Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakemaker1)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-18-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
Just wondering who has the bigest badest system on the watter ?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-18-2011, 5:25 PM Reply   
Probably the same guy with a lifted truck and tiny Richard.

This thread will be interesting for sure
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-18-2011, 6:35 PM Reply   
Depends on your definition of "watter"
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-18-2011, 6:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySki View Post
Depends on your definition of "watter"
Hahahahahaha
Old     (wakemaker1)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-18-2011, 6:58 PM Reply   
water !
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-18-2011, 6:58 PM Reply   
I hear this guy named Lon has a nice setup!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-18-2011, 7:05 PM Reply   
^^^^rofl!!!!
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-18-2011, 7:11 PM Reply   
Tiny richard. Nice. Lets see em. Can't wait till summer. Boom boom pow. Wonder what crappy song will be played out this summer

Last edited by gravity; 01-18-2011 at 7:18 PM.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-18-2011, 7:20 PM Reply   
Should be a wake boat not a music station. Who cares
Old    mojo            01-18-2011, 7:22 PM Reply   
I use an iPod and splitters and dish out iPod headphones to my passengers
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-18-2011, 7:47 PM Reply   
I go to ride.
Old     (apwrx)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-18-2011, 7:57 PM Reply   
The guy with the deepest pockets. As long as there is no foul language i say crank the tunes.I dont have a big a** stereo but i dont mind them
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-18-2011, 8:10 PM Reply   
Throwing Lon out will always be priceless in these threads.
Old    mojo            01-18-2011, 8:12 PM Reply   
for those who hate on big/nice systems, you have to admit that music makes the experience much more enjoyable for everyone. im an audiophile so i tend to appreciate it more than your average joe, but the new wet sounds boat is pretty darn **** if you ask me.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-18-2011, 8:37 PM Reply   
The biggest systems with the most woofers and the most tower speakers are not always the most impressive sound wise although they may hold the most visual impact.
There have been some very significant systems in many aspects posted here in the last year.
For pure audio performance we have yet to come close to the best. There is so much more that can be done with the current level of products not to mention some of the newer products that are forthcoming.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (cprfab)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-18-2011, 9:50 PM Reply   
What constitutes the biggest baddest system, most power, most tower speakers, most/biggest subs or maybe the most outthere install?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-19-2011, 5:45 AM Reply   
I pay this guy to stand in the bow of my boat all day long... I win!
Attached Images

Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-19-2011, 6:31 AM Reply   
OK, let me try and ground this thread. I consider the system I have to be above average by far. I preffer loud but very detailed music to my system. It's tough in a boat environement but I've had many respond on mine with nothing but positives. I prefer most of my sound in boat and lesst tower. So here is what I have:

Tower: WS Pro 60's
In Boat: (3) pair JL 6.5
Subs: (2) JL 10W6v2, (1) JL IBW5
Tower Amp: Arc Audio KS300.2
In Boat Amp: JL HD600/4
Sub Amp (W6's) JL HD750/1
Sub Amp (W5's) JL M1400
Batteries: (2) Optima Blue Tops
Eq: WS 420
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-19-2011, 6:55 AM Reply   
The system going in my Axis A22 is

2 XSPower D3100 batteries
2 Wetsounds Syn4 amps
1 Wetsounds Syn1 amp
6 Wetsounds XS650 interior speakers
2 Wetsounds Pro 485 tower speakers
1 Wetsounds XXX 12'' sub
Wetsounds WS420 eq

Not the ultimate system, but more than adequate for me.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-19-2011, 8:13 AM Reply   
This boat has been wandering around on my local lakes!
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-19-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
If were simply talking "insane" this guy (Greg Christensen) has to be at or near the top:
Attached Images

Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-19-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
At what point do more tower speakers not add to the overall volume heard behind the boat. I'm thinking like 6.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-19-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
is anyone else wonder how that malibu is sitting upright without the jack down?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-19-2011, 10:23 AM Reply   
^^^^ The speakers counter balance the need for the wheel to be down.lol.
Old    stumpf101            01-19-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
the trailer light wires and plug are holding it up
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-19-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
Brian it's been held up by a forklift, you can see the arm to the left.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-19-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
Four speakers play 3 dB louder than two speakers. So how many speakers and how much more amplification does it take to play 3 dB louder than eight speakers? How far is the voltage sagging when these systems are played hard and how much are the amplifiers' power reduced when the voltage sags? Double the system rarely equates to double the performance. Past a certain point it does become a case of diminishing return or a case of an extreme expenditure as the dominoes fall into bigger voltage reserves, bigger charging system, bigger AC charger, bigger AC service in the storage garage and so on and so on.
BTW, I heard the go-fast boat shown above when at SEMA in Vegas years ago. It was loud. Big surprise, right? But, it sounded absolutely awful. I don't believe that the miserable sound quality was the fault of the grade of the equipment but had more to do with a sysytem that was designed for show rather than a design based on good fundamental acoustic principles.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-19-2011, 5:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
The system going in my Axis A22 is

