Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    sladey99            05-06-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
I've been riding for a year and just jumped in last weekend for the first ride of '03. I'm trying to do as much boat research as humanly possible before making the inevitable purchase of a wakeboat. I've been to the boat shows and looked at all the big company sites but yet I'm still lost. From my research, I'm thinking Moomba is a great value, the malibu and Nautiques are better yet and the Mastercraft is king of the world. I'm just trying to stay around 30g's to start.Any horror stories or guidance I could get would be much appreciated.

(Message edited by sladey99 on May 06, 2003)
Old     (itrynwake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2003, 11:43 AM Reply   
not trying to start the inevitable, but why do you think mastercraft is king??
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2003, 11:47 AM Reply   
here's some guidance for ya:
you will not be "king of the world" with only $30 grand to spend........
Old    sladey99            05-06-2003, 11:53 AM Reply   
Not trying to be King on the wakeworld by any means but I think 30g's should get me a very competant Wakeboat with a great wake, features and style, granted it would be at least a few years old. Obviously everyone is partial to their brand of boat that's why I posted this message to get some feedback. }
Old    chris_hargis            05-06-2003, 12:04 PM Reply   
You can find a nice 2001 SAN (with good options)for about 36K right now, but the same price you can get into a new Moomba. However resale value is important to many and I can't vouch for the Moomba resale.

Now since I own a Procraft Fish and Ski, I claim no biases towards the big boats.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
Buy a used Nautique.........
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 12:19 PM Reply   
I too am a fan of MC. You should be able to find a nice used boat for 30k. Depending on you financing plans you might get a better interest rate on a new boat (just an idea). New will be more than 30k… how much more depends on brand.

A ‘comparison’ post will just get lots of “ my boat is best” stuff. Narrow your search criteria down a bit.

So are you looking for a direct drive or a v drive? Open or closed bow? With a tower or will you add one? Do you want a boat with ballast and stereo already added or will you do that over time?

Check some recent posts… been a lot of web links recently for used boat shopping. Did you look at the classifieds on this site?

All the brands have their strong points. Try to find a decent shop in your area if you won’t be doing your own maintenance.

Good luck finding a fun new toy.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-06-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
Look at my profile.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2003, 12:32 PM Reply   
ok, now that you've clarified yourself, there are plenty of (used) $30k wakeboard boats out there try these sites:

www.wakeworld.com (classifieds)
www.flipsell.com
www.traderonline.com
www.iboats.com
www.usedboats4sale.com
www.boatsexpress.com (transport services)

good luck and let us know what you find......
Old    sladey99            05-06-2003, 12:37 PM Reply   
Thanks to all for the feedback so far. I'm looking for a boat with a tower, ballast sys, & perfect pass. As for Direct vs. V Drive, not sure. Looks like I have more research to do.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-06-2003, 2:00 PM Reply   
You should easily be able to get about a 2000- 2001ish direct drive with the options you want for the 30k but you will probably have to go back to 1999-1998 for a v drive. my buddy just bought a malibu v drive 1999 for 28k they are out there. Definately get an used malibu,MC,SAN over getting a new moomba. two words......wake.....resale!!!
Old    abk22            05-06-2003, 2:18 PM Reply   
Go with a 2001 SAN you wont regret it ever, plus chances are you can get one with the ballasts and decent stereo too!
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-06-2003, 2:27 PM Reply   
You guy's kill me on your resale comments. Why not educate yourselves before you make false statements. I sold my no name boat with 213 hours on it for $700.00 less than I paid for it. Just look in the classifieds, there are a ton of SAN in there for sale. Ever wonder why.

STS there are lot's of boats out there. Test test test. Once you find what you like then search for the great deal.
Old     (oldboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-06-2003, 2:58 PM Reply   
I bought a used 98 Nautique Super Sport (v-drive) with GT-40, heater, 2002 Flight Control tower, PP (Wakeboard Pro), tandem trailer, etc.. with only 90 hours for about that (From a dealer). You might find one a little cheaper, but it's tough. This one was in pristine shape, and it has the same hull as the Super Air. I've loaded it down with my own ballast (so far about 1400 lbs) and it's awesome!

Look around and ask questions. Some people have boats and don't use them. There's probably one out there for you.
Old    wakelvr            05-06-2003, 3:16 PM Reply   
Get in and behind as many boats as you can. Try a Supra and Sanger as well. I feel for you. It's a tough choice. There are so many great boats out there. Congrats in advance to whatever great choice you make!
Old    samcdog            05-06-2003, 5:11 PM Reply   
If I only had 30 to spend I would definitely get a used SAN, MC or Malibu.
Old    hlboatsnboards            05-06-2003, 5:30 PM Reply   
Sam, not picking on you by no means, just wondering why you chose those three to buy?

