Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-25-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
I've got an iPhone 3G and it's about done, so I'm looking to upgrade. Obviously, iPhone 4 is a choice, but the fact that iPhone does not support Flash or tethering (through AT&T) makes me want to look elsewhere. I want to stay with AT&T because their coverage works well for me. I don't know anything about other phones, so does anyone have a suggestion?

My main reason for sticking with the iPhone would be that it just works great in all areas (except those noted above) and I'm stuck with a lot of iTunes music that I would either have to convert to MP3's (major pain in the butt) or I would have to use a separate iPod for my music (also a pain in the butt).

The things I use the most on the iPhone are GPS/mapping, iTunes and a few apps that I'm sure will be available on other phones. I don't give a crap about games.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old    deltahoosier            09-26-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
your not going anywhere. You'll get the Iphone 4. Get the Tom Tom software for it and you will fall in love all over again. Do you really need to tether? The flash thing would be nice. All I know is Iphone was everything I waiting for in a phone. I even can view power point presentations. The new camera is 720p for movies with the imovie app.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-26-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
Is the Tom Tom app a one time buy?
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-26-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Droid is where it is at .
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-26-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
If you like AT&T no reason to have anything other than the iphone4. I love my phone.

AT&T is crap here, so I will be grabbing a verizon iphone first chance I get.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
I'm debating similar issues. How hard is it really to convert iTunes to MP3 or use iTunes on a Droid?
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-26-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
I have one of the earlier Droids. The eris. Like most people, my music is in iTunes because before having a Droid I listened to music on my Ipod nano. Now I just use my phone as my music player. All I have to do is connect my phone using USB cord. Click mount on my phone. Then I can open up the folder on my phone as if it is a jump drive. Next I just drag all of my music from the itunes folder straight to my phone. If songs were purchased through iTunes store then you will have to use a different method for those songs. Will have to convert to MP3 but it is not difficult. Simple google search will give you every detail about doing it.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-26-2010, 4:57 PM Reply   
There is an app called iSyncr works perfect for syncing your iTunes to your Android, you can select to sync whichever category of your itunes library you like--music, videos, and also specific playlists. It's pretty quick too
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-26-2010, 5:14 PM Reply   
iSyncr does not work with iTunes that have DRM, which is my main problem. However, from their FAQ I have learned that iTunes music no longer has DRM since April of 2009. I think that's why you pay 30 cents more for each song now. I've also noticed that I can convert my recent downloads to MP3 using iTunes. However, I still have a lot of older iTunes music that, as far as i know, I can only convert to MP3 by burning it to a CD and then ripping that CD. Obviously, that's a big pain in the butt since you have to do it 10-15 songs at a time.

I also notice that AT&T now supports tethering on the iPhone 4, but they want an extra $15 per month, which is just ridiculous considering they're already jacking me an extra data charge for having the iPhone in the first place. Plus, I'll rarely use it, but when I need it, I really need it. I believe you can tether if you jailbreak your iPhone 4, but I have no idea what the drawbacks are when you jailbreak your iPhone. Anyone know?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-26-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
^^^^ That is classic hahaha

Any Android platform phone will be good. There are some that have a few more features than others. AT&T has a Samsung Galaxy S series phone that I would recommend if you want to stay with you carrier. If you change carriers, there are other Android phone that would also suit you also.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-26-2010, 8:36 PM Reply   
Jailbreaking an iphone 4 is bad in Apple's opinion, then again they don't like jailbreaking to begin with.

Could take down cell sites and steal your identity, maybe... Whoever wrote the article doesn't seem to believe a word of it though, and if it is true there would more than likely be cases of it happening in the wild already.

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-...-your-identity

Last edited by jtnz; 09-26-2010 at 8:45 PM. Reason: .
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-26-2010, 8:50 PM Reply   
I've had the 3gs since it came out and it has been jailbroken from day 1. No problems with it, but I couldn't tell you on the tethering. The best part is being able to change your text tones.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
Help me out with a dumba*s question: Tethering?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-27-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tethering
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
Thx Wes.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-27-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
HTC Incredible, i don't think AT&T offers that though. I've actually got wireless tethering on my Incredible, which comes standard on the Android 2.2 phones. Thing is, I get it for free. Otherwise I think they charge $20 or something ridiculous like that. Any HTC phone with android would be good; I'm not sure what AT&T has for android phones. I jailbreak/rooted my phone, which is super easy with the HTC phones. It gives you free wireless tethering, file folders, flashlight function on your phone (lights up a standard room pretty dang well), 720p HD video recording w/flash while recording, wireless app sharing, and the GPS navigation is really nice (not sure how it compares to the Iphone), another thing it has on the Iphone is Adobe Flash 10.1, Hulu on your phone, and probably some other stuff I can't remember. If you do go with an HTC, PM me and I can let you know how to root your phone and get all the extra goodies.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-27-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabell View Post
^^^^ That is classic hahaha

