Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-18-2011, 12:43 PM Reply   
...at the state level trying to protect big business against local communities who took price gouging into their own hands... wth?

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21161
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-18-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
Wow is all I can say.....
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-18-2011, 1:11 PM Reply   
""We have our local governments in direct competition with private industry.""

If its so lucrative to add the competition, why isn't the competition already there.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-19-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
who cares? The government is competing against the "private sector" and succeeding! Not costing the public a dime! Power to the people! Hope this shuts up the stupid Republicans who always say the government always cost the people more money, what a lie. Local governments are the best. When you talk about the local government you are talking about a system where you know where every dime is going and you can vote for or against any issue you want and they are taking either 1%-3% of your money. The people that run these cities sometimes don't even have opponents to run against, they just like being involved. I would never want my local government shut down for even one hour. Then, we go to the State level where they take 5%-8% of all your money and then 5% or more when you buy something new(talk about a regressive tax) and then 5% or more when you buy something used. I know that you can find where most of the money goes but they could shut down for a couple weeks and I wouldn't know the difference. Then, you have the federal government who takes most of your money and it goes into the eternal abyss of waste or social programs to redistribute the wealth. I wish the federal government would just shut down, but we have too many government jobs employing people that actually think they are needed, when the reality is they are just a part of the big social program. Our only solution is for the government to know where every dime is going and to have programs like the local cities suchas this one to save the people money!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-19-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
" ...a firm has a dominant position, then there is "a special responsibility not to allow its conduct to impair competition on the common market""

Sounds like this law ^ shouldn't allow it.... but my guess is since "internet" isn't a required good/service they'll get away with it
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-21-2011, 7:18 AM Reply   
"Local governments are the best. When you talk about the local government you are talking about a system where you know where every dime is going and you can vote for or against any issue you want"

Yeah right.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-30-2011, 7:05 PM Reply   
Update:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21263

"In other words, Republicans are arguing, even if local citizens want to band together and spend local government funds on municipal projects they are prohibited from doing so. Thus the state government is essentially robbing the citizens of the right to self-governance, because they argue, the locals might make an "immoral" decision to threaten the local telecom's monopoly/duopoly."
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-14-2011, 4:17 PM Reply   
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21385

Looks like this will be fought in the state senate...