply   

I remeber that video, its nice, my teacher always tells me if you cant solve it dissovle it. But ya i have a one year old video too thats online already.its old though...

http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/vas_video_voting.jsp
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-09-2004, 11:43 PM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=10248

sorry...
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-09-2004, 11:51 PM Reply   
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-09-2004, 11:58 PM Reply   
ya in the boat...y?
Old    down_south            12-10-2004, 5:37 AM Reply   
I am sure if you guys put your cameras down for awhile and jumped onto a board you wouldn't be so high strung
Old     (sb1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-10-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
some great entries, but I gotta give it up to Quincy Boardman...that vid is tight!
Old    parks143dna03            12-10-2004, 2:28 PM Reply   
Travis said:
"i think it should be based on how it was shot and put together by someone who wasnt had there shot in the industry in any way."

I second that!!

If I remember correctly, when I first saw the ad fot this contest in WBM They were talking about giving young, unexperinced, INSPIREING film makers. And now that VAS has picked people with pros in there video (except one), I guess I have beaf with VAS for faulse advertising. This was suposed to be a contest for people with the talent, but not the resorces. And the prize was going to be the resorces. Or the prize could be a year at the best film school that I cant afford.

And to all you film makers with the helli shots and pros, I hope you go on to making DVD's for me to buy. I also hope there good.

Here was my loosing entry
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12760

and heres a video i made (without pros)http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/198833.html?1100330276
Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-10-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
what the hell is wrong with yall? Its just a contest, there will be more, and since when do you need to win something to actually produce a video. Everyone knows that in order to produce a wake dvd, some capital is needed. Seems like most of yall are just trying to get by with a freebie....
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-10-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
playing devil's advocate here...

what good is it for someone to win this contest that has no access to good riders? will people buy a video filled with medeocre riding even if the editing is top notch? VAS is looking for someone who has has access to good riders and decent equipment so they can throw a bit of cash their way and jump start their project.

this contest isnt about who is the best editor. its about who VAS thinks will create a video that will sell the most copies.
Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-10-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
o yea, partick, leave the "vote for me" out of the video, makes u look like a punk. and uhm, did u use Window Movie Maker 2 for that video? at least the titles look like that. You might want to check out Avid, or Adobe, of Final Cut programs.

(Message edited by Pimp131 on December 10, 2004)
Old    parks143dna03            12-10-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
Holey cow, how do u not get this scott? This is a VIDEO contest! To see who can make the best VIDEO! and if its true what you say "VAS is looking for someone who has has access to good riders ", then eff VAS.}
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-10-2004, 3:34 PM Reply   

quote:

This was suposed to be a contest for people with the talent, but not the resorces.

with all due respect, where did it say that?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-10-2004, 3:36 PM Reply   

quote:

o yea, partick, leave the "vote for me" out of the video, makes u look like a punk.

bahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-10-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
I believe that if you can make a superior video without having access to professional riders, and you can still hold the attention of your audience without the big names, you've got the skillz. Hopefully the judges consider the quality of the video after putting the riding aside.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-10-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
Grow up Joe.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-10-2004, 3:40 PM Reply   
i laughed at someone's comment, that means i need to grow up? haha! ok dude!
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-10-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
I think everyone needs to stop complaning about this. If you read the rules although they keep changing the prizes to less and less It says and I quote "Put together a 3min video of the SICKEST RIDING and your BEST EDITING". I don't think VAS or any other distribution house would care if you could jump cut to the beat and went crazy good with some after effects program if the only riders you filmed only did surface tricks. Even if it went to the music. These guys are spending there money to put your video on DVD (not cheap) and are going to want something that will make them their money back. If you guys are upset your video didn't get picked. Just finish it (full length) and get your music cleared and submit to VAS for Distribution approval. If they like it they will make your DVDs and all your art work if needed all at no out of pocket cost to you other than what it cost you to film and edit. You will get a monthly royalty check minus a percentage of what it cost them to build your DVD and box. I don't see why everyone is complaning. This contest seems like it is the same thing they offer all producers for unfinished goods. Maybe they won't actually charge you for the DVD replication and boxart but I doubt that. They will probably just take a percentage out of your monthly sales and not tell you. And all this is pending you can get all your music cleared. Originally VAS was supposed to take care of the winners music clearence as part of the prize. I thought this was a good prize seeing how this stuff can get expensive, But I noticed they changed the rules and made the winner responsible for clearing the music rights. The one good thing I could see coming out of this contest is that hopefully the winner will get atleast 2-3 months of advertising in wakeboarding magazine. Hopefully something good will come out of this contest and maybe VAS will kick down a little more for the winner than what they have listed for prizes. Also I hope some of you guys will take my advise and finish your videos anyways, win or lose and look into getting them distributed. I thought most of them looked really good. Even the ones without the pros.
goodluck
Old    quincyboardman            12-13-2004, 9:03 PM Reply   
Yo guys. Just go out and shoot whoever.... pro or not. Have fun. Thats what its all about!! There is my two bits
Lates
Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-13-2004, 11:31 PM Reply   
for sure, but maybe dont try to submit it into a contest?

heh, im not a jerk i swear
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-13-2004, 11:38 PM Reply   
RE: the music rights....

On WakeboardingMag.com (As of Dec Monday December 13) it states:
"Grand prize winner will be responsible for intellectual property rights to the footage used in the movie and will need to provide music clearances for any music used from Ślocalą or Śpersonalą sources. "

On the VAS site it sates:

CanYouLegallyChangeThePrizeLikeThis

hmmmmm...?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-14-2004, 12:24 AM Reply   
i'm not so sure the two companies have actually spoken to one another as to what's at stake. makes you wonder about the whole contest.
Old    quincyboardman            12-14-2004, 2:12 PM Reply   
Ya who knows oh well. I'm thinkin that it should be organized like the contest similar to this with snowboarding. a lot more $ was at stake and they had pro riders and filmers do the judging. seems a little better than a political marketing campaign ya know?