Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       06-22-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
does anyone have experience with these firsthand or otherwise?
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-22-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
I just got one but havent installed it yet. I will let you know after the 4th weekend. There was a thread over on planetnautique, and everybody who had one was raving about it.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       06-22-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
thanks seth, I will try and find that link over on that site
Old     (jmcdanie)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-22-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
I installed on about a month ago and love it. I do not have any experience with the HSE, so I cannot do a comparison.

This was EASY to install and since it plugs in to your radio as a remote and does not require an RPM signal, it only takes a few minutes to install (unless it takes you a long time to figure out where to mount it at).

Only drawback is that you cannot set the HIGH volume, it just turns the volume up a certain amount depending on how much you turn the knob. If you turn the knob too far, it may turn your radio up REALLY loud. I have mine mounted under my dash and I do not let others mess with it. I set it and forget it each time we go out depending on the people I am out with (if my 11 week old son is in the boat, it does not get turned up as loud as when it is just a cuople of my crew).

Hope that helps! For me, the price difference (there is a promo code to get 10% off in another thread on here) of it and the HSE, this was a no brainer.....
Old     (Braonm)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-22-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
Thank you all for the encouraging feedback about our product The Boost Box - Automatic Volume Control for marine stereos.

I have good knoweledge about the software and operation of the electronics, and I can personally assist you with any technical questions you may have about The Boost Box. Also our sales team can be contacted directly through the main website : www.watersportinnovations.com

Also, if you google "the boost box" you can find installation videos, testimonials, and other good information to see if The Boost Box is the right product for you.

Braon

DISCLAIMER - I represent The Boost Box on the web.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-23-2010, 5:28 AM Reply   
Braon, I am fixing to install a new Kenwood KMR-700u head unit in my boat. I seen the Boost Box on the Monster.com site and it says it will not work with this Kenwood HU. Is this true?
Old     (wallnut21)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-23-2010, 5:45 AM Reply   
I got one before the season started and I love it.... my wife does too! EASY to install and just as easy to use. I mounted mine in the glove box. I turn it on when I put the boat in the water and then forget about it. No complaints from me (or my wife) yet!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-24-2010, 5:56 AM Reply   
Boost Box is the Sheet we love it.
Old     (Ks)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-24-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
I have one in my boat and love it! Esp when you ride yourself, Its so nice to set it yourself when you are still in the boat... Saves arguments..LOL

There was another thread about it while ago that I also posted on that I have a few for sale that I bought from a shop on closeout, I kept one for myself and want the sell the others. PM if interested.
Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-24-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
My favorite upgrade of the season!!! If you are debating the boost box or something else, I would get a boost box!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-24-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
if i understand this correctly, this will NOT work in conjunction with the ipod/iphone aux input on the WS420, correct? because the 420 is processing the signal versus the HU (volume control on HU and remotes is useless with ipod/ipone as source).

???
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-24-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
When will there be a Pioneer compatible Boost Box? I want one of these for sure.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-25-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_upppp View Post
When will there be a Pioneer compatible Boost Box? I want one of these for sure.
Me Two!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-25-2010, 10:23 PM Reply   
Just ordered mine. Its part # WSI 1109. (wireless). Only catch is you have to mount the IR lens within 8 in. of the head unit, (it looks to be pretty small, maybe 1/4 in. at the end of a small cable) so I figured I can integrate it into the lid on my stereo enclosure. It looks like you can also stick it right on the stereo face where it get its IR signal. Mine will be pretty much hidden and I will still be able to take the stereo face off. This model works with multiple brands too...not just Pioneer.

Last edited by wake_upppp; 06-25-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-09-2010, 6:29 PM Reply   
I am looking at adding one of these boost box's. It can be kinda difficult to control the volume of the in-boats and tower via the WS420 in bumpy water (like when coming around to pick up the rider). two questions for those that have one:

1) Can you bypass the Boost Box? What if I dont want to use it and just want to use my stereo like i currently do?
2) How do you set the max volume level? With the knob? I have my system all set up with my HU at 85% max to ensure I dont blow my system. But if the boost box is essentially the new HU volume knob, how do I control the max (just dont turn the knob too far?)

Thanks!
Old     (jmcdanie)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-09-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
1 - If the Boost Box is turned off, it is bypassed and will not do anything.
2 - There is no way to set the max volume. You have to keep from turning the knob too far. The one thing I do is turn the box on when sitting still (first rider getting ready). Then I just turn it up a hair and set my regular volume on the stereo. When I get the boat up on plane, I adjust the boost box to my max volume. Then I just forget about it the rest of the day since the volume level usually depends on the people in the boat. I have my boost box out of the way so nobody can turn it too far up and if anyone is driving, I tell them to leave the radio alone so it does not get too loud.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-09-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
Joe, Does the boost box disable the volume knob on the HU? I didnt see a power switch on the box?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-09-2010, 10:24 PM Reply   
Derek, it does not disable the volume knob. When you turn the Boost Box to "off" the head unit works normal, and the BB is off. Actually with the BB on or off the head unit volume and remote work as normal. I set mine up so "max" on the BB was the max volume that my system is tuned to which happens to be around 42 to 45 depending on the track thats playing. Turn the head unit on and the BB from "off" to "max" in calm water and it's done. I have actually contacted Mark @ Watersports Innovations about tweaking the software to taylor a little more to my needs regarding the low end volume, or the amount the BB turns down the volume upon decceleration and he is working with me on this. I have had top notch contact and service with him from the beginning. Great to deal with!
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-10-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, just placed the order. We'll give it a whirl.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-10-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
My only very minor gripe is that it is just a tad slow to turn down the volume.... I think it's 6 seconds and I wouldn't mind if it were more like 3 or 4. Otherwise it works just the way you think it should and does great with the ws420. Added bonus is that if you come off plane and then gun it again it will turn back up... which can be a cue that you are powerturning to pick up your rider.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-10-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
Maybe Sparky can help us all with that. Sounds like he is well connected here.
Old     (Braonm)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-10-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
There are a few topics here so let me hit a couple.

