Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-21-2005, 7:35 AM Reply   
I need some help!. We were quoted the following for a new 2005 malibu VLX are we getting a good deal or not. Any feedback would be appreciated. This is "Boat Show" pricing. We are in California I'm sure that matters.

2005 Malibu VLX/2005 21XTI
In addition to standard options

Monsson Engine
Depth Finder
Perfect Pass
Cleats
Fiberglass Platform
Bimini
2 Board Racks
Illusion Tower
tandem axle trailer
NO STEREO

VLX $48K plus tax, title and prep
XTI $44K plus tax, title and prep

Thanks

Old    zboomer            02-21-2005, 8:11 AM Reply   
Good price on the VLX, but I'd recommend adding the bow ballast option.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-21-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
Looks like a pretty good price on the VLX. Definately add the bow ballast.

What brand of trailer. That can make a difference in price also. I got the Extreme, with several upgrades, but they are pricey (and VERY nice).
Old     (romi)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-21-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
Extreme is a must. It has all closed tubing. I would go with the VLX before the XTI.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-21-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
That price will be up there pretty high after you add sales tax.

If you could get the boat set up like that, for 50K out the door, it would be a pretty good deal.

I tried to buy a similarly equipped VLX last year. I didn't have the Illusion tower or bimini, but I did select a solid hull and deck color, which is about $1600 extra.

I stood there checkbook in hand, and said, "Ok $47,500 out the door and we have a deal, otherwise I'm going to Ski World right now to buy an X2." They wouldn't budge from their mid-$49K price, so I left.

By the time I got to Ski World, the Malibu guys had called 3 times, each time lowering the price a little bit, until finally it hit $47,500. If they would have agreed to that price an hour earlier, I'd have a VLX right now. The games these guys try to play just blow my mind. I bought an X2 less than 2 hours after leaving the Malibu dealer.

Make sure you have them throw in a REAL boat cover. If you don't, they'll charge you $500 for one on the way out the door.

Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-21-2005, 11:19 AM Reply   
For cali that seems like a decent price. Get a retail list and if you can get between 10-15$ off you are getting a good deal. You want to check how many cleats. I have a friend who got a similar vlx, but with bow ballast, 6 speaker stereo w/amp, and cover but NO bimini for $49,800 plus tax and registration.

Also make sure they don't add on freight and find out what the prep is. Some dealers throw prep and freight in, others can add up to $3000 for it so you want to know that first.
Old    penny4urthots            02-24-2005, 2:47 AM Reply   
LETS ALL KEEP ONE MAJOR THING IN MIND... I seem to see quite a bit of "labeling" going on in regards to particular boats here lately. The important thing to realize is that MOST of the people writing and replying to these threads live in NorCal. Ok now consider who your MAIN dealers are in Nor Cal that would have been at the boatshow. Hmmmm Ski World, Cope (ultimate), and a couple other very small dealers for CC and Sanger etc. BUT as far as Malibu and MasterCraft the "BIG 2" dealers absolutely run the show. As a matter of fact they pretty much dominate the whole Nor Cal market... Now what does that mean?? It means that more often than not only 2 major "chain" dealers get to quote anything worth looking at the show. Can we say Monopoly?? Hmm I can. I have been watching people fall victim to their "used car" sales tactics and empty promises for years. I guess I have an issue with the system we as consumers are forced to deal with in NorCal @ any boatshow. There are MANY other choices in CA to buy your boat and MANY things to keep in mind. Just don't forget that if you walk into any of the "BIG BROTHER's" showrooms prepare to be mislead and handled as THEY see fit. They can and will sell you what THEY need to move trust me these are not amatuers that are staffed at these locations. Just don't pass on the thought of looking at a few other mid sized dealers that have service departments and full pro shops. I may be old skool but there are MUCH bigger arguements for how well you will be serviced when the C hit hits the fan in the middle of your summer vacation. How much is a ruined vacation worth?? Don't know?? You may unfortunately find out sooner than later if you close your eyes to the shop options you have. Fwew glad I didn't mention any names there, LOL.
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-24-2005, 9:09 AM Reply   
Sicne I started this topic I will let you know where we are at now. Everyone's postings have given me some good thoughts but the bottom line is that it comes down to the almighty dollar. After talking with the BU dealers again and pricing out a Vride as the VLX and XtI are out of my budget I have decided to look at a couple other manufacturers. I would like to say my experience with my local dealer has been less than satisfactory especially with the pricing for the Vride. For a price point boat they are very proud of it and don't seem too interested to negotiate. This has soured me on the whole boat buying experience. It's just as bad as buying a car. I'm in Sales and I understand they are doing there job but I'm not in CAR and/or Boat Sales and I don't operate this way. I need to understand what the customer wants and what I can or cannot provide to help them. This gets the job done. If they operated that way maybe they would of understood and saved themselves and me a lot of time.

