Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-26-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
hey everyone, i am in the process of looking for a new board and need i alot of help. i have no chance of demo'ing any boards so this forum is all i have. i currently ride an 04 absolute platinum 134, i am 5'6"ish 165lbs. i feel like this board is getting too small, the landings are a little rough so a bigger board is a must.

what im looking for in a board: i really like the way my absolute rides, quick into the wake, good predictable pop that launches me 5+ feet into the flats, but the landings are getting harder like i mentioned before (i weight alot more now then when i started riding it) and i want a board with really soft landings. BTW i ride it finless and love the feel.

the boards i am currently looking at: marius 140 (or should i go with the smaller one since its so wide) and the lf ps3 141 or 137 (dont really know which one is better for me) so if anyone could help me with compairing these boards to the 04 absolute i would really appreciate it. i am not brand loyal and im open to any suggestions but please explain why board A is better than board B
Old    natxbrotha            09-26-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
IMHO, you definitely dont need a new board until that absolute breaks... 5'6" 165lbs is fine for a 134... hell if 200lb people can ride a 13o (forget the exact sizes) LF fish, then you can definitely ride the absolute. i've noticed cwb board dont go flat, they just break.

good luck in whatever you decide though.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-26-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   
I am trying to make the same decision you are. I have ridden both the Marius 140 and the PS3 137(running a shop helps when demoing). I am coming from a 2004 Substance 138 finless (very similar to an absoulte). I weigh 175 or so and about 5'11. The Marius lands SUPER soft. The PS3 landed very soft also though. I did find a more consistant pop with the PS3 but I also found that the PS3 finless gripped more than the Marius. The Marius is pretty loose when finless, I might actually ride it with just the front fin to help witih switch cutting. I think if I had to make a decision today I would choose the Marius 140 but I sure would love to demo the PS3 141 some time.

(Message edited by Jon A on September 26, 2005)
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-26-2005, 5:08 PM Reply   
cody- thats what i was planning on doing in the first place but the landings isnt the only reason i want a new board, i want to ride something different for a change
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-26-2005, 5:09 PM Reply   
jon- how much speed difference was their between the marius and the ps3, i would assume the ps3 to be fast but how much faster?
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-26-2005, 6:03 PM Reply   
The PS3 was very fast, probably the fastest i've ridden. I really liked it. The Marius felt like a fast board to me as well, about like my substance. It might depend on what speed you ride at to what you might like. If you ride 22 or higher, the Marius shouldn't feel slower to you.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
jon, you're the first person that i've heard say that the substance is fast.
Old     (seedickride)      Join Date: Jan 2001       09-26-2005, 7:13 PM Reply   
I can't give a comparison to the Marius, but the PS3 137 seemed too small for me (6'2" 195lbs). The landings seemed too hard. I'm anxious to try the 141 to see if it lands softer for me. Other than the landings, I really liked it without the center fins (I didn't try it with them). I actually had one of my best runs of the summer on the PS3, but still like the Fish 133 better (unless the water is choppy).

Mike Dick
See Dick Ride Wakeboards
www.seedickride.com
(701)682-5515
mike@seedickride.com
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-26-2005, 7:25 PM Reply   
Greg,

I also ride a finless 04 Absolute (and an 04 Parks). I absolutely love the Absolute, even more after taking the fins off a couple months ago. Tomorrow I am picking up a 140 Marius. I demo'd one a few weeks ago, and really liked it, but the bindings were way too small for me, so I was a bit distracted with my feet going numb. I do remember that it really was a whole different type of board than what I was use to, but it was GREAT! Great edge, great pop, and super-soft landings. Heck, with one short test ride, I was convinced. Once I get in a couple runs with my bindings this Thurs, I will let you know what I think. I can tell you already that it will be positive though.

BTW - I am 5'10" 175.

My 04 Parks is a 138

Absolute is a 141

The Marius I rode was a 140, and felt just right.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-26-2005, 7:31 PM Reply   
jon, buzz- thanks for the great input. buzz, was the marius just as fast as the 04 absolute?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-26-2005, 7:45 PM Reply   
Greg, As far as I could tell, pretty close. Like I said, my feet were killing me so I was not really thinking enough about it. I did feel pretty fast though. When you look at the board, it looks kinda fat or squatty, kinda squared off. Makes it look like it may be a slug. Not like that at all. I have been on quite a few boards. I would say IMO that it mostly compares with my Ab as far as speed. Definately not a slug by any means. I will give it a much better test Thurs and have better info.
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-26-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
Greg- I ride the 134 Marius. I am 6'0" 168lbs. Its a little faster than the 140. You would have no problems riding it.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-26-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
i had the best day of the year on the choppiest water riding the PS3....its such a smooth board...
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-27-2005, 1:02 PM Reply   
keep the input coming!
another question for buzz, how was the pop compaired to the absolute, cause the marius is 3" continuous while the absolute is 2.5" 3 stage. i like the pop of the three stage over a continuous, but is the rocker on the marius big enough to kick you up like a 3 stage?
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-27-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   
Buzz, be sure to let us know what you think about the Marius after riding this Thursday. I'm looking to buy a new board as soon as this Friday , and the Marius is at the top of a short list. Much obliged!
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-27-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
I think that riding a bigger board is always better, And i think a 134 is too small. The Marius is really a great board it is fairly fast with smooth landing and rides very well in the chop. If you likke the absolute, which i use to ride then you will probably like the Transcend that is waht im riding the 2006 platinum one and i love it it is very forgiving. But between the two boards you mentioned i would go with the Marius
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-28-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
anyone else?
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-28-2005, 11:19 AM Reply   
If you wait a few weeks, I'll sell ya my used Marius 140 that is in new condition and will save ya a few bucks from new.
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-28-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
I'm curious, Justin. Why are you selling it?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-28-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
Marius Its the sickest board you can buy, I do think the 140 has more pop than the 134 and all the customers that demoed the board think the 140 has more pop as well.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-28-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
Don't get me wrong, this board is great. It has great pop and really soft landings. I just prefer something a little shorter and not quite as wide at the tip and tail. I can't seem to get over how wide this thing is. It doesn't ride any different than a normal 140 board, it's just alot different looking down and see that huge thing on your feet. I guess it's just a feel thing for me. I live in Indiana, so we only have a couple more weeks of riding left. I will be trying to sell it once the season is over.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-28-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
Justin IMO it rides alot different than a normal 140 board, the board is nothin like any other board it has alot more pop with the extra width alot softer landings with the dual spines, and it will cut as fast as you want it to, but I saw a Trancend 142 on youre tower that board also has hudge pop and pretty soft landings as well. But it rides alot different than a Trancend or any other board for that matter
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-28-2005, 1:09 PM Reply   
Yeah, I guess I kind of said that wrong. What I meant is that when doing inverts or just cutting around, etc., it doesn't feel like you have a huge board on your feet. But looking at it, it looks like you're riding a sheet of plywood. I didn't really feel like the pop was a whole lot different than others, but it definitely lands softer than most boards. It's just one of those things that you have to try to know if you like it or not.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-28-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
Agreed, It does feel different with the added width, but if you put a little time on it, and then go back to a board with less width then that board feels weird but it all comes down to each person and what they like so demo the boards before you buy. Later Justin
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       09-28-2005, 1:27 PM Reply   
I have a 140 marius for sale. Ridin' 10 times in perfect condition. I will sell for $250 plus shipping. kiehls@earthlink.net