Phaeton....I need more customers like you! You understand it!!

B
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 5:40 PM Reply   
Most people only understand the Nautique resells for more $$. Of course, it costs more to begin with. Not many people actually crunch the numbers and get the actual difference.
Old    chase            05-06-2003, 6:26 PM Reply   
These threads always seem to end up like this.

In my opinion, Ray made an incredible choice! He has the same wake, engine and quality that a SAN owner has at a much lower price. You can do the same thing with a Prostar 205V, same wake as an 02 X-STAR!

Just factor in the cost of a tower, PerfectPass and ballast (sacs or lead).

Test drive and ride behind anything that you like within your budget! For $30 grand, you can own an amazing wakeboard boat. Enjoy and good luck!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2003, 6:34 PM Reply   
Good point Nick!
Ended up saving about $12k on the new Tige over the SANTE. I wanted the Nautique but the wife wanted space for family and dogs and crap!

But out of spite, I did go buy a brand new top of the line, deluxe riding lawn mower with grass catcher and then let the salesman talk me into a good deal on matching 50's for the twin groms (with all that money she saved us) Needless to say, that REALLY pissed her off!

So no Nautique for me......

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 6:38 PM Reply   
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do!
Old    samcdog            05-06-2003, 7:14 PM Reply   
Boats n Boards.
Those are the three I chose because that is what I would consider top of the line wakeboard boats for my area. The new tige's are nice. From the pictures I see. There is no tige dealer close so they are out. Plus I think the new tige's are a lot better than the previous years and I don't think you get a new one for 30. They have made a lot of nice changes. Same goes for Calabria and MB. Nice boats but you won't see many in IL. The Supra's are nice, but coming from the same factory as Moomba's steered me away from them. The Moomba is nice boat for the money. You could blindfold me and put me in one the three I mentioned and a Moomba I would tell you which was the Moomba. I have heard good things about Sanger, but personally know nothing about them. I went with the SAN for the finish, performance, look (inside and out), dealer location, handling, and warranty to list a few. I don't care about storage. I don't have any kids and it is usually only 3-5 people who go with me (usually they don't even have gear). My fiance liked the SAN best too. Resale didn't really matter to me. I know I will have this boat for many years.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-06-2003, 7:26 PM Reply   
Sam
There is no such thing as top three wakeboard boats, except in sales. I would prefer my Ferrari over your Mustang any day. But of course that is my personnal opinion. I don't care for generic looking things.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 8:21 PM Reply   
OK, I was with Phaeton until the Ferrari/Mustang thing. Calabria is a good boat, but Ferrari?? I also don't really think there is anything that custom about the looks of the Calabria. Centurion and many others do the checker pattern and have for years. Personally, from the only Calabria I have been in, Ferrari would be the last thought that came to my mind. To each his own though.
Old    hlboatsnboards            05-06-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
ever notice the double stitching on the vinyl in a Calabria? That idea came from the same stitching used or previously used in a Porsche. Calabria is FAR from being in the top 3 selling manufactuers. However, the boat as a whole is in my opinion many steps above A LOT of other companies out there. I know a lot of consumers don't pay a lot of attention to the small stuff that catches my eye. But really get "into" a boat and you will see the difference with companies. I starting noticing when I began doing stereo installs. The price difference between companies REALLY shined through. Look at a boat trader or boats for sale flyer, see what the vast majority of boats that are forsale. Then look at the price of them, not many hold resale at all.

B
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-06-2003, 8:54 PM Reply   
Nick, the Cal-Airs are great handling boats. I'm not trying to put word's into Phaeton's mouth, but.... of all of the boats I have pulled riders behind, the Cal-Airs handle the best (ie,. Ferrari/Mustang)

Even heavily weighted, a Cal-Air DD still spins on a dime and planes quickly.

My $.02
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-06-2003, 8:57 PM Reply   
Nick the whole point is MC, CC and BU manufacter the most boats. For some reason people think that makes them the best boats. Chevrolet produces a hell of alot more Corvettes than a McClarren F-1. Is the Corvette better. Now I think you get my point.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2003, 9:19 PM Reply   
I like Phaeton.

