Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-14-2012, 3:58 PM Reply   
A Facebook post suggests that he has a serious contender for Trick of the year already in the bag. The video cuts off, but it was off the dub, heelside, and everyone it the boat went F'n crazy after it was over.

Any guesses? Double Roll to Blind maybe? His 1080s are typically Toeside I think, so I don't think it's a 12.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-14-2012, 4:11 PM Reply   
'bout time, parks has already set the bar high with a double half cab mobe, the least someone can do is double roll to blind..
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-14-2012, 4:13 PM Reply   
MC pros have a distinct advantage over the other guys though.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-14-2012, 5:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
MC pros have a distinct advantage over the other guys though.
How you figure?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-14-2012, 6:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
How you figure?
their boats have that grid stringer system and the hull is extra thick. Duh.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-14-2012, 5:52 PM Reply   
link?
Old    mojo            03-14-2012, 6:48 PM Reply   
Any "pro" can go ride behind their friends boats. Most of them are friends or friendly towards one another.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-14-2012, 7:25 PM Reply   
The tower flex helps with line tension somehow
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       03-14-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
Maybe they have a new Power tower that rises as you hit the wake, therefore adding at least 3.45 feet in amplitude to every wake jump.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-14-2012, 7:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
any "pro" can go ride behind their friends boats. Most of them are friends or friendly towards one another.
this
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-15-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Any "pro" can go ride behind their friends boats. Most of them are friends or friendly towards one another.

I wonder how much grief Danny Harf received after he landed the infamous 1260. . . Behind a Malibu!

Or a couple years back when Aaron Rathy landing new tricks/variations behind his friends Xstar. . . I wonder if that played a part as to why he his contract with Nautique wasn't renewed?
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-16-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
... couple years back when Aaron Rathy landing new tricks/variations behind his friends Xstar. . . I wonder if that played a part as to why he his contract with Nautique wasn't renewed?
Huge part of that particular parting of ways. Because it was a repeat-offender thing.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            03-14-2012, 7:34 PM Reply   
I thought it was that when they cut the boat automatically knows and lowers the transom down creating a bigger wake, the speed control speeds up and the tower pylon spins unleashing another 3' of rope. Or was it that MC has thicker vinyl that creates more weight & downforce
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-14-2012, 9:32 PM Reply   
Haha, sounds like y'all have been down this road before
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-14-2012, 11:16 PM Reply   
Couldnt be the osmosis 5 to one finger landing I just drooled over for 10 min in the Fox ad, could it?
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-15-2012, 3:50 AM Reply   
link please Ben
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-15-2012, 5:39 AM Reply   
I took a quick look on Google and couldnt find it, but if you scoop the latest copy of Transworld its in there.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-15-2012, 9:31 AM Reply   
Where are the days of sharing the stoke of new tricks and pushing the sport forward real time?! Guys are really hinding new tricks to win a little plastic trophy at the end of the year?

Uh oh...I just heard myself and I must be getting old. Ha! Maybe there is more to the story but I don't get the secret nature of new tricks these days. I think it's bolder to say "Here it so. I landed . Come get it if you can!" Either way you're still the first and are challenging guys to step up their game.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-15-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQveYOVrQCE
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-15-2012, 11:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
Where are the days of sharing the stoke of new tricks and pushing the sport forward real time?! Guys are really hinding new tricks to win a little plastic trophy at the end of the year?

Uh oh...I just heard myself and I must be getting old. Ha! Maybe there is more to the story but I don't get the secret nature of new tricks these days. I think it's bolder to say "Here it so. I landed . Come get it if you can!" Either way you're still the first and are challenging guys to step up their game.
Agreed. I must be getting old too!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-15-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
Sweet!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-15-2012, 12:38 PM Reply   
That's a ****ty position for those guys to be in. Not fair to the riders. The other day, I heard a story from a mutual friend about a big-time pro wakeboarder (who shall remain nameless) losing his board sponsorship because a rep caught him riding another company's product because his board was broken. Made me mad!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-15-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
sadly i have friends like that too. if there board breaks and they dont have a back up board with that sponsor. theyre S.O.L.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-15-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
TBH, I have no idea how their contracts work, but I'm surprised he didn't have 5 extra decks just laying around.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-15-2012, 3:29 PM Reply   
^EUBANKS01 - if pro's didn't hold onto their new clips there would be no reason to see the films that they are in, that their sponsors pay money to put out, etc. etc. maybe thats why Defy was such a let down, because they blew it on showing new tricks. Maybe if they were a little more patient then people would be more stoked when the films come out. The snowboard and skateboard industry keeps tricks from the public for this reason. Wake should learn a little.

