Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
We made a whirlwind trip to Orlando to see some of Surf Expo, and I got the chance to see some of the new wakesurf specific offerings.

We primarily went so that James could 'bro out in TWP booth for the unveiling of his new signature model.

Expo is a big event - announcement at the MCO - Orlando International Kiosk.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Dennis was kind enough to bring our credentials outside so that we could make it past security.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
TWP introduced a few new models at Expo. The James Walker Pro, a skimboard line and also the convert.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
I thought this was interesting - the artwork is a digital reproduction blown up and the laminated to the board - so you could have your favorite picture on your stick.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
Expo is the land of 5" heels and bikini's.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
Shred Stixx announced a number of new products. The Hazen Pro, a skimboard and tower racks. The racks can be ordered with surf specific fingers or combo surf and skim.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Jerry in front of the Shred Stixx display.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
The Shred Stixx booth was in between the Supreme and Sanger displays. The new Supreme picklefork was featured. This boat looks like it has some potential for wakesurfing.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
The folks at Epic say they have their 23 dialed for surfing. It was good to see a TWP in the rack of the boat in their display.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
Inland announced a replacement for their Green Loogey - check the surf'ish swallowtail. I forgot the name of this prototype, but they all raved about it's performace. Their A Frame quad conforguration too.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
I had heard about the Hyperlite Swell and finally got a chance to see it. Diamond nose and tail skimmer.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
Phase 5 and Zap had a huge display - I couldn't get all of the boards they had there in the picture.

Upload
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-14-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
Awesome. Thanks for posting those.
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
Eric Roush and the Surftech folks were there in force. Eric holding a quad fin loaf. I got the chance to talk with Drew of the Santa Cruz operation and he was telling me that they handle 482 unique shapes now, not color combinations actual unique shapes.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
Endless Break is one of the new kids on the block. They were a significant sponsor of the WWSC and displayed some gorgeous artwork on their boards.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
Another new kid on the wakesurf block was Grind Water Sports. For those familiar with wakeboarding - Darin Shapiro was the man in the booth. The video loop included footage of Darin wakesurfing.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
Obrien had this HUGE softop. It was - I don't know, over 2 inches thick and I remember it as soft top and bottom.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Orlando seems to have some strange building codes. :-)

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
Lost had a two story display, I'm guessing over 200 boards there. I loved the artwork on these. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-14-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
There were quite a few composite sandwich boards there. World Jungle Surfboards had these sweet looking boards out.

Upload
Old     (somebodyelse5)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-14-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
those lost boards are gnarly!
are they wakesurf specific? cause if they are i want it!
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-14-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
no, you can only buy the placebo for wakesurfing
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-14-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
Some great stuff. I didn't realize there were that many other wakesurf makers.
Old    lakeside5_10            09-15-2008, 5:03 AM Reply   
I also had fun at the show meeting Jeff with the family and all the folks at twp , shred stix, epic and so on it was really a great event . Jeff does need to leave his lam sneakers at home.
Old    surfdad            09-15-2008, 5:07 AM Reply   
LOL - Those are my favorite sneakers! C'mon you have to admit they have tons of soul (as opposed to sole). :-)

It was great to meet up with you too Mark. Keep in touch, my friend.
Old     (lsg)      Join Date: May 2008       09-15-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
The lost board is a ocean board but you can get a small one and ride it behind the boat. The model is the round nose fish quad.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-15-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
that board is not made for behind the boat ,its desighed for the ocean.you got to remember boards that are desighed for wake surfing are going to work the best,sure you could use it but its not going to work as good .the placebo is part of lost and is desighed for behind the boat,I ride stretch boards now and they make you feel like your surfing,even because your riding a man made wave,it still gives you the flow like an ocean wave.I grew up surfing for 25 years and when I ride the stretch behind the boat it doesnt throw me of when i surf in the ocean,when I ride other boards it kind of throws me of ,But if your josh sleigh,you can do it he surfs his placebo in everything
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-15-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
Surfdad- Great stuff, thanks for sharing...those buildings look like my 6th grade paper mache projects...interesting?...to each his own.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-15-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
BTW-I flunked 6th grade because of those paper mache projects
Old    surfdad            09-15-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
LOL - too funny. I can remember making some "structure" out of sugar cubes and while taking it to school deciding it would be a GOOD IDEA to eat a few of the cubes, enroute. For those not familar with this sort of choice: Not only does Elmers white glue that has dried NOT taste good with sugar, but you get marked down for gaping holes in your sugar cube buildings! TEACHERS! Go figure. :-)