The wireless IR unit Sparky Jay mentioned (WS1109) is the most versatile unit, and can be programmed by the user as many times as desired to any of the following brands which have an IR sensor pick up on the front of the HU:
• Clarion
• Kenwood
• Pioneer
• Alpine
• JVC
• Sony

The 1109 also supports these untis if you have the right cable, ordered separately:
• Clarion (2009 and earlier)
• Kenwood (2009 and earlier)
• MB-Quart

That means that with one unit, you could take your Boost Box with you to your friend's boat, and still get to use it.

The JBL and Sony "wired" units, make for really slick installs (no IR button on the front face), but they are also "hard coded" to those stereo brands. The reason is the various set ups for the "wired" interface is different among the different marine stereo manufacturers, and they keep changing their wired remote pin out. Make sure you seat the cable completely in the back of the Boost Box unit, we've had some reports of cables not fully seated causing some trouble.

To address the concern about "max volume", The Boost Box at its maximum setting can turn the volume up 20 times. Let's see if this engineering table comes through on the post:
Knob "positions" Boost level or Response
"Off" 0 Device Reset
1 6
2 7
3 8
4 9
5 10
6 11
7 12
8 13
9 14
10 15
11 16
12 17
13 18
14 20
"Max" 15 22, or device program if within 7 seconds of power up, or Device reset

We've had some requests to "amp up" the tail end of this chart and get the boost up to 30 (the quote "these go to eleven" comes to mind). What do you guys think? Another solution is to increase the gain through a WS420 if you have one, or your pre-amp/amp tuning?

For the ipod question, the current Boost Box can only control the head unit directly, so if you have an AUX in on your HU, you're good to go with the Boost Box and an ipod setup also. We do see this as an area of improvement though, and a more general low voltage Audio in/out adapter is being planned. (not to mention the motorcycle/car version, that'll be interesting).

For slow turn down, the best thing to do is recalibrate after you've re-configured your boat. Sometimes if you've got everything working great for wake-boarding, and then you see "slow turn down" during wake surfing, it is because you need to do a recalibrate after you've changed your load out for wake surfing (dropping a wedge, filling up fat sacs, that kind of thing).

Also if you want, you can intentionally "trick" the calibration on the unit by calibrating the unit while driving on smooth water, and decelerating ever so gently. This makes the unit slightly less likely to "boost" and slightly more likely to "turn down." The unit looks at both "static" and "dynamic" motion, and the calibration is set purely on the static part, but like i said, there are ways to trick it if it can help you for your particular boat (especially the guys who put them on jazzed up pontoon boats)

Please let me know if that helped, and I'd be glad to field any more questions as I'm able.

I appreciate your kind feedback.

Braon
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-13-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Do you guys take a little level with you on the lake when you mount your box? So if I set my volume on my HU to 26 and the BB at max it will take the volume from 6 to 26 and back down to 6?
Old     (jmcdanie)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-13-2010, 6:49 PM Reply   
I just mounted mine while it was still on the trailer. Usually, the fllor of your boat would be close enough to level with the water line. If it is off a little from perfectly level, it does not seem to matter as I add 1800 pounds of ballast and it works just as well when there is no ballast.

If you set your HU to 6, it will bump it up to 26 (or whatever you want it to do inbetween). I usually just turn it on a little and set my minimum volume, then once I am pulling the first rider down the river, I set the max level by turning the BB up to the level I want it to peak at. Then, I just leave it the rest of the day, weekend, month (depending if my crew changes as I have a 4 month old that I do not want to blow away).
Old     (Braonm)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-16-2010, 6:14 AM Reply   
The unit can be mounted as much as +/-15 deg off of level. You can calibrate the unit by turning the boost knob all the way down, the red indicator light turns off, then back on, and the indicator will blink. When it is back to solid red light, it is calibrated.

Braon
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-16-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
OK got the boost box on Friday, hooked it up in about 10 minutes. It took that long only because I struggled a little tapping into the remote power line. VERY easy install. As for installing it level: I eyeballed it with the floor in the garage. I think if you get close, you are fine, I was.

Had it out on the water all weekend and it worked GREAT! For surfing, it is a little slow to turn the volume down, but that's because i keep the speed up enuf to make sure the bow doesnt take on water during the turnaround. But when I back off the throttle, it responds nicely.

The funcationality is quite simple, it seems to me. On my sony, you can actually see the volume changing as the boost box sends its signal. I didnt have a lot of time to dial it in perfectly with the WS420 because I had kids on the boat and didnt get much down time (they wanted to surf all day lol). But I am confident that I will be able to dial it in when I get more time.

Overall seems to be a great product.