Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (l7wakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-15-2005, 6:17 PM Reply   
I have a couple of questions about putting an XM unit in my boat. I have the SkyFi2 in my car and I was wondering if you really NEED to buy the marine kit ($200). I was thinking I could just buy another car kit ($60) and mount the antenna on top of the tower and wire it through the tower with the speakers I got up there. Also, the head unit I just picked up has the RCA inputs, so can I just plug the cradle right into the deck with an RCA-to-headphone jack cord? The fm modulator is ok, but the sound quality isn't the greatest. Anybody with any info to help me out would be great! Thanks in advance, I know there are quite a few stereo geniuses out there who know way more than I do!
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-15-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
Ryan, theres been a few threads about xm. Do a search and you'll find lots. My friend has had xm on his Malibu for quite a while. He just used the standard car cradle. Never any problems. I dont see the point of the marine unit unless its going to be on an ocean type boat thats around salt air a lot.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-15-2005, 11:20 PM Reply   
Just buy the mini rooftop antenna, silicone a steel fender washer to the top on top of the tower and the magnet should hold the antenna in place. The cig lighter power should work fine, just tie the audio in as you would do on a car.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-16-2005, 6:17 AM Reply   
Ryan, I have had XM in my boat for 2 years now, I just attached the universal Mag Mount Antenna to the top of my Tower. I have never had a problem with it. Works great.
Old    air_sv211            02-16-2005, 7:02 AM Reply   
I have the XM SkiFi on my boat. Just put the car cradle on and the small antenna. I have the antenna monted on the dash in front of the drivers pod and get great reception. It picks up thru the windshild and the bimini top with no problem.
Old    jdr            02-16-2005, 8:14 AM Reply   
I have XM SkiFi in my boat using the car kit. I have the antenna in the bow of the boat, under the fiberglass. It is "glued" into place between a piece of Dynamat & the fiberglass. No problems with the reception, unless somebody actually sits on top of it.
Old     (l7wakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-16-2005, 8:32 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice guys. For those of you with the SkyFi units, do you use the fm modulator or do you plug it into your deck? I am glad I don't have to buy that marine kit, it looked way too expensive for something not much different then the car kit.
Old    air_sv211            02-16-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
I plugged mine into the RCA in jacks on my XMD3.
Old    jdr            02-17-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
I use the FM modulator. It sucks!!! If you have the option to plug into RCA, or some other direct input use it. The fidelity in using the FM modulator leaves MUCH to be desired.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-17-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
You can get the marine antannaes on Ebay pretty cheap.. $40 or so. You get excellent reception wherever you go, but the small magnet ones are good too. I agree with the FM modulator.. plug it into an aux. input if you can.
Old     (pcm2a)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-17-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
I have that new MyFi and it works in my boat with the internal antenna and transmits via the FM modulator. I even put it in hte glove box!
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-27-2005, 4:04 PM Reply   
If you have the MyFi (or Skyfi 2~Roady 2) and are having interference problems w/ the internal FM modulator check this thread out, and follow the link to the external FM mod. They were raving about it. Bought one yesterday at CircCity, and am putting it my truck next week. Hope it sounds as good as the cass adapter on my last truck
http://www.xm411.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11327

Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-27-2005, 4:46 PM Reply   
Just go to Radio Shack and get the Monster cable that has an earphone plug on one end and two RCA's on the other and just hardwire it into the Aux plugs on the back of the head unit. Best sound quality possible.
Old    larson621            03-04-2005, 7:59 AM Reply   
I am just starting to look into XM radio. At this point I don't even have a radio in the boat. What's the best/easiest/cheapest way for me to get what I need to use XM in the boat as well as house & car? Is there something portable that could be moved between all of those (but be safe to take on the boat)?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-04-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
Roady 2, it uses generic plugs and a built in FM mod so it's easy and cheap to hook it up in multiple locations. The SkiFi 2 is better in one location because it has pause and rewind but it requires a docking station, they are unit specific and expensive. Whichever unit you decide, get the wireless remote, it's a must.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-04-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
FM modulators are cool if you have multiple boats hooked up together. We were watching the fireworks and all listening to the same music, which is pretty cool. Typical I plug mine into the aux in on my clarion. I also use the regular antenna and toss it up on the dash. It works a little better in a car, since it uses the metal in the car to help recieve the signal...not much help though.

Eric
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-08-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
the FM mod is awesome for when your in a cove chillin out and partying and you can get 2 or 3 other boats to tune to you FM Mod channel.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-08-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
I dont have XM but Sirius. My unit in my car is FM mod. My Supra has direct connect. There is a hudge sound quality difference - the direct connect is better. Good Luck