That one upside down building is Wonder Works - they have all kinds of cool things for kids (of all ages). Flight simulators, earth quake simulators, roller coaster simulators. That area of Orlando is so family friendly, you could spend weeks doing Sea World, Disney, Wet 'n Wild, etc.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
Yo surfdad, doesn't James have some of his old shoes he can give you? We all can start up a fund for you if you need. LOL Those velcro lawnmowers shoes have got to go. Just kidding, love the pics, thanks!!
Old    surfdad            09-15-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
I love my shoes! AND I can scare small unruly children with them - see that stain right there little boy? Don't make me show you how that got there! (Evil laugh). I have so much resin on them that the velcro doesn't always stay attached. :-)

I can't believe you guys! Those are classic glasser/shaper shoes. They are almost part of my identity. What is that line from Napoleon Dynamite? Chicks dig a guy with skills and NOTHING says skills like resin and carbon bits encase shoes! :-)
Old     (jujube)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-15-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
Check out Tige's Surf Expo booth - sweet ride

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8177

Upload
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
Great response Surfdad, put a big smile on my face,considering I just found out my 18 year old son is in jail for next 24hrs.(misdemeanor charge of possesion) dang pot smokin kid!!! Hope he learned his lesson. I need to Surf!!!!
Old    surfdad            09-16-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
Oh man anthony that has to be the hardest part about parenting, watching when our kids make poor choices. I'm sure that the jail time will have an appropriate impact and he's learned a valuable lesson.

Hope you get to surf 'bro!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-17-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
Thanks surfdad, you dont know how much I appreciate the support ! thats why I like this forum, Surfers are sooo nice!! And yes I am going out today after work, cant wait!! been learning 3's with the rope, hopefully I can pull one out today, thanks again.
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-17-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
Thank you for all of the pictures :-)

We have been limited to dial up and haven't been able to load them all until tonight :-)

Any background on grind watersports? looks like an interesting design
Old    surfdad            09-17-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
Oh no! The dreaded dial up! I don't have anything more on Grind. The booth had all sorts of behind the boat "toys" tubes and the like. I don't believe any wakeboards, but they did have the three wakesurfers you see here. Also I remember seeing a waterproof iPod case.

Darin Shapiro was in the booth and he seemed to be selling the product, not just 'bro'ing out. I got the impression that this was his business. He also had this chick with a TON of cleavage and a skirt that looked like the size of a potholder...sheesh. eeerrrr, not that I was LOOKING or anything like that, mind you. Mark Sher was telling me about it. :-)

The boards looked like a polyu blank - pretty standard construction.
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-17-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
Yes, Ike caused some havoc on ohio with the winds.. some parts still have no power from sunday! however that did not stop us from surfing, whitecaps and all!
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-17-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
I see that you rode both Saturday and Sunday:-)
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-17-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
indeed i did :-) made up for not going to expo! haha
Old     (outlawsurfcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
Hey surfdad, What did you think of the paint jobs on the shredd stixx? The photos you took looked pretty good.
Old    surfdad            09-29-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
Is that your work outlaw?! I really liked the splatter paint on both the Hazen and Jerry's skimmer. My camera didn't show the Hazen model that well, but the fade from the tail forward is sweet.

How do you do that splatter effect without leaving lumps?
Old    lakeside5_10            09-30-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
who is going to the january show ??
Old     (outlawsurfcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-01-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
Yea, actually my wife did the skim board, I did the hazen. Hers turned out way better than mine did I think. As for the splatter, just practice, years of it.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-02-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
Darin and his sticks on video

http://thewakeplace.com/videos/EXPOGrind.html