What the sales people are up against is that I have a boat now, it's an I/O with a tower and a fairly decent stereo system and it has gotten the job done we a very happy with it. I know it's not a WAKE specific boat but I am not now nor will I ever be a professional wakeboarder. So what I am looking for is a wake specific boat that throws a decent wake has a little more room, doesn't break the bank and is as reliable as my current boat. In other words I don't need a boat I would like a new boat.

So if anyone has any feedback that is great if not thanks for the input so far.

I will be looking at other manufacturers and if anyone has any constructive input please feel free to share.

I read the boards often so I have heard some arguments for and against every manufacturer, but if someone would like to give their .02 let me have it.

Thanks Again
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-24-2005, 9:33 AM Reply   
Dareb;

Not trying to take you away from the Malibu because they are a very good boat. But as the screen name says I am a Sanger guy. I do sell boats as a side business and my shop is located in Antioch CA. I would love to show you some options in the Sanger, Supra, and Moomba lines. All three are less than a Malibu and are quality boats that you would be more than happy with in performance and wake. I am not sure where your located but if your somewhere near Antioch let me know and I can show you some options.
Old     (trump)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-24-2005, 10:16 PM Reply   
Dareb,

There is very little negotiating on boats. So don't take it personally. I tried to negotiate a price on a Centurion Cyclone a few years ago. I talked to the sales guy out in Corona and after test driving the boat I made him an offer. He said he would get back to me and I never heard form him again. I just moved on and found another boat I liked. If you really like Malibu boats, and the new ones are out of your budget, then maybe you can find a used one with low hours. It's just a suggestion. Good luck in your boat search.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-25-2005, 1:50 AM Reply   
Ditto on what Eric said. I have seen several slightly-used (low hours) Malibu's (and others) out there for a pretty good price. That may be another option you could look into. Don't give up on a Bu. They are a GREAT boat. The best as far as I am concerned! I might be a bit prejudice though!
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-27-2005, 9:51 AM Reply   
BU is a great ride, and last year when my wife and I were looking we originally wanted a Malibu. But when we began to look and talk with dealers we realized although it is a great boat they were more than we wanted to spend and could afford. We turned our attention to Moomba, Sanger, and Calabria. All of these boats were in the $25,000-$40,000 out the door. In the end we went with a Calabria, and we love it. We actually had a Moomba picked out, but we got much more boat for not much more money with a Calabria. My buddy has a Sanger and I have spent a lot of time behind it and love it. To sum up, dont be afraid to look at some other brands. Most importantly get all of these boats out on the water, and dont be stressed out by the process, ENJOY! Educate yourself, keep your needs in a boat constantly in mind, and your perfect boat will come along.

dg
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-27-2005, 9:54 AM Reply   
BU is a great ride, and last year when my wife and I were looking we originally wanted a Malibu. But when we began to look and talk with dealers we realized although it is a great boat they were more than we wanted to spend and could afford. We turned our attention to Moomba, Sanger, and Calabria. All of these boats were in the $25,000-$40,000 out the door. In the end we went with a Calabria, and we love it. We actually had a Moomba picked out, but we got much more boat for not much more money with a Calabria. My buddy has a Sanger and I have spent a lot of time behind it and love it. To sum up, dont be afraid to look at some other brands. Most importantly get all of these boats out on the water, and dont be stressed out by the process, ENJOY! Educate yourself, keep your needs in a boat constantly in mind, and your perfect boat will come along.

dg
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-28-2005, 7:22 AM Reply   
For those of you "dissing" on the "big brothers" remeber a few things so quickly forgotten. 1-they have both been around a LONG time(Copes is over 55 years). 2-They have both worked very hard to expand their businesses and work with good manufactures. 3-The market is open to anyone, but most fail to make any real money in this industry. That is not say they are perfect, but there are many things to consider when buying a boat and longevity is one of them!