2 XSPower D3100 batteries
2 Wetsounds Syn4 amps
1 Wetsounds Syn1 amp
6 Wetsounds XS650 interior speakers
2 Wetsounds Pro 485 tower speakers
1 Wetsounds XXX 12'' sub
Wetsounds WS420 eq

Not the ultimate system, but more than adequate for me.
Where are you going to put the XXX? Seems like the dry storage might be too small or you would lose all of it. Under the dash in the foot well of the drivers seat seems like it would be too small or you would lose all your leg room. I would love to put a XXX in our axis just not sure where I could put it and not lose all of the dry storage or leg room.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-19-2011, 5:27 PM Reply   
I think my buddies Axis has his sub installed in the fiberglass in front of the drivers feet.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-19-2011, 5:49 PM Reply   
This guy has everyone beat.
Name:  mtx-boat-marine-audio-1.jpg
Views: 18823
Size:  100.5 KB
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-19-2011, 6:44 PM Reply   
I'm putting the sub in the ob compartment. I'm going to relocate the batteries to the rear hatches. It will eat up a lot of space, but it did that in my 230.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-19-2011, 8:25 PM Reply   
OEM Kenwood head unit
WS-420
Syn6 powering the towers
Syn4 powering the in-boats
(2) Syn1's powering the subs
3 pair of XS-650's in the boat
Wet Sounds 3-Some on the tower
(2) Wet Sounds 12" XXX subs in separate ported enclosures
2 Stinger SP1500D batteries
1 Stinger SPP925 battery
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-19-2011, 8:26 PM Reply   
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-20-2011, 6:16 AM Reply   
Hahaha. I remember when I paintchopped that last picture!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-20-2011, 7:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
If were simply talking "insane" this guy (Greg Christensen) has to be at or near the top:
Something is magical about this boat. The jack is up but the trailer is floating. It also has a lot of speakers as ballast.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-20-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
Hate, Where does Greg keep his boards? I also wonder if there is a point where you are adding speakers, but you are not getting any additional sound. For clarity, I wonder if his boat would sound the same even if you took away 2, 4, 6, etc. of the speakers. And how is the trailer up without the jack?
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-20-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
fork lift - look closer
Old     (txstereo)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-20-2011, 9:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
Four speakers play 3 dB louder than two speakers. So how many speakers and how much more amplification does it take to play 3 dB louder than eight speakers? How far is the voltage sagging when these systems are played hard and how much are the amplifiers' power reduced when the voltage sags? Double the system rarely equates to double the performance. Past a certain point it does become a case of diminishing return or a case of an extreme expenditure as the dominoes fall into bigger voltage reserves, bigger charging system, bigger AC charger, bigger AC service in the storage garage and so on and so on.
BTW, I heard the go-fast boat shown above when at SEMA in Vegas years ago. It was loud. Big surprise, right? But, it sounded absolutely awful. I don't believe that the miserable sound quality was the fault of the grade of the equipment but had more to do with a sysytem that was designed for show rather than a design based on good fundamental acoustic principles.

David
Earmark Marine

Kudos David!

Its so commonly and mistakenly made that the thought of more speakers must have more sound, but if the knowledge of speaker design and efficiency, as well as amplifier design is realized then you would know that the amplifiers Dynamic Headroom or its Damping Factor are greatly reduced by heavy loads (low impedences) and insufficient voltage supply. Its impressive to see the systems that really have a well-thought design and execution of installation really outperform the ones that just have an over-abundance of components. ...and the look is better than a pile of speakers all over the place as well!
Hmmmmm.........Knowledge???, Installation Proficiency?, Proper Set-Up and Calibration? sure does make the point that a knowledgeable team of professionals makes the difference!

This is not a plug for my shop, or Davids....just a point that knowledge and installation integrity REALLY makes the system! Choose Wisely, Install Professionally, Enjoy Immensely!
Tom
Texas Stereo
www.boatstereo.com
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-20-2011, 11:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstereo View Post
Kudos David!

