Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-13-2010, 6:04 PM Reply   
I know there are some mechanic/car savvy people on here, and I know some WW'ers own bmw's, from them being mentioned on the forums. I don't know if anyone would know the answer, but i've been researching and cannot for the life of me figure it out. Posted it on a bmw forum too with no response.

While changing the oil, I noticed a spare wire harness hanging by the headlights. It goes right into the housing by the hi-beam bulb. I also noticed the brand on the headlights is DEPO. Isn't that an aftermarket brand? I bought the car a month ago, and the guy said nothing about aftermarket headlights, but it does have HIDs.

1. Do these headlights have angel eyes?
2. Is this spare harness in fact for the angel eyes?
3. If it is, how do I go about connecting that harness?

Thanks to anyone that might know.
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-13-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
What year is that and the model? It looks like a 3 series. I know that the 5 series offered angel eyes in the early/mid 2000's so if you have one of those I'd say you're on the right track. It does look as those lights have integrated angel eyes. Evan works on these so I'm sure he'll chime in.
Old     (kwipp)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-13-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
Yes Depo is aftermarket
Yes those are angel eyes you can see them in the pic
That is probablly how you hook them up personally I wouldnt though.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-13-2010, 8:17 PM Reply   
Hatepain, It's a 2000 3-series. Thats what I'm starting to see now that I look into aftermarkets that other people have bought, and you're right they're "integrated angel eyes". I can see why the previous owner never hooked them up, if they're the same model as others have, its the amber colored lights for the angel eyes, not the blue-ish HID color. No thanks.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-14-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
Those are aftermarket headlights. E46 3's didn't come with angel eyes. A lot of people felt the need to add them on for some reason. That is definitely not a factory plug. I would guess that it is, in fact, for the angel eyes. I guess I could ask: do they work? I would imagine no.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-14-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
Oh.... FYI, all the angel eyes (factory) use a halogen bulb and a fibre optic ring for the angel eyes. They are purposely a different color from the Xenon or white halogen bulbs. It makes them stand out. Whether you like it or not, it's up to you. I really liked it on the E39 5 series. Very distinctive when you see one coming up behind you at night.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-14-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Those are aftermarket headlights. E46 3's didn't come with angel eyes. A lot of people felt the need to add them on for some reason. That is definitely not a factory plug. I would guess that it is, in fact, for the angel eyes. I guess I could ask: do they work? I would imagine no.
Yeah the plug is kinda odd shaped, it's the shape you see, and the prongs inside look like wall outlet prongs. they're set perpendicular, like a "T", but with space between them. To answer your question, I have no idea if they work, there's no wiring to plug them into to test out. It's just what you see in the picture. How would you say I should go about hooking them up, to see what they look like/what color they are? I've installed subs and speakers for people before is it the same process as splicing speaker wires for the subs? splice onto existing power, such as the parking lamp circuit? or no?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-14-2010, 3:52 PM Reply   
Honestly Ben, if it isn't hooked up right now, I probably wouldn't mess with it. BMW's light control module works off a resistance based system. If you add an additional bulb you'll end up with false "light-out" indicators coming up in the dash. I've seen plenty of these conversions on those cars, but IMO it's not worth it.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-14-2010, 5:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Honestly Ben, if it isn't hooked up right now, I probably wouldn't mess with it. BMW's light control module works off a resistance based system. If you add an additional bulb you'll end up with false "light-out" indicators coming up in the dash. I've seen plenty of these conversions on those cars, but IMO it's not worth it.
Didn't know that, yeah I won't mess with it then. Not a big enough concern to me. Thanks guys for the help