Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-19-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
I'm looking at a few Lowepro bags for my D40X and a selection of lenses etc'.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with the side-access style bags. Do they work out? Is it awkward to get the camera out or is it handy? I really like the idea, but would love to hear from anyone who has actually used one.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-19-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
You must mean the Slingshot series, like the 200. The 100 is way too small for a full bodied DSLR and the 200 has a ton of wasted space. Best bet is to go into a camera store and look at them in person. Load your gear up and see if you like the layout. Neither one worked for "ME".

I have too many camera bags and am always looking for the perfect one. We are headed to Europe in a few days and I am taking a Tamrac Express 7 as it will hold the camera body, three lenses and a flash along with a couple of filters, yet still be smallish and accessible. It looks very much like a man purse Many places in Europe do not allow backpacks or larger bags, but purses and small bags are allowed. Depends what you plan to use the bag for. One is never enough either.

If anyone wants them I have some brand new (Tags attached) Lowepro EX160 camera bags I would let go for pretty cheap. They are all black. http://lowepro.com/Products/Shoulder_Bags/classic/EX_160.aspx
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-19-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
I would say the SS 100 would be perfect for a D40x and a couple of lenses
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-19-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
I don't know about the side-access bags but I love my CompuTrekker Plus AW. On "excursions" I usually carry my macbook pro plus a/c and mouse, 30D, 580EX, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L, 60mm f2.8 macro, spare CF cards, etc. It's heavy as hell when it's loaded down but comfortable. Plus, the rain slicker has saved me more than once with the unpredictable weather we get in UT.

It's held up amazingly well considering the abuse I've given it.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-20-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
I'm not after a sling bag, one of the applications will be strapping it on to carry my gear off-road on my dirtbike. I definately need a full harness type pack. I've been looking at several of the '200' size Lowepro packs.

I was originally after one that had side access, but I think I've convinced myself that I'll drop the cam while pulling it in a hurry. Seems just awkward enough.

I think I've decided on the Dryzone 200. Fully waterproof, floats, heavy protection and a good harness.

Now...I just need to make sure I'm on Santa's good list!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-20-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
I do not think I have seen a side access backpack. The Dryzone looks OK. Can you find one to see in person?

Here is a passed thread
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87667/490526.html?1187788806
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       12-20-2007, 4:51 PM Reply   
i like my burton ak zoom pack, its waterproof and padded so i can take it with me snowboarding, it has enough room to fit a 30d, 400d, 70-300Is, 17-40l, 100mm, and extension tubes. Anymore than that and you got one sore back :-)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-20-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
I was at the camera store tonight and looked at the Dryzone 200...NO WAY NO HOW! At least not for "ME". It is three levels to get to the camera. First you have to undo a plastic clip, then two zippers to access the camera. The zipper is super stiff since it is a dry zipper. The plastic buckle is hard to reconnect.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-20-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
Peter, the primus(I believe) from lowepro is side access.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-21-2007, 5:39 AM Reply   
I have not had a chance to look at the Dryzone in person. My local store doesn't have the best inventory. There is a scuba shop that is a Lowepro dealer so I plan on checking there.

In the reviews I read about the Dryzone, it seems that most leave the rubber zipper open unless you are in a wet environment.

I appreciate the description, and I think I need to check it out myself before pulling the trigger. I started out on the backpack quest to find something convinient, and my focus shifted to protection from the elements. Maybe I should get back to my original quest. Or...get the dryzone for the boat, and a side-access like the Primus AW for general use.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-21-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
I'm getting a Dryzone 200 for xmas. I'll take pix if everyone wants to see.

seems like the best price to buy is on ebay...

check this out!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lowepro-DRYZONE-200-Gray-Waterproof-Photo-BackPack_W0QQitemZ300183206562QQihZ020QQcategoryZ5 0505QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-29-2007, 7:04 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tip to the Ebay seller Eric. My Dryzone 200 showed up a few days ago.

The zipper is probably not as bad as you experienced in the store Peter. The bag comes with zipper lube that makes a HUGE difference of the pull force. That said, this is definately not the bag for the 'quick draw' application. It helps to leave the water zipper open unless needed, but still a little bulky.

I start my search looking for something fast to draw the camera, and ended up going in a completely different direction. The Dryzone will be great for the boat, jet-ski, dirtbike etc...but I guess I'll just be forced to get a sling type bag for more typical duty.

Thanks for the input guys. The Dryzone is an awesome product for it's application.