Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-07-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
Hey everybody! The last week of October, I will be going down to Orlando to visit Walt Disney World with my family, except this year is the first year I've been a wakeboarder, so I MUST hit up the OWC.

I will probably be going Friday the 26th or Monday the 29th, but I've never been to a cable parks and would like the following tips and more I did not think of:
-courtesy rules at the dock or while riding
-quick estimation of drive time from Disney to OWC
-I don't want to bring my board but could i use my own bindings?
-any tips while riding or getting of the dock the first time
-anything else I haven't thought of...

Thanks for any help!
ps. I just started this year and my skill level is like w2w and 180s/grabs so I'm not that great...
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-07-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
Which Disney resort are you staying? There are 4 resorts ranging from exists 63-67 ? off I4..... can't remember.... I just drive.
OWC - from I4 Sand Lake off ramp or 528 - Orange Blossom Trail exit ad get off on both to Landstreet.

Yes you can use your own bindings
Definitely bring your own vest. No restrictions on CGA v NonCGA
Cable is set up for goofyfooters.
That's all I can contribute for now.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-07-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
i'm at the one with the port orleans

the riverside, used to be called Dixie or something like that...

thanks Phantom, thats awesome, i'm goofy, and i wouldn't have brought a vest so thanks

i'm guessing i need the wetsuit i have, its the top half of the wetsuit

how cold will it be in florida this time of the year? water mostly
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-07-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
if your from anywhere but florida the OWC is going to be plenty warm. I was there last november just wearing shorts and was fine...although all the Florida natives were in sweat shirts and heater tops.

Also, you want to be there when the cables open. That will give you an hour or two of good water before the masses start coming.

Oh yeah one more thing..don't try new tricks at the far corner of the cable....it's a long walk back.

Bakes
Old     (brutto_76)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-07-2007, 9:41 AM Reply   
The free loaner boards are not so great but you can hire decent boards from the store on site but I don't think you can hit the sliders with them. Are you driving down or flying? If I was driving, I'd definitely want to take my own board.

Tell the guy running the cable that you can already wakeboard but you are a first timer at the cable and he'll give you tips on starting and getting round the corners.

Steer between the buoys on the corners and be ready for the big pull as the carrier takes up the slack.

You'll need a helmet if you are going to hit the kickers and sliders. You don't need a wetsuit.

You can get boat set too while you are there.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-07-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
You shouldn't need any wetsuit unless a cold snap hits. It's fine right now. You can rent a board but may not get any discount for using your own boots. I would use Mapquest to get driving time.

Getting the dock will be a breeze. Just sit down and let it take you off. Easier than a boat. You can also jump off the dock. No real courtesy rules. They usually form two lines. One for jumping off the dock and one for sitting down. It's not always evident and it looks like people are butting, but they aren't.

The trickiest part of the cable is the corners. They usually have two buoys on each corner that you go between. If you are about a couple feet from the outside buoy then the corner will be the smoothest.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-07-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
okay, thanks you guys

my dad is driving down for business and then we're flying up to meet him and stay

i'll probably put my wakestuff with him in the car when he leaves
-i definately want to hit the kickers and easy sliders

btw does anyone know the estimation drive time so i can tell my parents?

thanks so much for all your help!!!