Its so commonly and mistakenly made that the thought of more speakers must have more sound, but if the knowledge of speaker design and efficiency, as well as amplifier design is realized then you would know that the amplifiers Dynamic Headroom or its Damping Factor are greatly reduced by heavy loads (low impedences) and insufficient voltage supply. Its impressive to see the systems that really have a well-thought design and execution of installation really outperform the ones that just have an over-abundance of components. ...and the look is better than a pile of speakers all over the place as well!
Hmmmmm.........Knowledge???, Installation Proficiency?, Proper Set-Up and Calibration? sure does make the point that a knowledgeable team of professionals makes the difference!

This is not a plug for my shop, or Davids....just a point that knowledge and installation integrity REALLY makes the system! Choose Wisely, Install Professionally, Enjoy Immensely!
Tom
Texas Stereo
www.boatstereo.com
The Law of deminishing returns, pretty much what pops into my head every time I see boats over loaded with speakers
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-20-2011, 11:56 AM Reply   
This is where we put our wetsounds sub in the Axis. Tons of room and the panel blocks it off but is vented around the wetsounds logo and where the carpet folds in. Havent noticed any issues with leg room.
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-20-2011, 12:05 PM Reply   
@Jeremy, I don't know him its from a previous thread for the wakeboard section called "beer for ballast". I think he's more into the partying if I had to guess as he has a beer keg and tap off the back of his boat. He seemed like a good guy, he got flamed pretty hard but took it all in stride.

I brought up the point of diminishing return when the X-Star with somewhere between 12-16 tower speakers was first introduced. It just doens't make sense to keep investing the sort of dollars that it costs to add additional sets of tower speakers and not get a good return. I have four now and its very loud I'm considering goign to 6 this summer but more for the opportunity to disperse the music in a wider path.
Old     (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-20-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
@Jeremy, I don't know him its from a previous thread for the wakeboard section called "beer for ballast". I think he's more into the partying if I had to guess as he has a beer keg and tap off the back of his boat. He seemed like a good guy, he got flamed pretty hard but took it all in stride.
I remember that Thread, he was getting blasted by everyone but didn't even get pissed and was totally cool about it. I thought the Tap out of the back of the boat was cool as hell!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-20-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
Hate,
That's a valid pusuit. I'm sure with four 770s you have no trouble hearing the music at 70/80 feet. And, one wonders what purpose the extra volume would serve. But, fanning out six for a broader dispersion pattern outside the wake with evenly distributed energy makes sense. Also, I can see how the fanned pattern would help to offset some of the combing effect and minimize off-axis phase issues inherent in a horizontal array. It does take alot of tower width to facilitate six across and still have the space in between the pods to set up the angles. Hope that works out for you as I'm buying into the idea.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-20-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
@txstereo - everything you have said is true, could not agree with you more.

But there is 1 fact of retail sales..... "The Customer is Always Right!"

I say this because your comment ...
"Hmmmmm.........Knowledge???, Installation Proficiency?, Proper Set-Up and Calibration? sure does make the point that a knowledgeable team of professionals makes the difference!"

Sounds like it points the finger toward the installer being at fault for a set up like the one above.... Make it know that this set up was done by a group of knowledgable installers who in the end took a back seat to the customer's request and proceeded as directed by that customer.

Why? because no matter how you direct the customer in making his/her decisions, in the end...

"The Customer is Always Right"

If I interpreted this wrong please ignore the comment above.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-20-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
I actually interpreted as him saying for people to not install their own systems and to go to an installer to do it for them.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-20-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
Pertaining to the system design responsibility and "the customer is always right":
I think the retailer or professional installer always has a responsibility to use their considerable experience and knowledge to guide the consumer in the right direction or at least to bring all the trickle down elements to his/her attention. That doesn't mean that budget or other motives won't be the deciding factor. So if you have provided the education and articulated potential risks and the consumer chooses to disregard those recommendations then by all means you will turn on a dime and follow the consumer's wishes unless it is a true personal or property safety issue. In that case the customer is always right until the customer is wrong. You still have to do the right thing.

Some consumers and hobbiests are more than capable of doing their own installs. Some don't listen to the voice of experience. And, some business establishments are not as qualified as many of the of the boat owners who enjoy the projects themselves. No one is making a blanket statrment.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-20-2011, 4:41 PM Reply   
Dave please stop with these over complicated replies. All this does is confuse people. K.I.S.S

