Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-30-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
hey guys some friends and i are looking at taking a 4 or so day trip and i was wondering if anybody had any good suggestions. i am located in south central iowa and we are looking for a spot where we can camp and ride smooth water. we are,looking at the kansas city area, minneapolis, st. louis to ride the river, or over in the omaha area to give you guys an idea on locations. any input would be great.
thanks guys
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-30-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
i dont know about coming to omaha, we have minimal places to ride and camp like you want to do. Theres a lake called calamus lake, thats about 7mi NE of burwell, NE...another placed called branched oak, in raymond NE, i'm pretty sure they've got camping and boating..

this is off the topic, but who is your internet provider in albia ia?
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       04-30-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
When are you taking the trip, we are having a wakeboarding cancer benefit on May 10th in Rome City Indiana called the Ice Breaker. It is going to be a really good time and there is camping 10 minutes from where we are having the event. Plus, if you want to make a few extra days there are going to be plenty of people in the area who I am sure will be more than willing to hook you up with rides in addition to the event. I know it may be a little farther than you may have planned on driving, but it should definitely be worth it.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/567477.html?1209480212

(Message edited by balr54 on April 30, 2008)
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-30-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
I would reccomend northern WI personally, and I'm sure there is some great spots in Minnesota as well.

This would be a great question for the guys over at midwestwakeboarder.com, we have a few people from everywhere to help you find a spot.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
My fav. spot to vacation in the midwest is Table Rock Lake in Southern Missouri....DEEP water and very clear...and if you stay at the north end of the lake by Cape Fair there is very little boat traffic even on the weekends.

midwestwakeboarder for sure

(Message edited by denwbaseball on April 30, 2008)
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-30-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
I would recommend doing a trip to Central MO area, you can check out the cable at KC Watersports. It's a great setup, something different too, then there are tons of lakes around there within about a 2 hour drive.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-30-2008, 6:39 PM Reply   
Northern WI gets a thumb up from me. Check out Lake Tomahawk/Minocqua but make sure you don't go on a holiday weekend or you'll never find good water.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-30-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
North Central MN

Tons of lakes, cheap gas.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
Another for Tablerock lake...go back by big cow/little cow creek area for amazing water/great sights.
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-30-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
I live on big-sandy Lake 2 hours north of minneraplois and there is a couple camp grounds here and hotel. Its a big lake and its got some nice butter on it.they have a ok hotel called Big Sandy Lodge and a campground is Eaglepoints Campground Theres more but thats wat i can think of right now i have an orange gekko revo 6.7 Honk a couple times if im oput there
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
Ethan, do tell on the cheap gas.
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-30-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
Clinton lake in Clinton,Illinois. it's a powerplant lake. the water can be 70 degrees on the side of the lake with the powerplant. This time of year people won't be crowding the lake because most people just got their boats out.
Old     (mox369)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-30-2008, 9:22 PM Reply   
wes, does the water also glow a bright green color or anything lol just kiddin
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-01-2008, 4:59 AM Reply   
You Table Rock guys should make the trip to Bull Shoals.
We're about 45 minutes east of Branson. Some of the best water you will find anywhere.
www.missourichamber.com
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-01-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
Minnesota Sucks, you would never want to come here, no lakes, to many people, really expensive gas.

