Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    wk_n_snw_rdr311            01-16-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
Arizona State University’s 1st Annual Collegiate Wakeboard Tournament: The February Freezer!

Hey what’s going on, I thought that I would put a post up to see if there were any individuals who are a part of any college wakeboard teams who would possibly be interested in being a part of the Arizona State Wake Devils first ever Collegiate Wakeboard Tournament: The February Freezer. We are currently planning all of the details (Who?, Where?, When?, etc.) but before we get too far, we just wanted to see if there was any interest from other colleges that would like to participate. Our goal here is not to just throw a tournament, but to start a collegiate league of our own to expand the sport as well as the competition among college students nation wide.

If you have any contact information of any School affiliated wakeboard teams/clubs, please post them so we can get them involved and get an even better turn out!

For more information about this tournament or about our organization please go to, www.WakeDevils.com

Thanks for listening,
Jon Quinn (ASU Wake Devils Vice President)
JonQ@WakeDevils.Com
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-16-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
Kansas State Skiing/Wakeboarding, waterski@ksu.edu
Also, most Midwest Region teams can be contacted through Team Midwest @ mcwsa.com. Most Midwest Region wakeboard teams are still ran through their water ski teams.

Is this event going to be at Town Lake? because that venue was horrible for the 2001 Nationals. The idea was good, but the reality was the site was not a good location for a competitive event.
Old    wk_n_snw_rdr311            01-16-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
I can assure you that it will NOT be at Tempe Town Lake!!!
Thanks for your input!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-16-2004, 11:30 AM Reply   
Thanks Jon, all I need to know.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-16-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
what if you're not part of a school but still want to compete?
Old    leftcoastpunk            01-16-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
Whats up Jon? Ready for school to start??
Old    wk_n_snw_rdr311            01-16-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
What ^ Michael...hell yeah can’t wait for skool to start, so I can start riding on a daily basis (again).
Danny, we are still working out the details, but we are not sure yet if others will be able to compete. I will post more details once they are decided upon.
Thanks a lot,
Jon
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-16-2004, 5:24 PM Reply   
Jon, from my experience, not that you care, you have to keep it college riders only if you want the college sport to progress. If you let everyone in, you are not pushing the sport at the college level. Thats just my opinion though. Carry on.
Old    wk_n_snw_rdr311            01-16-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
Thanks Nick, your input is greatly appreciated and i completely understand what you are saying!
Thanks again,
Jon
Old    buttacup            01-16-2004, 11:38 PM Reply   
Jon- Email csunwaterskiclub@yahoo.com and direct the attention to Travis/Magi. We might be interested in attending but I know cost of transportation at my school is an issue with alot of the students.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-17-2004, 6:28 AM Reply   
if you are compiling a list, grove.ufl.edu/~gatorski is our website should have contact info.

will we see any of you in panama city in march for the nationals?
Old    wk_n_snw_rdr311            01-17-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
what ^ tim...Yeah were gonna be in panama city 4 sure! we will definitely see you there!
Jon
Old     (zee)      Join Date: May 2001       01-18-2004, 8:07 AM Reply   
John, do you currently have any girls on your team? Last semester Mike Dezart said you guys needed girls, let me know if that's still the case. I might be interested in this February thing, depending on the date.
Old    wk_n_snw_rdr311            01-18-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
Leslie, what’s going on! We are always looking for new team members to add to our roster, especially girls to represent the Wakedevils in the girls divisions at the various tournament stops that we attend. If you are still interested in joining, check out our website (www.WakeDevils.com) and look at the calendar of events which is a pop up right when you go to the page. We have a few events planned this week as well as a meeting in the MU on Sunday. So hopefully I will see you there and if the meeting time doesn’t work for you, just drop me a line, JonQ@WakeDevils.com, and ill get you some more information.
Thanks a lot for your interest,
Jon Q

Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-18-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
Western Washington University has a team I know, not sure how to contact them to see if they are interested, but I do know that they are good.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-18-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
im sure if any university has a team it'll be represented on their web site, as csun's is.

i did one search on google for "university wakeboard team" and got these links:

