Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (mattkelley02gt)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-04-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
Ok so i have a 2000 Moomba outback with two 440lb sacks currently that i put on each side of the engine, but i want to add more weight to make my wake even bigger when this summer comes around. Anyway, i was thinking about taking the back seat out and adding one of the fat sac couches that weighs 1200lbs in the back and then just putting one of the 440lb sacs in the bow, what do you guys think? is it too much? do you think i should use the other 440lb sac also, if so, where should i put that one?

Thanks guys
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-04-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
well you don't really want to have all of your weight in the back and front with none in the middle as that will really stress out your hull. I don't have a moomba but I do have a Sport Nautique that is also a Direct Drive and this is how I go about weighting it down.

400 in pop bags under back seat.
270 side sac on each side of the motor
300 tube sac in the ski locker
250 fat sac up in the nose
250 fat sac right behind the motor
500 on the back seat if there are no people besides the driver.
all together I have about 2k in weight evenly distributed about the boat and some extra in the back to keep the wake tall and steep the way I like it.
2000 lbs seems to be the magic # in most boats so you should get at least 1200 and then play around with placement.
Just remember that more weight in the back will give you a steep wake while more weight in the front will give you a more rampy wake with a smoother transition, it is all personal preference so just get some more bags and play around with it.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-04-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
I guess I read the title wrong. No that is not to much as I posted above I use about 2k and others on here use as much as 4k and the stock ballast on some boats is up to 4k. So no you are just another wake junky like the rest of us who want a bigger wake.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-04-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
when the rub rail is in the water
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-04-2007, 3:45 PM Reply   
If it's the Moomba that comes to mind, beware of water washing over the stern when you come off plane. My Sanger is low enough that I have to keep an eye out when loaded down.
Old     (mattkelley02gt)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-04-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
so what if i put the fat sac seat/couch in the back, and then a 440lb in the middle and a 440lb in the front? Would that be pretty even?
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-04-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
Yeah that is a good start, by in the middle do you mean the ski locker.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-04-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
I thought more ballast in front = steeper wake. More ballast in back was flatter. (I read that in another thread). So which one is it? What Robert said makes more sense, but I am unsure without trying it out.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-04-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
just load it down, and take away from a really big number... at a certain point the wake stops getting bigger, but the RPM's still grow...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-04-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
Back = Steep until it washes, then to much rear
Front = mellows the wake down, more tranny
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-04-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
Nick.. I promise you the wake will continue to get bigger as you add weight no matter how much that is I will be happy to show you
Old     (ally505)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-05-2007, 1:12 AM Reply   
robertr720, do you have any pics of the boat loaded down. I also have a '97 sport, I have approx 500lbs lead at the stern, 270lbs sacs either side directly in front of the rear seat and approx 300lb sac in the ski locker. I find the wake pretty good at this but do have to keep an eye out for swamping the stern if I come off the plane too quickly.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-05-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
The last boat we had, 1500 lbs...the wake got no bigger after that, just sucked more gas... our newer boat keeps growing, but shallow hull boats can only get so big
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-05-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
keep adding more weight until it takes about a 1/4 mile and everyone running to the front to get on plane. then you know that you have as much weight as it will take. thats typically how it goes for us when we have the best riding days. i suggest that you move the wieght around here and there to find the sweet spot for your boat. usually you want a little bit more weight in the rear than the front.