Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2006, 4:21 PM Reply   
I was checking out these new Boston Acoustics sub's The first one was a SPG 555 with replacable voice coil's
Only 26 Lbs! it uses Neodymium magnet's
3¾ inches of peak-to-peak excursion
Available in 4-ohm and 2-ohm versions

Upload
Upload
Upload

The second Sub was the G5, This sub can be used with a boston acoustics "radiator" that they say will give you a extra 3 db
SPS™ (Soft Part System) removable assembly enables SVC/DVC swaps and field repairs

Upload
3-inches of peak-to-peak excursion
Compatible with GTR TunableRadiators™, for increased bass output without added enclosure volume
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
I was gonna get ahold of these subs next week and build a spec box and power them up and see what happen's. They say the G5 with a Radiator is suposed to out perform the W-7. But thats what everybody say's. It looks like a nice sub and it has got my intrest so Ill try it out and see what happen's
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-30-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
the oval shaped sub is an interesting design. Your gonna try both ? I doubt either will match a properly amp'd W7 but who knows...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
Im gonna try both Sub's sooner or later Im gonna come across somthing or a combo that sounds as good and
#1 Pouds Harder (more SPL)
#2 Uses less power
#3 Is more durable

Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
I always liked the old boston pro subs
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-30-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
what is with #3? are you blowing W7's?

A properly designed system IMO would not allow you to blow the sub no matter what. I.E. your gain structure would be such that you could turn your head unit all the way up with no consequence.

If you want louder/harder/more efficient all those can be attained by adding more speakers. More subs takes less power to get the same level, but obviously take more space.

Anyway, I like bostons, I have some of their older Pro 10's in a sealed box in my car.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
Tim: Yes I have blowen up a few W-7 sub's and yes you are correct. If your gains are adjusted corectley you should not be having problem's.
This is what I have found with w7's. Most sub's will let you know they are distorting or having problem's by playing distortion. My W-7's wont do that. The more power or (gain) you give them the louder they play. Most sub's the more gain or power the more distortion they tend to start playing. So it's a easy way to tune. You start turning them up till they dont sound that good and or you can hear them playing distortion and then you back it off. Like I said my W-7's dont wrk that way. So how do you know how much is to much? You have to keep a keen ear and listen if you can hear any type of funny/funky noise that might be a warning that somthing is wrong. Also when the sub is runnng in clip mode it will get hot around the ring. Harold has had the same tuning issue's with his 4 W-7's he smoked a few getting his system dial'd in. Now thats it's dialed in no problems. Its just that curve you have to get over. Or just set them real low and dont worry about it. We just adjusted my gain's a few weeks back and thats when we bumped up the gain a it to much and I bet thats the reason I blew a sub.

(Message edited by grant_west on May 30, 2006)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-30-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
Perhaps if you are pushing the subs to the brink, it might be worthwhile to get some diagnostics tools. I.E. measuring distortion, which may not be audible, or looking at back EMF characteristics when the speaker is reaching its limit. Also, there is always the possibility that the amp is saturating, and this might not be immediately audible, but would be obvious on a scope.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-31-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
I used to run a pair of ba pro 10's in a comp car. they were my favorite subs of all time. let us know how they turn out. I have yet to tackle the sub portion of my install and would love to go back to ba
Old     (deltaboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-31-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
My friend has 2 of those G5's in a little Bmw M coupe and riding with him is quite the experience. You know you have a lot of boom when he hairs on your head stand up.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-31-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
I hope that harold got his w7 warrentied, I could not imagine blowing up two 700 dollar subs during the tuning experience.
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-31-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
Kustom Kar has done a install in a Malibu VLX using the Boston SPG555's in ported enclosures from what I hear they rock .
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-01-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
Grant, i have a G5 new in the box if you are interested. I bought two and plain and simple do not need both... I am running a PPI480 bridged and one ten inch sub pounds my boat hard.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-01-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
TR: Im gonna test 12inc sub's and Im pretty sure I wont have to pay for it. If I like It Yes Ill have to pay for it but if it dosent work out then they will take it back. But it looks like if the test works out to be good you wont have any problem selling it.

Im gonna test the 4 Ohm and 2 Ohm sub's so 1000 watts and 2000 watts. With and with out the raidator
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-01-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Have ya all tested the Alumapro BP series subs yet?????
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-01-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
whats the price on them