B-
Old    hlboatsnboards            05-06-2003, 9:41 PM Reply   
Phaeton for President!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2003, 10:21 PM Reply   
I once had a mustang....
Old    sladey99            05-07-2003, 5:13 AM Reply   
Wow, Didn't expect that much input but I appreciate everyone taking the time to write. There are so many choices out there but I'm getting more narrow in my thinking. I like the room the V drive offers over the direct.
Let me ask this, I see a majority of used SAN's for sale. Should I consider that a good thing in terms of price negotiation, or a negative that all these people are getting out of them ???
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-07-2003, 7:07 AM Reply   
STS now that you have narrowed it down to a V-drive. Ask yourself these ?'s. What are you going to use the boat for. Do you need storage or not. How many people will be with you most of the time. How long will you be out on the lake. Dealer availability. It will help narrow down your choice again. Then shop around. Good deals are everywhere you just have to look for them. What ever you get take excellent care of it and you will be able to sell it for a good price no matter what. Good luck

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-07-2003, 7:25 AM Reply   
I have no problem with Calabria. If you would have said Calabria to Moomba as the comparisor instead on a SAN I would have been with you, but there is not that comparison between those two boats and I am not a Nautique fan at all.
Old    sladey99            05-07-2003, 10:26 AM Reply   
Nick, just curious, why not a fan of the Nautiques ?
Phaeton, I'm using the boat for Wakeboarding primarily, lounging/cruising occasionally.
probably 4-6 people most of the time, all day Sat/Sun on Lake.
I'm still curious about the # of used SAN's out there. Good or bad you think ?
Thanks again guys.
Old    chase            05-07-2003, 11:44 AM Reply   
Alot of the people selling their old SAN's may be doing so to purchase a newer model!?! I own a 2001 with about 125 hours and really enjoy it. I'm not one to say that it is the best boat, but for my tastes it is. Never had any problems and everyone loves the wake.

It's all a matter of personal tastes and preferances. Find some people in your area that own the boats you are considering and spend a day with them. I know, easier said than done, but it is the perfect test. Take a trip down to Orlando and I would be happy to take you!

Whatever you decide, take your time and find the best deal. They are out there!
Old    hlboatsnboards            05-07-2003, 12:45 PM Reply   
Just let me know what boat you want and I will bring one day whenever you say and you can give it a try....of course its a Calabria. I'm not to far from you and I need to run to Charlotte to see a couple people anyhow.

B
Old    rgillar            05-07-2003, 5:37 PM Reply   
STS, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE DEALER. If you do get a new boat, buy it from someone you like dealing with. It's not like a car, where u buy and off you go. IF you get along with the dealer, he will be there with advice, hookup's, and generally get you more involved in the sport.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-07-2003, 6:04 PM Reply   
STS,

I just have heard the hype way to long, "when you can afford it, but a CC". Everyone thinks they are the greatest things since sliced bread and that nothing ever goes wrong with them. I also don't like the ego that is common of the CC owner (not all, don't want to get that thread started again). I've driven about every make out there in tournaments and practice and CC is not better than 3-4 boat co's out there. I actually was at a tournament 2 weeks ago in Iowa where both of their '03 196's were broken down. Dealer had no idea what was wrong. Got to see a Malibu pull them both in though!!!
Old    chase            05-07-2003, 7:43 PM Reply   
No offense Nick, but the ego seems to be coming from you at this point. Yeah, some people are a little too proud of their boats but shouldn't they be after the money they spend? I'm not calling you out by any means but for some reason you seem to think that you should bad mouth a great boat. Just about everyone on here has told him to test drive every kind he can. What is wrong with that?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-07-2003, 11:20 PM Reply   
Chase,

Nothing is wrong with that. STS asked me why I wasn't a Nautique fan. I think they are a great boat, as good as any, but I personally wouldn't spend the extra money for one because I don't think they are any better than a couple others.
Old    chase            05-08-2003, 4:44 AM Reply   
Nick,
That's cool, your opinions are justified for the most part. I even agree with you a bit but the SAN is still a great boat, expensive, but great!

What kind of boat are you looking to purchase after you sell yours? By the way, that Lapoint looks killer!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-08-2003, 7:02 AM Reply   
Chase, your SAN looks killer as well. The color scheme is very classy.

Right now I like the '04 Response LXi's and I am a big fan of the ProStar 197's with the miniZeroFlex. The '04 LaPoint is going to be totally redone as well. Lots of options out there. I'm thinking VLX here in a couple years when I loose this need to swerve!