Any Android platform phone will be good. There are some that have a few more features than others. AT&T has a Samsung Galaxy S series phone that I would recommend if you want to stay with you carrier. If you change carriers, there are other Android phone that would also suit you also.
Galaxy is definitely a good choice for an Android too. Switching carriers, I would say the Evo or the Incredible. possibly the Droid X if they've worked out their problems. BIG phone though
Old    deltahoosier            09-27-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
The Tom Tom app is a one time buy as far as I can tell. Not sure what you are asking in that regard? Put it this way, I bought it once and have down loaded it to at least 4 devices now. Best money I have spent on an app yet. Voice directions and all maps are downloaded to your phone so you don't need cell towers to use it. It also works on the Ipad. I bought my wife one of the high end Tom Tom's a few years ago and I don't ever bread that thing out anymore. I love the features when you are on a freeway and need to be in certain lanes the graphic will drop down to your view and put arrows on all lanes that you can be in to get where you need to go.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-27-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
Just get the iphone 4... Youll be happy lol
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-27-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Nothing beats the iPhone experience for me. This is where I knew I would never turn back:

1. I hear a song I love in the boat, in a car, while shopping, or wherever.
2. I bust out my phone and click Shazaam
3. Shazaam identifies the song, locates the song, connects me to iTunes where I buy.
In a matter of seconds I own that song
4. I plug my iphone into my car, my boat, my motorcyle, and my laptop when I get home to sync with my other iPod and library.

If you're a music lover like me, the experience Apples provides is hard to beat.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-27-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
I'd also recommend a Droid phone like the Droid Incredible. You'd have to switch to Verizon, though. The plus side is you'll be with a better carrier and have better service overall (in general). I would check with friends around you that have Verizon to see how it compares to AT&T where you live.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
J-Rod, You're post is one of the reasons I've been thinking of waiting until January for the rumored iPhone-Verizon hookup. iPod is so easy to use I'm not completely ready to abandon it. And, phone/music in the same gadget is where I'd like to go.
Old     (dukenukem)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-27-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
If you're stuck on AT&T, you have no reason to get any phone other than the iphone. I love my original Droid, but would have an iphone in a heartbeat if Verizon ever picked it up. Also for all you Android users with iTunes issues, download Motorola Media Link on your PC. Awesome application that let's you sync your iTunes and android together SEAMLESSLY. Hope that helps!

Last edited by dukenukem; 09-27-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added info
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbuchholz View Post
Galaxy is definitely a good choice for an Android too. Switching carriers, I would say the Evo or the Incredible. possibly the Droid X if they've worked out their problems. BIG phone though
Being an Evo owner and I would definitely agree with for Sprint. Wife has one and a friend has one. Both are really non-phone savy people and really love the phone. Definitely was a game changer.

The Droid series for Verizon is good. The incredible is HTC's flavor with the Sense User Interface. You definitely want that interface since HTC has spent a ton of money developing it. The Droid X is having some issues right now with the update to the next version of the Android system but I am sure the kinks will be worked out.

If Sprint and Verizon isn't good in your area, then they are not for you. Don't base your decision of a phone because you like a phone but base the decision on which provider will best suit your needs. I chose Sprint because I get great service in my area. T-Mobile for service sucks big time while AT&T is okay. Sprint would be cheaper IMO but that again would require a shop around.

The iPhone 4 is probably a good phone but not for everyone. There is jailbreaking for the iPhone and rooting for the Android phones that will enhance and provide you more stuff that you might want to do. If it violates your warranty, you take that chance. Nothing against it but there are repercussions that could arise.

Good luck.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-27-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
"You'd have to switch to Verizon, though. The plus side is you'll be with a better carrier and have better service overall (in general). "

Verizon sucks donkey balls where I live.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-27-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Nothing beats the iPhone experience for me. This is where I knew I would never turn back:

1. I hear a song I love in the boat, in a car, while shopping, or wherever.
2. I bust out my phone and click Shazaam
3. Shazaam identifies the song, locates the song, connects me to iTunes where I buy.
In a matter of seconds I own that song
4. I plug my iphone into my car, my boat, my motorcyle, and my laptop when I get home to sync with my other iPod and library.

If you're a music lover like me, the experience Apples provides is hard to beat.
I do all of those things with my Droid X. I was so amped on the iPhone until I really played around with a droid. I am loving it. Will never look back.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-27-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
I'm likely to get a promotion at work that'll include a Blackberry with internet for instant e-mail. I have MY 3G (that I use on a company plan without the data plan, so I use wi-fi) and am wondering what I will do if I am forced to change. It's corporate to have the Blackberry, but I really wonder how much it's gonna suck. I fought Apple "forever" and used Yahoo! music when others were already using I-tunes because I didn't want to be herded. Now, here I am: Wondering how I'll live without my I-phone w/o the cool apps and all my music to have at will. Heck, last month while on a road trip, I was wishing I had I-phone/pod controls in all my car stereos! Good luck deciding which phone to get.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-28-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabell View Post
Being an Evo owner and I would definitely agree with for Sprint. Wife has one and a friend has one. Both are really non-phone savy people and really love the phone. Definitely was a game changer.

The Droid series for Verizon is good. The incredible is HTC's flavor with the Sense User Interface. You definitely want that interface since HTC has spent a ton of money developing it. The Droid X is having some issues right now with the update to the next version of the Android system but I am sure the kinks will be worked out.

