Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (mads0113)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
I am looking at getting a boat and I really like the vtx. I have ridden in the vlx but have never gotten a chance to demo the vtx. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insights to the boat (wake, handling, pros/cons) before I take the time to possibly demo one.
Old     (brd4fun)      Join Date: May 2002       07-09-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
Bryan,

We had an opportunity to board behind Corrie Dyer's VTX it was great.
We had a boat load of people, MLS plus power wedge at half (Power wedge is a must) the wake was great.
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-09-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
I demo'd it. It's a nice boat, good wake, good surf wake too if you add some weight. Kinda expensive for a 20ft boat.
Old     (jamieb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-09-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
I own it and I love it. The wake is great and when you are just messin around the boat handles like a sportscar. I have the 340, its worth the money.

As far as cons go, the only ones I can think of are aesthetic. I don;t really like the chrome window bars, but they dont bother me that much. Sometimes I think that the bow looks a little too small.

Other than that, its an awesome boat. I surf and ride behind it and I have no complaints. I wish I had gotten the bow ballast, but I bought it off the lot.
Old     (river_rat)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-09-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
own one also. Love the wake and handling! Surfed fore almost a mile this weekend with 3 people in the boat with the center and 1 side balist full with the wedge down. Wish I would have gotten the front balist also as the boat rides bow high when weighted.
Old     (wade2062)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-10-2007, 5:11 AM Reply   
I have one as well. I agree with the others get the bow ballast. Also the mirror set up it is a little bothersome. Malibu went with a frame less wind shield on the vtx, and I have to move my mirror every time I open the window. Other than that, sick sick boat in my opinion. Great wake surfing or boarding, drives very nice, and I have found that the stainless window vents dont allow any air into the cabin. I also think that the power wedge is a must as well. get the 340 and probably upgrade your prop to an acme 1235 and you will have one sweet boat. I also like it, because being so new not many people have one!!! good luck on your decision. here is our boat.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
I got one and i love it. The boat has a ton of space for a 20 footer. with it being a smaller boat it doesn't take much to sink which helps with gas. with stock mls the wake is really pretty nice.
Old     (trentster)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
I sold my 2007 Wakesetter VLX, and have been using a 2007 Wakesetter VTX until my 2008 VLX comes in. It has all four tanks like my VLX, but is on the diamond hull instead of the wake hull. I was really surprised, but the wake is good with some weight. I'd like to see what a VTX with the wake hull is like.

Wade- dude put your mirror on the driver's window, not the center window! I think you will find that it works better!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-10-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
The center window is tapped and threaded for that mirror, should he drill and tap the drivers side, then have it in his way all the time?
Old     (trentster)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
Mine just clamps onto the window frame. The mirrors for the new windshield are different than the traditional.

(Message edited by Trentster on July 10, 2007)
Old     (trentster)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
oops double post

(Message edited by Trentster on July 10, 2007)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-10-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
Oops my bad, thought it was like the 06's where the mirror screwed into the frame. New windshield, do you mean the vented one?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-10-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
I believe it was Power Boat Mag boat of the year. My boss just bought one with the stroker motor in it. They got towed in the first day they put in the water. Hose blew of the muffler...
Old     (wade2062)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-11-2007, 5:37 AM Reply   
Trent, I will try that today thanks.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-11-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
I reviewed one awhile back. I really like the VTX.

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2007/05/a_malibu_wakesetter_vtx_found.html
Old     (mads0113)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input everyone. The optional bow ballast and power wedge seem like a must.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-11-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
Bow ballast definitely is but so is a willingness to add your own. I'm of the opinion that the stock ballast is not sufficient - even with the bow ballast option. The manual wedge is fine. Once it is weighted heavily you likely won't want to even use it.
Old     (edandgem)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-11-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
Just picked up my VTX saturday and the Boat rides great. With three people and Standard Ballast with wedge the wake is Great. I am very happy with mine.

Upload
Old     (stef)      Join Date: May 2002       07-11-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
did someone slalom behind that boat, especialy with the diamond hull?
Old     (trentster)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2007, 12:41 AM Reply   
Yes, it's pretty flat! We even ran one in the course and my buddy Troy started at 22 and got into 35 off behind it at 34 mph. He said that the only thing that was an issue was the slight bump at the longer lengths. From a driver's standpoint it is harder to stay right in the middle of the boat guides because the rope is attached towards the back instead of in the middle of the boat. My only suggestion is to adjust the tunable rudder so that it wants to pull to the right like a normal ski boat. It's easy- just loosen the two allen screws on the rudder and move it a little each time. We just left the trailer in the water, adjusted, ran the boat for a minute, pulled it back out, adjusted, and so on. We got it perfect the third time. From the factory its adjusted so you can let go of the wheel at wakeboard speeds and the boat goes straight instead of wandering to the right.
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-30-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
Trent - quick question - why would you want it to wander to the right? Mine does and I want it to go straight when I let go of the wheel... ??
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-30-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
Its a great boat minus the silly vented windshield -- a beauty with a big pimple on it's forehead.
Old     (trentster)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
If you want to drive straight through a slalom course it really helps to have torque from the thrust of the prop on the steering wheel. This was always present until Malibu started using the adjustable rudder in 2006. From the factory they adjust the rudder so that it actually makes the boat go straight ahead when you let go of the wheel. The trade-off in the 32-36 mph range is that the steering is not "crisp." It actually feels really loose and the boat wanders all over when going through the boat guides in the slalom course. That's the only reason you would want to adjust the rudder so that it is back to neutral and there is torque steer to the right. You probably never noticed it in the pre-2006 boats, but trust me it was there. If you let go of the wheel the boat would go to the right.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-30-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
Here is one.Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-30-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
Trent - thanks for the info.
I asked because I have a 2007 vride and the did not adjust it. It pulls to the right. I have been trying to get it to run straight, so I was curious on why you would want it to turn. Makes sense. Take care.