Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-23-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
Which do you think is harder to learn. I know that snow has park and mountain but in terms of overall. If this was ones first year doing both with equal riding time and all else being equal which would advance further? Are learning new tricks on snow easier, I would think so?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-23-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
I think snowboarding falls are more intimidating. Hucking that first 3 off of a giant kicker seems scary to me.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
For sure, water can hurt a lot but falling on ice or snow hurts a lot more
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-23-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
you have to be super motivated to snowbard. unlike wakeboarding where you take one quick set, your out on the mountian all day where the cold, wetness and aching of your a$$ and knees comes into play. if you wanna progress snowboarding, you have to be super amped, and look past the first couple days of falling all over the place untill you get a hang of it. you also have a constant phobia of catching an edge when your on snow.....

if your gonna try snowboarding and are looking into buying a board, id recomend getting one with Bannan Technology (reverse camber). when i rode one it felt more like i was on the water, and all of the controll of the board came from in between my feet, making it feel like i was on the water, rather than on the snow. burton, lib tech, k2, and neversummer make them.
Old    murrayair            10-23-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
I learned to wakeboard way before I ever tried snowboarding.It took me longer to learn the basics, like edging, on a snowboard probably because of the downhill slope. On a wakeboard, you only go as fast as the boat pulls you, where as your speed going down a hill on a snowboard increases rapidly, which was very intimidating for me. The slipperiness of a snowboard didn't help me either. As for learning how to jump and do tricks, wakeboarding was a little more challenging for me. There just seems to be more you have to worry about, like what kind of edge to take, standing tall, handle position, etc.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-23-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
To pick up and get riding wake is a ton easier. I think if you had a year of riding and rode the same # of days you'd get better at snow. It's kinda different because when you wakeboard its pretty much all about wake tricks whereas with snowboarding you can hit park/pipe or just freeride the hill. Snow is about being committed, you mess up you are gonna get thumped. As much as I love wake, there is nothing that compares to a full dumping powder day and the day after!!
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-23-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
I thought snowboarding was much easier than wakeboarding. You don't have to wait on the boat and can pretty much ride all day. I really think it depends on the person and their background.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-23-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
i found snowboarding easier but the falls hurt a lot more and you have to walk back up the hill after youre done so i found it harder to progress than on a wakeboard
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-23-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
agreed big heavy, there is nothing like powder! I'm so amped for this season on the snow!
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-23-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
I snowboarded before I wakeboarded and I think I learned snowboarding much faster. I learned how to carve heelside and toeside the first day and had 180s down pretty good my third or fourth day on the snow. As far as falls I didn't think the snowboarding falls were that bad cuz I was really into skateboarding at the time so I was comparing concrete to snow. It took me nine or ten times wakeboarding to clear the wake so I had trouble with wakeboarding at first.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-24-2008, 6:04 AM Reply   
i think learning snowboarding is easier just because there is much less time between when you fall and when you get going again...you don't have to wait for the boat to pick you up again...i think you pick it up faster because of that...
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-24-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
Last winter I learned 180s and indy grabs on my snowboard in about five minutes (not counting time to walk up the tiny hill), whereas I'm still having problems consistently sticking 180's on a wakeboard. The handle and overall control of wakeboarding makes it more difficult to progress, but easier to start vs. snowboarding.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-24-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
A kind of toss up to me which is easier to get learn the basics as each have their nuances, but I think once you start hitting the advanced stuff, wakeboarding takes less mojo. Being upside down and crashing on a wakeboard is not too bad, but I doubt I will ever try any big spins or inverts in the snow.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-24-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
Get a bannana tech board they are fn sick. I have a lib tech bannana board and i love it. But I have more balls snowboarding then I do wakeboarding. I dont know why but I do, I am WAY better at snow then wake. Im always afraid to eat shiat wakeboarding. I hit a lot of stuff on snow and throw a lot of stuff too
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
I ride a Rome Artifact which is a noodle and LOVE it! Rails on snow are easier because you can control your speed on approach but in general, snow is away harder than wake and taking your first boot of a kicker will give you a freaking heart attack. Downhill landings of a kicker are a b*tch to get used to as well. Wakeboarders tend to want to lean back of the kick rather than forward which is typically bad news on snow...broken tailbones and such.

Snow is way steezier though.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-25-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
well we don't have any real big hills here in southern wisconsin so since this will be my first year snowboarding I'll get to see which one. I know my snow loves snow and is much better at snow then wake.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-25-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
I think snowboarding is easier than wakeboarding except the falls you take learning new tricks on a snowboard wreck you a lot harder than on a wakeboard b/c on a wakeboard you can save yourself using the rope if you get thrown off balance in the air...you go off balance in the air on a snowboard there's a lot less chance of saving it
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-25-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
honestly i think the crashes on a snowboard are pretty bad but when you hit realy big kickers you are going super fast and landing going down hill fast so most of the time you just end up sliding..... dont get me wrong you deffinitly can get rocked(especially spining) but hey i have only been hurt bad wakeboarding once but snowboarding 3 times... so maybe that speaks for itself.