If Sprint and Verizon isn't good in your area, then they are not for you. Don't base your decision of a phone because you like a phone but base the decision on which provider will best suit your needs. I chose Sprint because I get great service in my area. T-Mobile for service sucks big time while AT&T is okay. Sprint would be cheaper IMO but that again would require a shop around.

The iPhone 4 is probably a good phone but not for everyone. There is jailbreaking for the iPhone and rooting for the Android phones that will enhance and provide you more stuff that you might want to do. If it violates your warranty, you take that chance. Nothing against it but there are repercussions that could arise.

Good luck.

The rooting for Android phones can be reversed and set back to stock pretty easily, no more void warranty. I think hes right though, it really comes down to what service works best for you, Dave. Don't buy a Droid or HTC phone if that carrier is no good in your area. If at&t is your best, get the iPhone. Working for a phone company, I'd say Verizon is your best bet if the coverage is good in your general area. The Droid/HTC series can't be beat right now, it has practically everything the iPhone does and more. Plus, at&t's network is having a hard time keeping up with the data bandwidth, and ive heard that unlimited data may become no longer an option on at&t plans in the future, and become charged by kb/mb/gb, But thats just talk.

As for those talkin about Verizon picking up the iPhone, I don't see it happening. It's at&t's money maker and i think they'll do everything possible to keep the iPhone exclusive. Plus, I've heard that the reason Verizon hasn't picked up the iPhone is because of the "no removable battery" issue. Seems odd to me, but i guess something that small could keep it from happening.

Jarrod where do you live? Literally the first time I've EVER heard of someone not getting good service with Verizon

Sent from HTC Incredible

Last edited by benbuchholz; 09-28-2010 at 9:11 AM.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-28-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
I live in the San Fran East Bay. Verizon does not work at my home. Pretty pathetic. I ran 2 identical blackberries, one V, one ATT, side by side for months. ATT had much better service.

Jessica, Is your Droid integrated with iTunes? What do you use to sync up with your computer and other mp3 devices like a dedicated iPod or something similar?

Is your car/boat stereo integrated so that it charges while playing through your various automobiles?
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-28-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post

Jessica, Is your Droid integrated with iTunes? What do you use to sync up with your computer and other mp3 devices like a dedicated iPod or something similar?
I use doubleTwist. Works great with iTunes. I've actually sold my iPod since getting my new phone. I had no use for it anymore.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
J-Rod brings up a whole other issue that I haven't even thought about. I have iPod connectors in the boat & both cars. The one in the Beemer that connects to the stereo was expensive ($140). These probably won't work with Droids causing me to start all over with stereo connections. Or will they?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-28-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
"I've actually sold my iPod since getting my new phone. I had no use for it anymore."

Yeah that wouldn't work for me. I use my iphone as an ipod, but sometimes I need my phone in my pocket while the music is slumpin from another source. I also don't like leaving my iphone out in the open in the boat where it could be damaged, velcroing it to the tank of my bike, or taking it on runs/mtn bike rides. I need a dedicated mp3 player that syncs up to the same source as my phone.

So doubletwist is like a middleware that interfaces with itunes and your phone?

I think there are still way more options for vehicle integration with the iPod / iPhone, than any other phone. Otherwise you're using the headphone jack to interface, and you have a cigarette lighter charger plugged in as well.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-28-2010, 5:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah that wouldn't work for me. I use my iphone as an ipod, but sometimes I need my phone in my pocket while the music is slumpin from another source. I also don't like leaving my iphone out in the open in the boat where it could be damaged, velcroing it to the tank of my bike, or taking it on runs/mtn bike rides. I need a dedicated mp3 player that syncs up to the same source as my phone.
You can still put the music you purchase on your phone on an Ipod. Plug in your phone and copy any new music to iTunes.

I use shazam and Amazon music all the time just the way you described J-Rod.

IMO, Droids are just as easy to use as iPhones for music but I like the music player better. I can have my phone in sleep and still change songs and adjust the volume.

All that said I still like the iPhone but I hate the carrier and Steve Jobs.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-28-2010, 8:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
AT&T is crap here, so I will be grabbing a verizon iphone first chance I get.
you've got a long wait.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-29-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
"You can still put the music you purchase on your phone on an Ipod. Plug in your phone and copy any new music to iTunes."

I guess I would have to see it done. Being able to copy it over, and plugging in for an automated sync sound quite different.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-29-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Being able to copy it over, and plugging in for an automated sync sound quite different.
It is, but you can do an automated sync with other programs (Double Twist, Motorola Media, Rapsody, etc.) they just honestly suck compared to iTunes for ease of use. This is why I just copy music over and make playlists on the phone itself. When I intitally purchased the phone I used Motorolas software which pulled over all my iTunes music and playlists but again its clumsy and slow so since then I have been just drag and dropping it in and or ordering directly from the phone.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-29-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
Hate, try iSyncr, it is really basic and gets the job done quickly as well as transfers over playlists perfectly.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-29-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
Thanks Ray I will.