Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-06-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
Being in oklahoma red clay gel coat stays are a given. I left my boat in a slip on the 4th of july and have been trying to get the red clay stains out ever since.
I've tried ducky's, babes products, and roll of? (dealer swore by it).
The last resort would be to try toilet bowl cleaner which I was told should get it.
But I hate to try that.
We used a buffer and rubbing compund on a buddies baja and it still has stains on it so kind of at a loss on how to get rid of this stuff.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-06-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
i went to the supra reunion in oklahoma with my brand new at the time '11. the red clay stained my seadek swim platform, and it was never come out. really sucks.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-06-2011, 8:11 AM Reply   
Was that the one on texoma?
Old     (iliketowakealot)      Join Date: May 2011       09-06-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
Try On & Off Hull/Bottom Cleaner, its powerful stuff. You can buy it at westmarine.com
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-06-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
yes
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-06-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
Try vinegar and water. I think its a 1/10 mixture removes water spots stains etc... Will also remove your wax so be warned if you want it waxed once you remove the stains you will need to re-wax it. I am on Texoma so I am familiar with the water stains and this is what works for us.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-06-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
I'll try the vingar tonight.
Doesn't ducky's and babes cleaner stuff have vinegar?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-06-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
Ohh and texoma is where I got the stains.
How was the lake this past weekend since the corp shut it down?
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-06-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
I do not know anything about ducky's or babes. We have always used vinegar and water. It might take some work if the stains have been there to long. We have a black boat so the water stains get solidified pretty quickly. The only other product I have used is 3M clean and shine during wipedown.

There was no one on Texoma this weekend, we drove up to Arbuckle instead. It was all blown out from the N wind. Guess can't complain though from Memorial Day to Labor Day we have had pretty good water most of the summer "what water is left in the lake". All of our ramps are out of water now too.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-06-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
the 4th was fun except that one storm front.
Hopefully we'll get some rain with this front to help out this drought.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-06-2011, 2:44 PM Reply   
Mineral stains are a lot tougher to remove than mineral deposits (water spots) baked on the surface so most off the shelf waterspot removers won't touch it. Because gelcoat is porous you need something that will effectively cleanse the area such as an acid wash or wetsand/buff through the effected layer of gelcoat if you really want it to look like new. Then once clean, follow up with a quality silicone wax sealant to prevent it from happening again.

Once sealed, the red clay will wipe off as opposed to staining the gelcoat.

FYI - carnuba wax leaves a beautiful, shiny finish immediately after application but even the high quality products tend to wash off after only a few uses or days in a slip leaving the bare gelcoat unprotected. Silicone sealants hold up in the marine environment which is why that's all we'll trust in our 'Sauce' line of boat care products

Zack
www.boatbling.net
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-06-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
Have you tried a strong solution of bleach? Use a roller and pan and keep it wet.

It's your house, go try it.

Won't costcha nuth'n.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-06-2011, 6:49 PM Reply   
Time to try bleach, the vinegar did nothing.
I've only used babes liquid wax but the long weekend in the water got through it i guess and have kept further extension of stains but never got rid of first ones.
Old     (val_cal)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-06-2011, 7:32 PM Reply   
What about Boat Bling Sauce. That stuff works great with the funky water we have in the delta
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowwboy View Post
Time to try bleach, the vinegar did nothing.
I've only used babes liquid wax but the long weekend in the water got through it i guess and have kept further extension of stains but never got rid of first ones.
Hope the bleach did the trick! Let us know how it turned out.

Quote:
What about Boat Bling Sauce. That stuff works great with the funky water we have in the delta
Appreciate the props and glad to hear you're happy with the product! Unfortunately, once the minerals penetrate the pores in gelcoat (stained) it's beyond what Hot Sauce was designed for. Once cleaned thoroughly and waxed, the Hot Sauce would help maintain the waxed, sealed gelcoat surface so it would be much easier to clean in the future.

Zack
www.boatbling.net
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-07-2011, 11:26 AM Reply   
Zack,
Do you have any dealers here in oklahoma city or do I have to mail order it?
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2011, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowwboy View Post
Zack,
Do you have any dealers here in oklahoma city or do I have to mail order it?
Sorry Daniel,

Our distribution network has a gap in your area that should be served by Spring 2012 so your best bet is to order online at http://www.boatbling.net Be sure to use the promo code WAKEWORLD at checkout for a 10% discount off your order.

If you have a local dealer or marina that you think may be interested in the product, give us a shout (zack@boatbling.net) and we'll reach out to them. If they place an order we'll be more than happy to send you a care package of Sauce products free of charge!

Thanks for the interest!

Zack
www.boatbling.net