Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    grant_davis            09-14-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
They both help progress the sport with their tips and awsome articals. Plus Alliance's show on Fule (pull) but I was wondering which mag. yall prefer.
Old    sking55405            09-14-2005, 6:39 PM Reply   
WBM definately. my 2 cents
Old    murrayair            09-14-2005, 7:05 PM Reply   
Both are great mags, but it seems to me that Alliance's are a little more light-hearted and funny than WBM's. I like WBM's interviews a little better, though. I subscribe to both and think they are both awesome.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-14-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
I'm gonna have to say Alliance all the way. I heard everyone say, "WBM sucks man" I still supported it; however, after the last issue and reading Barret Perlman's article, I lost all respect for that magazine. I couldn't believe that they would publish garbage like that.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-14-2005, 8:03 PM Reply   
Why didn't you like Barretts article? Thanks for not bashing me too Thane.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-14-2005, 8:16 PM Reply   
Things mentioned in the article covering collegiate wakeboarding: cutting class to go wakeboarding, cutting a class and missing the final then calling your teacher while your at the lake and lying to him telling him you got in a car accident to get an extension, the word 'friggin'. I could go on.
Old    dyonisus            09-15-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
I have not read that article, but I think what you are bashing is more the content of one article and not the quality of an entire magazine. Certainly there are people who would not support that type of behavior, but then again there are people who would support worse.

Personally, I know tonnes of College goers who have skipped classes for worse reasons then competing in a Wakeboard competition or practicing on the lake. I am not saying I condone it but just my 2 cents.

I have never read an issue of Alliance, but I would like to. I guess then I prefer WBM!
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-15-2005, 8:09 AM Reply   
I would have to go with WBM, i just wish that every other page wasnt advertisements
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-15-2005, 9:08 AM Reply   
I would go with Alliance all the way. WBM has very little content and a ton of advertising. Alliance also hooks up my friends and runs their pics. The photo editor (I think that is Cortese's title now) shoots a lot with the West Coast Camps crew and has run shots of Schwenne, Buck, The Rod and my buddy Daniel Doud. Plus Garrett is a nice guy. Take care of those that take care of you, I say.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-15-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
I love alliance. It think they're funny and simply put, I enjoy the content in their magazines (interviews, travel articles, etc.) I also have a huge amount of respect for that staff that run/work on the mag. So three cheers for alliance, yall's..
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-15-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
I've got a subsciption to both, but love when those big glossy Alliance's show up at the door. I just like the feel of Alliance better and love the pics. Plus, I like the westcoast love they show. Wakeboarding is a lot bigger than just florida and I think Alliance represents it well.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-15-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
That article was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. That's all I was saying. I couldn't believe that someone would write a to-be published article, practically bragging about skipping class and lying to their teacher for wakeboarding's sake. "hey everyone, come see how dedicated I am!"

I think it was pretty tasteless.
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-15-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
I have to give Chase and the boys my vote for variety entertainment. Alliance has more lifestyle type stuff and WBM is more straight forward. WBM focuses too much on the Hyperlite team. I love to watch all of them but there are others out there that kill it and don't get the ink.... It seems a bit clickie in O-town when it comes to coverage.

BEEF OF THE YEAR.... WBM.. "Josh Sanders is quietly leading the pro tour" you gotta be kidding me. He has kicked everyones a** all year in contests. If Parks trips and fall on his way out of the bar it gets a full page article. Nothing aginst you Parks you rock but come on...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
I like Alliance better for most of the reasons listed above, Another thing Alliance seems to have more of is highlights on more of the off the wall acceories. Example I saw things like the Wakeman MP-3 player in Alliance way before WBM and other smaller companys that cant afford to advertise in WBM,
Old    grant_davis            09-15-2005, 7:12 PM Reply   
Basicaly it could be summed up that WBM focuses alot on O-Town and their crew. Alliance focuses on Cali a little more and less published Riders? I subcribe to both but i havent goten an Aliance yet . It was cool to hear what yall said tho and how different parts of the US view the two mags. Thanks
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-15-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
WAKEBOARDING MAGAZINE ALL THE FREAKIN WAY!!!!!
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-15-2005, 9:17 PM Reply   
WBM there higher learning sec. is awesome, and their interviews are cool too.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-16-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
Yea, I'm a big fan of the Higher Learning section of WBM. I gotta go with them.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-17-2005, 7:14 PM Reply   
In defense of Barret (sp), overall, I think she did a nice job with that article. You have to consider that she, too, is a college student, and is catering to a similar demographic (who may or may not share her taste in jokes). All in all, there's a system of checks and balances, and her joke made it past the editors, so it's not all her fault.

Personally, i don't think the joke is all that funny, but I make tons of crappy jokes. You'll never make everyone happy. In the end, it's not a reason I'd use to stop reading the mag--I'll always read it...it wouldn't matter how good or bad it was. I've been reading it since I was 15, so I really can't stop.

anyway, yeah. that's just my take on it. I can totally see where you're coming from, though. There were many beefs I've had with that mag in the past.

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-17-2005, 11:53 PM Reply   
Points well taken Chef. If I went into a shop and the mag was sitting on the counter I would pick it up and leaf through it, but I'll never buy it.

One, if not the only, credible thing that can be taken from that mag lately is the Higher Learning section.
Old    penny4urthots            09-20-2005, 1:01 AM Reply   
My WBM subscription of around 8 or 9 years has almost ran out , and I am seriously considering letting it...

I will definetly always have respect for what WBM has done for the sport, but anymore it feels like I am stuck reading "Sports Illustrated" at my doctor's office. To me Alliance has pretty much stuck with what works for me. I like their photos, varied writing styles and their, "Hahaha let's try this out" article philosophy. Alliance has a better grip on what actual riders want to see.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-20-2005, 4:44 AM Reply   
I totally understand, thane. You've gotta do what you've gotta do, and I can only respect that.