Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (noel)      Join Date: Dec 2001       07-15-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
I've got a weird issue with both of the Sony XM-RM10 remotes in my 06 VLX. Neither remote will control the head unit, yet the LCDs on both units work and show CD track, radio station, etc. As far as I can tell, there is only one plug from the remotes to the head unit, which must be in since the LCDs are working. I've already reset the head unit several times, but no luck.

Anyone had this issue?
Old     (styk33)      Join Date: Aug 2004 Location: NorCal       07-15-2007, 10:26 PM Reply   
Sounds like one of your remotes is failed or failing. I have one on my transom and when it gets really wet it will cause the same thing. The only way to fix it immediately (so we can use it the rest of the day) is to unplug the flaky remote. Then turn off the unit and back on. Everything works fine then. Once my rear unit dries out, I can plug it in again and use it.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-16-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
Hey guys... I hav4 three of those remotes... The old 10's cannot be used in wet areas... the rubber internal fails and allows water into the remote... It was not recalled but if you talk to Sony.. they will say it had to redesign the the remote.. Hence the 55 was introduced... it works.. and mine is installed below the rub rail and is under water and splashed etc... no failure.

Dry your old 10's, test them... if they work.. find a dry place to install them.. and get a new 55 in the wet areas....

You need a big hole saw!!!! It mounts like a gauge now!

Good luck!
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-16-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
Noel,
There are 2 wires that go to the head unit from the remotes. One is a small 1/8" mini plug which is used to control the head unit. The other is the unilink control which is a thicker cable. Round on the end with about 4 or 5 connections. This makes the LCD on the remotes work.

Since the LCD's are working the unilink cable is connected. Find the 1/8" cable for the control and hook it back up to your headunit.

Since you have 2 controls there will be a "Y" cable connecting them to the head unit.

This should fix the problem.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-16-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
What David said... make sure the mini plugs are pushed in all the way on all connections. some 'Y' adapters need to have the insulation trimmed away when plugging into the back of the Head unit... i had to do this to make a friends unit work.

Make sure you use the correct adapter. the mini plugs come in mono and stereo versions (if my memory is correct).
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-16-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
If any of your remotes is water damaged... none of that stuff will work until they are dried out and working properly again.

When every you have problems with the remotes.. simply un-plug and plug in again.

But if it is water damaged.. go buy the new Sony Marine Remote.