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~wskiing/teamlinks.htm

http://dmoz.org/Sports/Water_Sports/Water_Skiing_and_Wakeboarding/Associations/

there's enough university ski/wakeboard team links there to keep you busy for awhile.
Old    wk_n_snw_rdr311            01-20-2004, 2:42 PM Reply   
hey any 1 else have any thoughts...?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-20-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
contact the National Collegiate Water Ski Association at www.ncwsa.com, they have a list of all ski/wake teams.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-20-2004, 7:28 PM Reply   
nick, that is all teams that participate in their tournaments. we have a team here at UF, however we only really compete at our own tournament and the WWA collegiate nationals. I would imagine other schools are similar.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-21-2004, 12:47 AM Reply   
I said they have a list of all ski/wake teams. I should have been clear, not all wakeboard teams. It was just a good start, that is about 140 teams, so it would be a good way to start. I still can't believe UF doesn't have a water ski team, though we really don't have a wakeboard team, so I guess that is how it goes. Do you guys think collegiate wakeboarding will ever be as well structured as collegiate skiing? It's good to see that some of you guys are finally taking initiative on campus. We can't get any wakeboarders to step up anymore. We have a lot of wakeboarders on our team that start tricking/jumping because of how much fun the tournaments are and there is virtually no structured college wakeboarding in the area.
Old    blind5            01-22-2004, 3:48 PM Reply   
some friends and i are starting a club at Auburn University allthough not officialy a university club, we would be really intrested in any kind of wakeboarding, i'll probably get some kind of remark back for this, but not water sking, events, tournaments, or whatever. I'm sure that we will be highly involved in the future. for now we are just waiting to become a charter
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-22-2004, 5:11 PM Reply   
Hey, the higher ups in my schools club are a little slow on the uptake so I'm going to send you their info. for them! Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, the website is www.wakeupcp.com, the presidents name is Matt Caserza and his home phone number is 805-544-2090. Our club used to be part of the Waterski Club but we split and then we got too rowdy at our kick off and they decided not to let us be a recognized official club.

I think a tourney like this would be fun, have different Divisions and then get an overall winner. Hell I'll do it even if I'm the only one from my school. Check out that site and then contact those dudes.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-22-2004, 5:37 PM Reply   
nick, we have literally 3 or 4 people that slalom, and i am probably the only person who has been off a jump and has jump skis. everyone else wakeboards and wakeskates. i really don't think that the collegiate wakeboarding will ever be structured, because we much rather spend all day on the boat hanging out with each other than spend all day on shore watching other people ride and taking one quick run. and i can definately vouch for the fun that the water ski team was at purdue. however in a similar way, i only was active in the club for 2 years because i'd rather spend all weekend riding as much as i wanted then riding once and spending all that $$$.
Old    snowake            02-04-2004, 12:41 AM Reply   
I haven't logged into WakeWorld in a while but...here I am. I might want to ride if the tournament happens, guess I might actually have to pay for the wakedevil membership this semester.

Do we have to invite Western Washington U? My friends from home all ride for them and they're really, really good...jk! I'd love to see them down here for it. I'll call a few and see what's up - Ennens, Van den Heuvel, etc.

Kati
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-08-2004, 9:06 PM Reply   
I want to start a team/club at SMU in Dallas. I am a freshman here so I feel that I have the time to see the club started and run for at least of couple of years to get it on its feet. I have looked at the Wake Devils website and am very impressed. We need more college students to start legitimate club teams at their schools so college wakeboarding can be as big as college waterskiing and not just a minor division in their tournaments. Let me know what you all think about this.
Andrew
Old    wk_n_snw_rdr311            02-16-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   

Tournament information has now been posted on the wakedevils web site!
www.WakeDevils.com
The date of the tournament will be March 13th, 2004 (saturday) and all universities are welcome to attend. The tournament will be held at Lake Pleasant right at the marina near the main launch ramp!
Thanks a lot for you interest and if you have any questions, please contact...
Jon Quinn: JonQ@wakedevils.com

Old    jetpilotrider03            02-18-2004, 2:14 PM Reply   
if you ask me, keep the waterski clubs out of it, they suck, esp. chico's, but were workin on a wakeboard/wakeskate club here
Old    missjade            02-19-2004, 11:53 AM Reply   
I know that Texas State has a big wakeboarding team. I'd check them out.
Old    blind5            02-22-2004, 6:16 PM Reply   
andrew, go talk to your sga. my sga gave me a booklet on all that we have to do to become an official club, right now we are just waiting on a letter of acceptence form our rec. sev. dept., then we will become an official club.

is anyone planing on going to the nationals in p.c.

we are thying to get togather a team considering that we are only 3 1/2 hours away
Old    wk_n_snw_rdr311            02-26-2004, 5:10 PM Reply   
yes, we will be in panama city for nationals 4 sure! its gonna be sick!
Hope to see all of you down there!
Old    wk_n_snw_rdr311            03-10-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
whats goin on every one!
This weekend is our tournament and so far things are looking really good!
I would just like to let every one know that if you were thinking about commin out to watch or compete it will be well worth your time. 103.9 (a local radio station) will be out there, 944 magazine will be there shooting for an article in their magazine, as well as HXE Wake Apparel Co. will have a booth set up as well. So if you were thinking about commin out we will be out there all day friday setting up/riding, camping that night and then the tournament will be going on all day saturday!
The tournament will be located near the main marina!
Hope to see you all out ther,
Jon Quinn
WakeDevils Vice President
www.wakedevils.com
Old    dertbiker2000            03-10-2004, 8:53 PM Reply   
Hey Jon,

weve spoken once or twice via email. This is travis/magi president of Csun's team and friend to david. How much does the insurance cost, we may possibly have 1-2 going. still not sure,
ANYWAYS GOOD LUCK HAVE FUN AND KIK AZZZZ
Old     (maydayone)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-15-2004, 5:47 PM Reply   
Yo Jon its chris from sdsu i just wanted to give it up to you man. The comp was insane. You guys did an awesome job with everything and we'll be at the next one for sure.