Okay I am totally kidding this place is the best place on earth to ride! If you guys come up this way let me know, I will tip you off on were to ride and maybe sneak a session in with you.
Old     (wakinali)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
Cody - I just moved to Iowa from MN - so I know your pain. The Mississippi river is a great place to ride, just have to watch out for wing dames! You can camp right on the river on the sandbars, it is heaven! From Winona up to Lake City there are tons of sweet places and if it during the week you can find glass in the main channel. I can prob hook you up with some people up that way. Have a sweet trip! Oh yeah and if you can ride with Andy - Do it - hes an awsome guy and a sick rider - your garented a jaw drop or two!
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-01-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
My two cents...... 30 miles south of Topeka, Pomona Lake or Melvern. Thousands of acres of butter, because it's in the middle of nowhere. Great place to ride.
Old     (badassstang2006)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-01-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
ya im with shawn or come up to topeka during the week day and i can show you some nice GLASS that is always a good ride.
Old     (05buvlx)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-01-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
About 25 min. east of topeka is Lake perry, We camp there alot in the summer and there are plenty of places to ride. If the wind is bad in one spot there will always be another that is good. Also they have a party cove that gets crazy. Only come here if your liver can handle it.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
Laurie H: You guys have the Centurion don't you? Two spring breaks ago our team went down to the Blaylock's cabin, I think we met you...
Old     (badassstang2006)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-01-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
hell yes go to perry but chris is right, make sure your liver can handle it.
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-01-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
Hit up Truman Lake in Warsaw, MO. Not much to do other than ride though. Other than that if you go during the week and hit the water early Lake of the Ozarks is a good choice.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Truman lake scares me...so many trees! We lost a prop there a few years back, and I don't think I'll ever go again.
Old     (wake402)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-01-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
Definitely hit up Table Rock Lake, the Kings River branch of it is killer, Just south of Shell Knob.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-01-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
Central Wisconsin - Rome, WI is pretty killer allllll week long, lots of lakes, just a nice quite small town... i live here and love it
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-01-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
Garret, yep, that's us!
Are you all coming down again this year? Would be great to see you. Let me know...
Lauri
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-01-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
hey thanks guys this is awesome. now i just need to narrow it down. i would like to make the trip to the wisconsin area because i know its really pretty up there but thats a long haul for a four day weekend. we have a pretty nice lake here but i just want to get out of the area for a weekend and have some fun and focus on riding. i wouldn't mind table rock, and i was looking around topeka at some places.anything else would be great.
thanks everyone
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-01-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
rome,wi has lots of lakes so you could mix it up...there is a motel on one of the lakes you so you could leave your boat in the water too if need be..
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
i'm thinking either rome wisconsin or bull shoals and if andy nintzel can tell some areas to look around minne is still in there too. topeka would be nice it is for sure the closest drive too, but since we are going to make this trip in advance and can't predict the conditions i feel like lakes in kansas would get blown out really easily. alteast wisconsin and minnesota have some rolling hills to protect the glass.
nick, which rome, wi do you live in woody or jefferson county
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
wes, is lake clinton in a valley or protected, it doesn't look like it has that many coves. and would we be able to camp on the lake or does the power plant own the property.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-02-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
So you guys are the ones in the back of Little Cow screwing with the waterskiers... Tsk tsk of all the places on the lake you could ride - you guys pick the only cove with a course in it!

JK guys - but remember to take turns with the skiers.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-02-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
its right on the boarder of Adams and wood county.

The lakes right in the small town are
Lake Arrowhead - Sherwood (has motel and where I live...also a gas pump on the water) - Camelot

or like 20 min south check out
Northern Bay resort, its a big fancy place on Castle Rock Lake (HUGE lake, but shallow in spots)

(Message edited by sidekicknicholas on May 02, 2008)
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-02-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
If you want to camp/ride in the midwest ($5 a night, park your boat in the water, on a peninsula overlooking glass), check out Pomme de Terrehttp://www.pommedeterrechamber.com/
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
thanks nick that doesn't sound too bad

andy, could we find good water on the weekends too, or does this place get hammered. it looks decent to ride since they only have pictures of fishermen on their website.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-03-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
I haven't been to Pomme in 2 years, but the last time I was there on a Saturday in summer, we were the only ones riding (no cabins on the shore/docks)... If you want a scene, go to Table Rock. If you are looking to camp with friends and ride just the handful of y'all I say Pomme de Terre...worst case scenario, camp at Pomme and if you don't like it head to Table Rock (Look on a map...it would be close to on your way anyway)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-06-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
Table Rock is flooded out right now from what I hear. You might want to check it out a little before you plan a trip there. I would imagine there is a lot of debree floating around.