Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       06-16-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
I've always been on lake hamilton, which is getting old now that I've got a real boat (not barge) to ride behind and work on my riding. I remember my dealer making a joke about how rough hamilton was from all the traffic, man i've noticed this year for sure so far, guess i just never noticed before since all we did last two seasons was cruise, tube, cove parties, and the occasional wakeboard run on my buddy's ski boat.

Last few weekends, we got a good amount of boarding and a little surfing in, but even at 8am/7pm there's idiots all over hamilton zig zagging across our wake on jetskis, following us in our wake while we're pulling riders, it's just kinda ridiculous and is starting to get on my nerves. Can't get a cove to ourselves on hamilton and the main channel is a joke unless you and the boat want to get airborne from all the cross-traffic chop.

So I'm asking the arky boys, where do i go? Only other lake i've ever been on in AR is greers, but I store my boat just south of lake hamilton, so i'm thinking a quick zip down hwy 7 to lake degray may be my best bet for some calmer waters. I know degray prob gets just as busy on most nice days too, but looks like it's a WAY bigger lake with more long coves and pockets. So anyone here who rides at degray? where's the best spot to launch? something with parking RIGHT THERE by the ramp and off of hwy 7. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       06-16-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
bull's shoals or table rock have been money when i go to AR
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       06-16-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
Yeah i've heard BS is great, but is WAY up in northern AR. My closest lakes in order are, hamilton, catherine, degray, ouachita.
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-16-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
Starting June 20th I will be on Lake Hamilton for the whole week. If there are any local guys hit me up and I will give you a pull. Show me the secret spots.
britt.hogland@yahoo.com
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-16-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
last night, bull shoals. but conditions weren't great.

there was no other boats around, to admire us, for the majority of time we were there ... and I'm sure because it was so calm you could see and hear for miles.. oh except for three twenty somethings in an 18 foot I/O and with a single Murray board between them. to avoid conflict, we just boarded them onto my boat and all rode behind the one boat.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       06-16-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
britt, the spot on hamilton i like best is over on the carpenter dam side of the lake, on the northernmost part of the lake, directly north of 'skinny dip cove' aka garvan gardens. It stays pretty secluded even on some of the busiest days, but occasionally you'll get some rollers from the main part of the lake coming in. Heres a map snip...

Upload
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Thanks lance I think we are staying at sun set bay or something like that. doesnt look like too far of a boat ride. If you see a black and white older super air come say hi.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       06-17-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
Yep the sunbay is close, you'll be right across kahuna bay from me, if you look at that map it's right where hwy 7 gets to the lake.

I'll be at degray all day on the 20th but will prob put in on hamilton on sunday the 21st. If I see ya and you're not busy I'll come over and say hey for a min. You'll know it's me from a mile away, my boat is LIME GREEN and BLACK
Old     (rmdanie)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-17-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
I take the supra to Hamilton for party weekends. We try to ride in the mornings in the back of the little Mazarn. We used to be able to get some sets in rock creek on the way back from the sandbar. Of course, after being at the sandbar for the afternoon, rollers don't effectyour riding much :-)

I have a sweet hole in deQueen where I live. I nearly always have the lake to myself with LONG runs for boarding. Sometimes me and the boys go in the morning before work and you can see your reflection perfectly while you are riding.

And I have boarded in that cove you circled. You are probably hitting our rollers. We get to drunk to walk right so we get the surf board out and surf around that little island by skinny dip.

Best of luck.

Ryan
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       06-17-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
yeah the long cove by the sandbar would be great if it wasn't so shallow. The cove behind the marlin house cove is deeper tho, less traffic too, with a sandbar still closeby to relax at after getting worn out. I usually try to stay on the carpenter dam side of the lake tho, my boat seems to make a cleaner wake when it's in deeper water.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       06-17-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Oh and Britt, yeah we're doing degray on sat to check it out since i've not been yet, but will be back on hamilton sun, mon, and tues. My place is on the smaller island where hwy 7 crosses the lake on the map above, right across the bay from ya. so i'm sure we'll bump into each other one of those days.
Old     (gabbard)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-19-2009, 2:35 PM Reply   
Greers is good on the Choctaw end just East of Clinton, I ride there when I'm not on my home lake which is Beaver. There's a bunch of boys that are pretty cool in a blk VLX if you make it up there.
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-19-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
Lance we stayed on Degray 3 years ago. I liked it because no other wakeboats on the lake. Just fisherman. Brandon, Greers was 2 years ago. That was the most fun we had on and off the water. Meet some Shirley girls and they partied. I though my dad and his friend were going to have a heart attack. As you can see we like Arkasas lakes.
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-19-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
Arkansas
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       06-20-2009, 11:04 PM Reply   
Britt, went to degray today and it was unreal cool. Lots of cool people, met some folks involved with INT League, got some tips from a pro, and got dragged around for a bit behind Supra (literally) - Don't think I didn't love every second of it tho - and on top of all that, at noon, degray looked like GLASS. Never seen ANYTHING like that at noon on ANY day on hamilton lol. I'll be on Hamilton tomorrow tho, I'll say hey if i see ya.
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-21-2009, 5:17 AM Reply   
How is Beaver Lake, Been there 1 time. Went to the MC shop and over to the lake but that has been years ago
Old     (gabbard)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-21-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
Beaver isn't bad it's pretty good if you know the lake, or take a map with you so you can find the long deep coves. We run up into hogscald a lot it stays pretty smooth up in there. But there are a lot of coves you can hit from Prairie creek on up towards the dam.
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2009, 8:23 PM Reply   
hey lance! glad to see you out there this weekend, you def need to come out there more often
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-21-2009, 11:24 PM Reply   
I'd ride on beaver lake! The park rangers and officers are SOOOOO NICE! They actually helped save me from myself by giving me a $205 dollar ticket for having a non-cga vest 50ft after I got up for my first set Saturday!
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       06-22-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
Hey Clay! -Yeah I will be down there from now on I think, went back to hamilton on sunday and it reminded me of how terrible the water was. Think I'm only gonna put in on hamilton on holidays from now on and go to degray otherwise. I'm looking for a place to keep my boat closer to degray as we speak, fell in love with the water down there for sure. Hey and thanks for all your help man, think the prob was I just psyched myself out real bad But I have all summer to work on it so trust me, I'll be working on it. Got a long way to go, but plenty of time to do it.
Old     (wakeboardingzach)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-22-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
On The Pull on Fuel tv Shawn Murray took the Fox crew to bull shoals lake in Arkansas. It looked like a nice lake, and its the lake Shawn grew up on.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       06-22-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
We got a crew that rides down SE arkansas in alot of the lakes and rivers round there..
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       06-22-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
Saw that one, was like a private road trip for murray and his closest buds. Some great shots too, like when they were jumping over that low tree branch , that was sweet. Will have to check out BS one day, heard nothing but good about it.
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-23-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
degray is very nice! i go there alot! It gets pretty busy at times but you can always find a cove somewhere.. also broken bow lake in oklahoma is very very nice, lots of big coves..
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-23-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
oh i also ride alot at lake greson or narrows as its commonly called.. but it also gets pretty busy like hamilton though..