Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-07-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
I just picked up the new Canon Digital Rebel 6.3 megapixel SLR ( http://www.canoneos.com/ ). I posted some of these pics in another thread but it is more appropriate here. Anyway, for $1000 this is an awesome camera and the point-and-shoot cameras don't come close to the quality of the images. Even with a low-end $200 75-300 USM zoom lens I got great results, but I expect even better results once I get a higher quality 70-200L series lens.

So here are some sample pics from my first week using the camera:

Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-07-2003, 1:22 PM Reply   
Bill I'm looking at getting that same camera. So you think it's really worth the money versus a little cheaper point and shoot camera? What do you like and dislike about it so far? I'm not a professional photographer by any means but I want to buy a digital camera that has a fast shutter speed and high qaulity pics.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-07-2003, 1:36 PM Reply   
Yes, I definitely think it's worth the money. No shutter lag and being able to change lenses are the biggest advantages. You really need a decent zoom to shoot wakeboarding and shutter lag makes it easy to miss a trick. The next thing is higher shutter speeds and the ability control all of the settings manually.

The only thing that I don't like so far is that amount of money I'm going to spend on all of the accessories that I now feel I have to have: more and bigger memory cards, higher quality flash, more lenses, etc.

But I think you can see from the pics above that the basic camera with a $200 zoom does a great job. The only thing you will have to buy is a CF memory card since the camera doesn't come with one, and also buy a USB card reader since transferring images from the camera is slow and wastes the battery.}
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-07-2003, 7:11 PM Reply   
Bill,
Just curious where did you buy your camera, what was included, and for how much?

No shutter lag is exactly what you need when shooting for tricks. I like how you can change it up and use different lenses too. It's just that I have a hard time spending that much money on a camera for recreational/consumer photography.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-08-2003, 12:00 AM Reply   
I get all my CF cards from Amazon. If you search the web they have the best price or at least comparable for the Lexar Pro's. It is the fastest media available at 40X and has a great warranty. They also come with a card reader.

Just in case you "might have" asked for advice :-)
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-09-2003, 3:27 PM Reply   
Thanks Peter, I'll be sure to check it out.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-09-2003, 11:08 PM Reply   
I bought my camera from Dell because it was 10% off during a recent sale. Apparently digital SLR cameras weren't supposed to be included in the sale but their web store didn't know that

So it was $913 shipped 2 day, no tax, for the kit which includes the camera and 18-55mm lens, no CF card. Most places sell the kit for $999 and it's hard to find it discounted because it's in short supply and high demand.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-07-2003, 5:50 PM Reply   
Some more pics from my Digital Rebel that I've posted in the non-wakeboarding area:

wave
luke
seagull
Old                12-10-2003, 6:48 PM Reply   
Wow those pictures are very sharp! I like the surfing set. Were you on shore when you took those?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-10-2003, 7:19 PM Reply   
those are amazing pics bill
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-10-2003, 8:29 PM Reply   
I was out on the jetty, which made it easier to get close to the action.

I'm glad you like the pics!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-15-2003, 11:59 PM Reply   

Thats how many individual hairs are on that birds feathers. I counted.
Old                12-16-2003, 4:32 PM Reply   
Good and perfect pictures!
Old     (ctrider)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-17-2003, 10:23 AM Reply   
Bill, Did you get the camera with the lens that comes standard or just the body? Is the lens that comes with the camera worth getting, or would it be better to buy the body and get a better lens separate?

Thanks for the info.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-17-2003, 11:42 AM Reply   
I got it with the kit lens, which is a decent lens for the money. Definitely not a great lens, but for less than $100 it's a good buy. Since then I've picked up a used 28-105mm lens off eBay, and a new 70-200 f4L lens for shooting wakeboarding.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-22-2003, 11:38 PM Reply   
Are are two of my favorite wakeboarding shots from my Digital Rebel:

Greg
Sean
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-23-2003, 7:55 AM Reply   
wow - the colors in the first pic are awesome. really rich. helps that both rider's color-schemes are coordinated, especially the first. very metrosexual of them! ;)
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-23-2003, 1:40 PM Reply   
Bill,

How does the camera perform straight out of the box? Do the images look good without having to buy a lenses or is that a must? I am looking to upgrade my camera and yours is high on my list. Also, does the camera have an option to out put high resolution(300 dpi) photos? Thanks.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-25-2003, 8:46 PM Reply   
The camera performs just fine out of the box. However, just like any SLR, lenses are an important investment and critical to getting good shots. For wakeboarding you'll want about a 135mm lens on the Rebel. I initially used a 75-300 lens (about $250) but upgraded to the Canon L series 70-200mm (about $600). It's great for wakeboarding but as you can see in the pics above the cheap lens does a pretty good job too (the surf pics were also taken with the 75-300mm lens).

It's not a point-and-shoot camera so it takes some time and effort to get great shots, but with some effort and skill you'll be able to capture moments that a p&s never could, at least not with the same quality.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       12-27-2003, 7:03 PM Reply   
Bill,

The second pic seemed to be missing something. I think I've got it fixed for you.
Old                01-07-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
Got to say my digital rebal has renewed my love for photography. Being able to see my pan blurs a second after taking them helps a ton. I know when I have the shot.

Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-07-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
Hey Bill,
I am also thinking of getting that camera. Regarding the lenses you use, are they special digital lenses or are they the same ones used on an SLR? I have an EOS A1 and would like to use those lenses
Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-07-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
Nick - the canon EF series lenses will work on both film and digital SLRs...
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-07-2004, 5:53 PM Reply   
Maestro is correct. In addition, Canon has announced a couple of new lenses in what they call EF-S series, which only fit the Digital Rebel.
Old                01-07-2004, 6:12 PM Reply   
One thing to keep in mind. You're standard eos lenses are multiplied by 1.6(you're 200mil will be a 320mil). My old strobe doesnt fire at all on auto like with my 1-n. I have to adjust it manually. It is a crappy 430ez, guess I will just have to use it as my slave driven strobe. Didn't really think about having to get a new flash, oh well, another new toy.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-08-2004, 10:58 AM Reply   
All of the pics in the Ricky G photo gallery were taken with the Digital Rebel. The riding shots were taken with a 70-200 f4L, and the rest with the kit lens, 18-55mm.

http://www.wakeworld.com/Galleries/Gallery.asp?GalleryID=163
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-08-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
Bill,

Have you messed around with more of the advanced options like Custom white Balance and the processing parameters? I am curious to know how the results would look. BTW, very nice pictures.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-09-2004, 12:10 AM Reply   
Just a little - sharpening and contrast. No need to play with the white balance because I've been shooting outdoors and it's been accurate. Lately I've been shooting in RAW mode and I have to get some experience converting the RAW images to .tiff or .jpeg, in which case the advanced options don't come into play because you control all of that in the conversion.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-26-2004, 9:55 AM Reply   
Hey Bill what shutter speed setting do you use for those wakeboarding pics with your zoom? I know you mentioned it in some thread but I can't seem to find it. Thanks, Sunday is my first day shooting wakeboarding, can't wait? Since I am a rookie any other tips would be awesome!!!
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-26-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
If it's a sunny day then usually 1/2000 @ f4 ISO 100.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-26-2004, 10:03 AM Reply   
Dang that was fast, thanks!!! I will post the results on Monday!! Cheers
Old                03-26-2004, 10:15 AM Reply   
bill

excelent choice with the camera, we just got the exact same camera about a month ago and love it. the quality is amazing, we also got a 150-300 lense, haze filter, 256mb memory card, and it kicks A$$
Old                08-26-2004, 12:10 AM Reply   
bill,

great pics! in november, i will celebrate one year of owning the sweetness that is the digirebel. Question for you about non-Canon brand flashes? do you know what the compatibility of the camera is with Quantaray flashes? so far, have not found one that is compatible with the AF features. Any input would be appreciated!
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-26-2004, 1:01 AM Reply   
Jay, check out this article for some good info on Canon and other brands: http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#eossystemflash

Your best bet might be a Canon 220EX which can be found on eBay for about $75 - $80.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       08-26-2004, 5:57 AM Reply   
Bill,
Have you installed the firmware hack? If so, what is the biggest improvement on it.

Tim
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-26-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
Tim, no I didn't install the hack. But I ended up selling it to a friend because I upgraded to the Canon 1D Mark II. I went with that camera for it's speed (8fps) and focusing system. The Rebel worked well for shooting from the boat but not as well from a chase boat due to it's 7 point AF system and AI Focus only working in sports mode.
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-26-2004, 2:42 PM Reply   
Tim, I installed the hack on my Rebel mainly for the flash compensation ability. I do a lot of indoor photography, so that was the biggest improvement for me. Really Jonesing for the new 20D. 5fps, up to 23 shots for the 20D as opposed to 2.5fps, up to 4 for the Rebel. 20D is definately an action camera, where the Rebel is more of a snapshot camera.

Daniel
Old     (oldschoolripper)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-26-2004, 3:20 PM Reply   
I second that Bill J, the rebel is not a good camera for shooting from a chase boat. The auto focus is terrible. I cannot afford the MK II, so I am upgrading to the 20D in hopes that it will have a much better autofocus. The burst rate and increased buffer will be much better also (I hope).
Old     (oldschoolripper)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-26-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
BTW Tim I see You're from Pontotoc, small world as I am from Tupelo. I bet I have seen you @ Bean's Ferry in Fulton before. I ride with Nathan Strange and crew. Crazy. Anyway, where do you plan on buying the 20D? I think Best Buy in Memphis is the best bet for locally, as the warranty you can buy is helpful or has been to me since my Rebel died for no reason took it back to them new one no questions asked. Also a link to my online wakeboard pic gallery on wakeboarder. cheers.
shelby

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8753
Old     (oldschoolripper)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-26-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
Sorry I meant BTW DANIEL

My Bad
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-27-2004, 6:56 AM Reply   
Shelby, Crazy man. We try to hit Bean's Ferry when we can. I'm in the Wakesetter that is in my profile. I have not ridden with Nathan, but I have a bud that has ridden with him or seen him ride, he says he's pretty sick. I'm probably gonna hold off on the 20D, although I'd love to have it, because the Rebel has been doing a pretty good job thus far. I work for a photography studio here in Pontotoc and we order from a Pro supply store. Believe it or not, I prefer the Rebel over the Fuji S2 Pros that we have. Canon just makes a better product. If you see us out, come over and hollar at us.

Daniel
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-27-2004, 7:02 AM Reply   
BTW, sweet photo gallery

Daniel
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       08-27-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
Daniel,
What exactly does the flash compensation do?
Tim
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-27-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
Your camera meters available light and adjust your compatible flash's output accordingly. Sometimes the camera gets it wrong (more often than not with my cheap flash)and the flash compensation allows you to adjust by increments how much more or less flash that you want for the situation. It also works well for shooting outside for a fill flash, where the flash is not lighting the whole subject, just the underexposed areas like the eyes. I usually set the FC down about a half stop to a stop in these cases.

Daniel