More to come...
Old     (txstereo)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-20-2011, 4:45 PM Reply   
Wow- Debate time here huh? Maybe thats why I tend to stay away from blogs!
Obviously we listen to the customer, and many times will do what the customer wants regardless of our knowledge-based direction. I try to offer the best components for the application, and support them with the required installation hardware and expertise, as well as taking the time to focus on the most crucial part of the install being the calibration!
I certainly dont want to tell anyone that they are incapable, as I have seen some impressive detail work performed by customers who are doing it themselves......all I was stating that the time spent on the details and calibration make the installation.......and if you are not versed in the product, application, or environment it is of great value to find a professional who is, and has the expertise to make your investment enjoyable!
You make an educated decision before you make a substantial investment in your boat, why not do the same before you make an investment in your stereo and the professional you trust to install it?
Tom
Texas Stereo
www.boatstereo.com
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-20-2011, 5:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Dave please stop with these over complicated replies. All this does is confuse people. K.I.S.S
Its not Dave its Odin
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-20-2011, 10:54 PM Reply   
@ the peanut gallery. Hate to be the black sheep of the bunch but debating Sound quality in a thread titled, "INSANE Systems" is just plain nonsense. To me, hanging 50" plasma's from a G3 is insane. Hella cool though (nods to factory Kitted).

There are all kinds of reasons why people put what they put on their boats. And it goes way beyond stereos. I had a call from someone today that wants to goto the effort to put 12 of our SXT65's across a MasterCraft tower and he wants to goto the effort to custom paint the cans to match his boat. Insane? yes... Will it help the sound quality? I dont think thats really on his mind.

This aint IASCA gents. Just keep the volume down so you dont get us all kicked off the water! post up the pix!

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-20-2011, 11:45 PM Reply   
Thanks Brian - but you should actually tip your hat to Tom @ Texas Stereo for turning this insane idea into a reality!
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2011, 7:23 AM Reply   
When is somebody gonna put a pair stadium horns on their tower? If it's about loud, they would win, hands down. Probably cheaper in the long run too.

Those mega quantity car speakers make me laugh every time.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-21-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
what about that pic of the x-star with all the wetsounds..that thing was nuts! i bet it was SUPER loud
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-27-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
You mean this one?
Attached Images

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-27-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
yeah that one! i bet it would be miserable for passengers but id love to ride behind that thing one time!
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-02-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
Most insane system IMO:

Now before you go bashing the forward facing speakers...read the thread and response from the owner on MalibuCrew.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...-malibu-video/

Here are the pics: http://www.facebook....id=192878472320

Kustom Sound:
-Clarion CMV 1 DVD Deck
-Wesounds WS 420 Equalizer and PA
-Wetsounds Interior and Tower Speakers including:
Interior:
-8 XS-650 Interior Speakers

Tower: 13 Speakers including:
-2 Pro-60's
-2 Pro-80's
-1 3-Some (1 485 and 2 Pro 80's)
-1 Double-Up (2 MB8's and 2 Pro 60's)
-All of the clamps on all speakers are custom drilled to show no wiring. We do this on ALL of our marine installs. It is an INSANE signature...

Subs:
-4 Kustom Sub Boxes (two in the back lockers that contain 2 Atomic Apocalypse 15" Subs, one in the front locker and one under the driver that both contain 2 Atomic Apocalypse 12" subs. Each sub is individually powered by a SYN 1 amp (1000 watts). It hits like crazy...love it!

Amps:
-3 Kustom Amp Box's
-Kustom Wetsounds Wrap for Amp Box
-2 SYN Micro (250 watts RMS)
-2 SYN 6 (600 watts RMS)
-1 SYN 2 (700 watts RMS)
-1 SYN 4 (400 watts RMS)
-4 SYN 1 (1000 watts RMS)
-2 Vibe Line Drivers (Amplifies signal to Amps)

Kustom Power:
-1 Tsunami 40 Farrat Capacitor
-Kustomized Capaitor Enclosure
-6 Treo SSX 100B Batteries
-2 Power Supplies

Kustom Lighting:
-RGB LED Lights (Pick Your Color!) on:
-Amp Boxes
-Tower Speakers
-Interior Speakers
-Front and Back Blower Vents
- 14 Cup Holders
-Wakesetter Emblems on Tower and Interior
-RGB LED settings can be single color, multi-color or motion (red, green, blue, purple, yellow, aqua)
-Kustom Strobe Lighting on Interior and Transom Lights
-All lighting can be controlled by remote up to 50 yards away.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-02-2011, 2:38 PM Reply   
http://player.vimeo.com/video/18262398

There is the direct link to the video. Amazing video

gallery on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...d=192878472320

Here are a couple.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Attached Images

Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-02-2011, 4:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermustang35 View Post
This is where we put our wetsounds sub in the Axis. Tons of room and the panel blocks it off but is vented around the wetsounds logo and where the carpet folds in. Havent noticed any issues with leg room.
Did you make your own subbox and if so do you have the dimensions/plans? If so did you use a sealed or vented box? I want to install a sub in the same location on the a22 I have on order and was leaning towards wetsounds, but am waiting on the boat to come in so I can get some measurements.