Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-22-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
"A new Mac record
Apple shipped 2,496,000 Macs during the June quarter, representing 41 percent unit growth and 43 percent revenue growth over the same period from a year ago. It was the fourth time in five quarters that Apple sold a record number of Macs. Previously, the bar was set during the first quarter of 2008 when Apple sold a little more than 2.3 million Macs.

Laptops continue to be a big driver for Apple, which sold more than 1.5 million portables during the June quarter. Oppenheimer cited strength across all three Apple laptops—the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air—though this was the first full quarter of sales for Apple’s ultra-portable Air.

Apple sold 943,000 desktops during the quarter, driven by changes to the iMac line. Apple updated the iMac in late April, adding faster Core 2 Duo processors to its all-in-one desktop.

Desktop sales grew 49 percent year-over-year; portables were up 37 percent year-over-year. Apple’s 41-percent growth in Mac shipments was nearly three times the industry standard, according to Oppenheimer.

In the U.S. channels tracked by market-research firm NPD Group, Apple’s computer market share increased to 19.5 percent this year from 15.4 percent last year. Apple also saw the best Mac quarter ever for education business, with unit growth of 25 percent year-over-year. There was also a new all-time high for quarterly Mac sales in the K-12 and higher education markets."

Apple is going to give away a free ipod with every mac sold to the K-12 students in a new promotion soon. Watch out Microsoft when all these kids and their Macs hit the business world. It was 2 or 3 years ago when someone told me the Mac was a toy and would never get past the 7 or 8% market share it had at the time, I advised them to buy Apple stock. It was at about $40 a share then and had just split.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-22-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
And on the flip side, every MacBook Pro with the Penryn chipset has a bad graphics card. Every single one. Nvidia has already lowered their projected profit margin because of the fact that they're gonna have to replace so many units.

That's not to mention that the bigger Apple gets, the more people are going to work to exploit their vulnerabilites.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-22-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
Ha..I guess a graphics card isn't as bad as an OS (cough Vista cough).

Eh...bigger exploits who cares. If you know how to run and maintain your computer this isn't an issue.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-22-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   

quote:

By MattG (pierce_bronkite) on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 2:48 pm:

Eh...bigger exploits who cares. If you know how to run and maintain your computer this isn't an issue.

works for me...and i'm not even on a mac.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-22-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
Scott,

What's wrong with with the Nvidia cards? Hadn't heard about that, I haven't had any issues with mine. Do you have a link or something I can check out?

Plenty of people have tried and are still trying to hack the Mac OS, we get security updates a couple time a month that automatically install. I'm not sure I trust the logic that says very few are trying just because it appears none are succeeding.

I just thought I'd liven things up a bit with that OP!Upload
Old     (coldlake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-23-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
Vista might just be the greatest gift to Apple, ever. My XP machines are enough of a headache. When I start replacing my home PCs on the next round, there will be a close look at Apple for the first time.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-23-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
Rich- I haven't had any issues with mine, either, but that's because I've only used it at work and home and other places where it wouldn't be a big deal if it broke down. I'm sure it'll crap on itself once I'm on a multi-day shoot out in the sticks when I absolutely need my computer!
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/07/inquirer_every_nvidia_graphics_card_with_g84_or_g8 6_chipset_is_ready_to_die-2.html

I read somewhere that Vista is comparable to Windows ME in the sense that it's just kind of a hold over until their next "real" OS is released. Not that MS has ever had a super solid OS, but Windows 7 is supposed to be a big improvement over Vista. Perhaps Apple knows this and that's why they started their unimaginative poo-slinging "I'm a Mac/PC" campaign to try and get consumers to switch now while PC users are frustrated over their sh*tty OS.

My two 5+ year old Dell desktops have been as solid on XP as my 6 month old Mac has been on OSX.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-23-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
I never keep these things past the warranty so hopefully if it won't go before then. Mine does run hot and the battery life sucks. There is supposed to be a major MBP upgrade in sept/oct so hopefully I wont have any issues before then.

I laugh at all of Apple's ads as well but like it or not their ads seem to be very effective. My daughter just finished an advertising class at UCSC and Apple was one of the companies they studied because Apple's ads have always been so effective, going back to that Ridley Scott super bowl commercial.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-23-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
Haven't had a issue with my card either (knock on wood), and i was working with RED 2K files as well for a month straight on location. But apple does frustrate me sometimes... O well.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-23-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
travis, do you get emails from wakeworld whenever an apple thread starts?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-23-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
It's a form of jungle telegraph Joe!

Travis, how do you like working with the Red system? I hear it shoots kind of like a RAW file and then you develop it in post?
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-24-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
Come on, i just cruise sometimes, i dont have to post something all the time haha...

Besides their are too many PC peps on here!

Rich - The Red camera is pretty sweet, the workflow is kind of a mouth full but for what your getting its worth it. Its not bad working with it if you know what type of work flow that you want to do. Its tricky because not everyone has it down yet.

But it is like basically shooting Raw, the image once you shoot is is kinda dark and the colors are muggy. After you bring it into Redcine and develop your look, its simply awesome!

Im for sure getting a Scarlet once they come out next year.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-24-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
yummmmmmmmmmm...scarlet....