with that said, that was a super well done ad by fox.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-15-2012, 4:30 PM Reply   
I don't necessarily care all that much if they hold a trick back for a video or something, but I do wish they would keep quiet about it if they're going to do that. It sucks to hear, "Oh yeah I landed a sick new trick, but you guys can't see it or know what it was for another nine months." I'd rather just not even know a new trick was landed if I can't know what it was.
Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-15-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
austin i totally agree, show it or shut up
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-15-2012, 6:47 PM Reply   
Nah..."Old" are those guys who got to enjoy watching someone you have never heard of hit wake to wake 7's behind a boat...shortly after the release of Mayday. haha...THAT was an eye opening experience.
Old    mojo            03-15-2012, 8:44 PM Reply   
There are things called contract obligations. If you're riding someone else's product you better spray paint it before hand.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-15-2012, 10:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
There are things called contract obligations. If you're riding someone else's product you better spray paint it before hand.
We know. We're saying that perhaps these obligations are a little too strict.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-16-2012, 6:25 AM Reply   
i don't think they are too strict, that's how these guys make money! There are things you can and can't do in any job, wakeboarding and other sports have restrictions too! I mean if rider A is making X amount of bucks a year because he rides a Hyperlite, then he should stick to riding a hyperlite. If it breaks IMO you have two options...1. carry a second deck with you, i mean geez you get them for free!, or 2. The only acceptable time i see riding some other brand than your sponser is if its just you and 1 or 2 other pros on a boat and NO ONE is video taping! Boats are a different story, you can't expect someone to just ride one brand of boat no matter what, if that was the case itd be tough to find riding partners if all you could do was ride your boat when all of the other riders have their own boat sponsers too!

rant over.
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       03-16-2012, 6:34 AM Reply   
If I'm the marketing director of LF, Slingshot, HY, whatever.... I'm not thinking they're too strict. You are talking about private contractors here, not employees (for the most part). Part of the reason they are on contract and not salary... so they can be cut or they can leave.

This is a business, this a pro's way of life. You gonna risk your job for a few sets on a different board? Simply unprofessional and something the marketing director/team rep can't let slide.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-16-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
^^^ agree!
Old    mojo            03-16-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
I hate TOTY.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-16-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
I hate TOTY.
This.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-16-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
Dayummm that Osmosis is sick!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-16-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
Here's my buddy Justin doing the Osmosis wake to wake back in 04. I think I shot the pic, which explains the poor quality.
http://www.wakepics.com/image/10904/...ky-osmosis-540
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-16-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
And while I'm posting irrelevant stuff, here it is on video, wake to wake, with a nose grab at 1:04.

http://www.wakepics.com/img/10093
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-16-2012, 12:40 PM Reply   
Is it just me or is his osmosis 5 not that great compared to SOB's 720 from a few years back...

don't get me wrong, its a cool trick that I cannot do but to say a lock for TOTY seems unlikely when a better version didn't win in 09'
Old    mojo            03-16-2012, 7:00 PM Reply   
Matt sims wins.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-16-2012, 7:34 PM Reply   
009 is #1
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-16-2012, 7:38 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmhJ3PYAMR0
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-16-2012, 7:49 PM Reply   
^^^sick!!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-16-2012, 10:03 PM Reply   
I love that video of Matt Sims. Always a classic for sure.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-16-2012, 10:39 PM Reply   
sob is sooo sick.

he was riding behind a SAN 230, correct???
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-16-2012, 10:42 PM Reply   
Nick...who is saying that is a lock for TOTY?! I didnt consider that for a second. Its only somewhat cool because he landed with 1 finger, but that trick is incredibly average. And I have landed spins with 1 or 2 fingers plenty of times on accident, that doesn't elevate it to elite status. I'm not hating, Im just saying I bet that Rusty would say the same thing....totally stock trick he just happened to land with 1 finger accidentally. Id be shocked and offended if that was submitted for TOTY. Rob Struharik has been doing that trick for 10 years and as you said, SOB landed an osmosis TS 7 as well as Rathy's sick osmosis grabbed HS 7s.
Old     (vlxwakeboarderTN)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-17-2012, 5:16 AM Reply   
That's not the trick for toty. The other video doesn't show the trick. Just his approach then the boat going nuts.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-17-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
A Facebook post suggests that he has a serious contender for Trick of the year already in the bag.
Assuming that fox video is the same as what the OP saw on facebook.... just guessing